Mounting Tri-Corner Traps

ajzepp

Mounting Tri-Corner Traps
« on: 24 Apr 2019, 06:18 am »
Hey all

So Im in the process of converting a room to a theater room. I have three tri-corner traps from GIK that aren't going to work in a stackable or floor standing configuration. I saw some GIK photos of studios where these are mounted horizontally up on the wall, which is what I'd like to consider doing. Supposedly it's done by using L-brackets, but based on the photos I saw, I dont see how this is possible. Anyone have any advice?

Am I able to screw a couple Z brackets onto the back of the tri trap? I have no idea what these things are made of. If I'm able to screw a bracket onto it, that'll be a relatively easy way to hang them up. Just wasn't sure if that would harm the trap.

I did email GIK about it, so waiting to hear back, but trying to consider all options.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2019, 08:05 am by ajzepp »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Mounting Tri-Corner Traps
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2019, 08:59 pm »
Several options.

1.  A couple of L brackets into the wall for 1 edge to sit on and 1 on the ceiling to keep it from tipping forward.

2.  Cut a pair of french cleats to grab the wall and ceiling edges.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2019, 12:14 am »
Thanks man, I appreciate that. I think that's what wasn't registering in my brain, was using two brackets...wasn't making sense to me how one was going to get the job done. Thanks for clarifying.

Hipper

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2019, 04:47 pm »
Presumably the idea of 'L' brackets is that you bend them so they have an angle the same as the Tri-traps (45 degrees?). I would think first, install the brackets, then bend them as if you bend them first you may not be able to install them.

I have Soffit Traps. They are made with a wooden frame and on one side of the end pieces GIK have made a slot with a screw hole, the idea being that you put a screw in the wall that sticks out the width of the wood and you push the screw hole onto the screw then slide it along the slot. You could perhaps drill such a slot and hole.

Another way might be to use a couple of those 'L' shaped picture hooks:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=l+shaped+picture+hooks&crid=3H73W46QCW7PK&sprefix=L+shaped+picture+hooks%2Cpopular%2C138&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_22

then make a hole in the cloth and hook the top Tri-trap frame over the hooks.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2019, 05:24 pm »
Thanks Hipper...I picked up some hardware to play around with, so hopefully all the feedback I've been given will result in, as Borat says, "great success!"  Much appreciated :)

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2019, 06:54 am »
Forgot that the wall/ceiling angle was a bit wider than the trap. Had to improvise a bit, but came out pretty clean.

Thanks for the input all, and especially to Mike Peas, whose studio traps gave me the idea to begin with. I've had these tri traps for several years, and really wanted them to work in this room. Corner stacking wasn't going to be quite as clean as I wanted it.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2019, 06:56 am »
Sorry, I have no idea why like every fifth photo I post comes out on its side...

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2019, 11:17 am »
Here you go.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2019, 11:34 am »
Thank you, good sir!

Hipper

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2019, 04:17 pm »
Remember of course that you can place the traps in the wall-wall corners for listening then store them somewhere else. That's what I do with one corner of Soffit traps where there's a door.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2019, 04:59 pm »
Remember of course that you can place the traps in the wall-wall corners for listening then store them somewhere else. That's what I do with one corner of Soffit traps where there's a door.

I've got about 16 other panels arriving soon for the room, I mainly wanted to mount it horizontally b/c it doesn't fit properly in the corner with the window sill. And the way my brain works, it would bother me to have them stacked in one corner on the floor but not the other. I like symmetry.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2019, 11:26 pm »
Thought Glenn was moving in for a minute there...