Klaus's Massive Rack

martinr

Klaus's Massive Rack
« on: 9 Feb 2020, 09:15 pm »
Klaus made me a massive rack....I have used an inexpensive fairly flimsy audio stand for years.  Picked up the massive rack shipped in 8 boxes from Southwest Air freight at DIA yesterday morning.   Had the rack assembled by last night.....what surprised my wife and I was the improvement in detail the massive rack provided.  The 2" MDF shelves apparently significantly dampen vibration compared to the old flimsy shelves I had my system sitting on.  We used BMW metallic grey paint on the risers, these will match my Tekton MOABS when I receive them in a few days.  Here's a pic: 
- Martin

Chris Adams

Re: Klaus's Massive Rack
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2020, 09:26 pm »
That is sharp! :thumb:

spacedghost

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2020, 12:42 am »
That thing is a beast..  very nice

Also interested in hearing the thoughts on the Moab's after you get some time on them.

Shaun

Meicheng

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2020, 01:51 am »
Klaus is a multi-talented guy!!!

xsb7244

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2020, 02:07 am »
price?

fado

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2020, 02:40 am »
What material are the risers?

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2020, 03:50 am »
Who doesn't appreciate a massive rack...

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2020, 04:47 am »
The nice thing about the Massiv racks is that you can design them exactly as you wish with different colors for the metal support columns and different veneers on the MDF shelves (and if needed matching speaker stands).  I've been enjoying mine for about 5.5 years.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2020, 01:28 pm »
price?

I believe they're all custom builds with quoted prices for each design.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2020, 01:58 pm »
Good looking rack, but those amps aren't getting much airflow down there.(?)

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2020, 11:06 pm »
The amps don't really need that much ventilation...and the height can be designed any which way you want or need....

And yes, the racks are made to order for individual designs,  are much less $ than other high end racks (starting at around 1 K) ,  can be painted or anodized with unlimited combinations of finish and wood choices,  and,  most important,  sound good.....

If the word gets around as to how good they really are,  and when compared to 5 K +  racks,  how much they hold their own,  I'd never have the time to make amps again,  heheheeeee

Martin,  looks great,  have fun .........

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2020, 12:22 am »
"The amps don't really need that much ventilation..."

How much is enough?

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2020, 12:48 am »
"The amps don't really need that much ventilation..."

How much is enough?

Depends on the amp (and in some cases what one is driving with the amp) as not all amps have the same design.  Don't forget the racks are open at the sides and back.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2020, 01:06 am »
I like that long low you have there Phil, looks nice.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2020, 01:38 am »
I like that long low you have there Phil, looks nice.

Thanks - I designed it so that I can have the screen not too high.  Had Salamander Synergy 40 inch towers with a bridge (still use them in a secondary system) in my old house and had the screen above that and it was a little high to my liking.  Since I have an integrated AV system as the main system, I wanted enough space for the components as well.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2020, 01:43 am »
I also have two pairs of speaker stands that were made to match for the side and rear surrounds and due to limitations, I had to have one set of stands (for the rear surrounds) a drop lower.  Below is when I had the rack delivered (but not yet unboxed). 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2020, 11:29 am »
I've found that equipment racks obscure the soundstage if placed between the main speakers.  To keep cabling short and easily accessible best to keep the system simple and on amp stands low to the floor. 

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2020, 09:19 pm »
That is your experience,  but wayyy too simplified.  All depends on the room,  type of speakers, speaker position,  etc.....I have my system back in between the speakers,  and it works great..........

martinr

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2020, 01:56 pm »

martinr

« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2020, 02:00 pm »
Good looking rack, but those amps aren't getting much airflow down there.(?)
Rusty,

I've had these kismet Hybrids for about 11 years...upgraded from stratos monos about 7 years ago...they have always been on lower shelves with similar space around them and have always run just slightly warm...never had a problem with ventilation.