UPDATED: 🍒 Maraschino, x-CHerry, and MEGAschino REVIEWS

ealtan

Re: UPDATED: 🍒 Maraschino, x-CHerry, and MEGAschino REVIEWS
« Reply #220 on: 13 Feb 2020, 05:32 pm »
STM King review:

My sources: Macbook pro running Tidal, firewire connected to TC electronic audio interface, Teac TN-300 turntable with Behringer src2496 ad converter, all connected to Music Hall cdac 15.3, that connected to Behringer deq2496 and that to Holo Audio Cyan.(all digital connected)
My speakers Audio Nirvana 10" Alnico with a cabinet I designed and KEF LS 50 for nearfield monitoring.

I reviewed STM King and after 300 hours, changing my dac, changing all power cables, and with final deq adjustment, I'm so much satisfied now, that I can not write anything detailed or comparing, without trashing my previous equipments...
I have also the previous room correction measurements and they are also the proof of my thoughts... That's why I'm not writing my real detailed review before selling my previous amplifier and dac.

But I have few words:

I'm using Holo Audio Cyan dac now. After 200 hours burn in (yes it took that much) and changing it's stock power cable to Pangea 14 awg, and putting a new Supra Lorad mkii power cable with Sonar Quest euro plug in Cherry STM, the overall sound is more than satisfying.

I believed in burn in process in speakers and a little possibility in electronics as well but power cables??? they can make changes???  but they did. Especially not using the 115V to 230V adapters... 
In that period I didn't like the overall sound very much and never made a critical listening more than 10 minutes, not to adjust my ears... but I measured it. That's why I had to re-equalize the room response again and again. (I did it 3 times) after the burn-in process and cables changed, the sound has less db bumps and spikes. Not my ear but the mic detected near to 3 db corrections in 25hz - 35 hz area and 17khz - 20 khz area. And that affected the sound in a very weird, positive way. Now there is less bumps and spikes to equilize in my hearing area...that means less deq corrections, less interference, the better the overall sound...

Your STM made my speakers sing. I knew they were very detailed but not this much!

I haven't heard anything more detailed and smooth and fast at the same time, not only it's price range, but 3x price range! The air between instruments is more than I can describe. But the detail in mid-section, that was the real surprise for me, something I never expected...

It got very good friends with Holo Cyan Dac. (In Nos mode)
The connection is made with Mogami XLR balanced cable. (I liked it very much) Together with STM King; they especially make string instruments (cello, violin) become alive! (I can easily say without any hesitation; I haven't heard any partners better in this department) I play violin and the sound literally made me cry... A few times...

I prefer the total sound with all of my equipment more than 25.000 dollar ATC SCM 100 Actives with Bluesound node 2 streaming Tidal. Yes they are still better in detail department (just by hair) but not in fluidity and organic tonality... not in musicality. Instrument separation was very good in that system (the best I've heard up to now) but I have more stage deepness. More 3D...

The only system I liked very much and bested (according to what i remember, what's left in my mind) is Opera Consonance m15 se with a tube McIntosh pre - power amps and Linn Turntable as a source (in a acoustically treated room), which are much, much more than 25.000 dollars. And I feel I'm getting really close...

So as a conclusion; your amp is a success. If people were given a listening opportunity in a very good demo room, with very good speakers, with a more fancy look, and 2 inputs at the back, and a remote volume and selection control, I wouldn't be surprised if it's sold for 3000 - 3500 dollars. (Even I like the looks, and find it much more nice looking than the pictures, people expect more for that amount of money)

The only 2 problems I have is; a remote control (which I handled with Holo Cyan, so that's no problem anymore) and it gets too hot.(for a class d amp)

That's all for now,
Enjoy

Wind Chaser

« Reply #221 on: 13 Feb 2020, 05:51 pm »
...it gets too hot.(for a class d amp)

How hot would that be?

ealtan

« Reply #222 on: 15 Feb 2020, 07:58 pm »
How hot would that be?
You can not touch it with your bare hands more than 2, 3 seconds after 3 hours listening...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #223 on: 16 Feb 2020, 12:27 am »
You can not touch it with your bare hands more than 2, 3 seconds after 3 hours listening...
The MK2 version runs significantly cooler.

ealtan

« Reply #224 on: 16 Feb 2020, 08:44 pm »
The MK2 version runs significantly cooler.
How can i make mine Mk2? Is it something that i can make without sending to US?

MttBsh

« Reply #225 on: 16 Feb 2020, 09:02 pm »
I just received and hooked up an MK2 version of the STM Maraschino King and after hours of use it is only slightly warm. I will post more impressions after I’ve had a little more time to listen.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #226 on: 17 Feb 2020, 12:59 am »
How can i make mine Mk2? Is it something that i can make without sending to US?

The STM MK2 Upgrade involves completely removing the board and reworking it, so you’d need to send it in, or buy one then send the old one back for a refund afterward.  We’ve worked it like that a few times.

MttBsh

« Reply #227 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:06 pm »
A couple of years ago I bought a Purepower SE Icepower 1200AS2 amp - it excels in every area of sound reproduction that I care about. After having quite a few amps in my system over the years, tube, SET, solid state, I felt that this one was the best.

This past year my house has undergone a major remodel and, in reaction to spousal pressure, the sound system (except speakers) has been relegated to an in-wall niche behind the living room. My equipment now sits on shelves that roll into the wall behind my listening room. The upside is that the rat’s nest of wires and cords is now hidden away and IRs allow me to remotely control my system through the wall. The downside is that I miscalculated the amount of space needed for all of the wires, cables and power strip behind the 1200AS2, so it is too large for the shelf it sits on to roll fully into the wall. I didn’t want to have to replace the amp, but it looked pretty silly sticking 8 inches out of the wall into my new home office. Oops.

For years I’ve read rave reviews of the Digital Amplifier Company cherry amps and, because of their small footprint, I thought a Stereo Maraschino might be a good solution. Shooting for an equivalent replacement for the 1200AS2, I bought the higher power (60v) King version including a MK2 upgrade.

When I first powered up the STM, I would not have been able to tell it apart from the 1200AS2, it sounded that similar – that good: excellent resolution, deep bass, holographic soundstage. After about 50-60 hours in play, it has relaxed a bit and opened up a bit more. In my opinion it recreates the sound the recording artists were aiming for, it’s how they would want us to hear their music: Beautiful tone, transparency, pacing, slam, in the room completely disembodied from the speakers. When I turn the volume up it doesn’t get so much louder as it gets deeper and more 3D – with the best bass articulation I’ve heard. That this comparatively tiny, unimposing amp can generate this much power and finesse is impressive to say the least. Oh, and it allows the shelf it’s on to roll all the way into the wall :duh:

Some have reported that the STM King gets too hot to handle after a couple of hours of play, but mine only gets warm even after being on all day. I attribute this to the MK2 upgrade. I have no way of knowing if that upgrade improves the sound quality in any way as I haven’t heard the STM without it.

Because the STM is an integrated amp, I would love to plug my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC directly into it but I have twin subs so I need two sets of outputs. A Tortuga passive in between solves that problem nicely. The remote on the Tortuga allows me to control its volume from the other room while leaving the STM set at full volume. My speakers are single driver Cain & Cain Abbys with attached Fostex T900A supertweeters, the STM drives them with great authority.

I want to add my voice to the praise for Tommy’s excellent products over at Digital Amplifier Company!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #228 on: 24 Feb 2020, 06:12 pm »
Matt,

People say his unassuming spartan little DAC is every bit as amazing as his amps, I will soon find out for myself as I have one on the way.

MttBsh

« Reply #229 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:16 pm »
Hi Wind Chaser - please post your impressions - I'm very happy with my Yggdrasil but would love to hear how the DAC DAC 2 HS compares in my system.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #230 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:49 pm »
When it arrives, mine will be the HS1.

AvsFan

« Reply #231 on: 25 Feb 2020, 10:39 pm »
Hi Wind Chaser - please post your impressions - I'm very happy with my Yggdrasil but would love to hear how the DAC DAC 2 HS compares in my system.

1HS, HAHA  :D

I called it the HS1 forever.

But man it is sooooooooo good!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #232 on: 25 Feb 2020, 10:42 pm »
Did I put the cart B4 the horse?

Am I getting a 1HS or an HS1?

Why am I so confused?

MttBsh

« Reply #233 on: 26 Feb 2020, 12:09 am »
Tommy calls it the 1 HS or the 2 HS on his website but I'm pretty sure if you order a HS1 he will send you one! :lol:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
🍒 48V Desktop Maraschino Review
« Reply #234 on: 11 Mar 2020, 04:36 am »
https://www.audiopursuit.com/2019/03/cherry-amplifier-maraschino-desktop.html

Demo pair available.  Email Support@DigitalAmp.com for info.  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
2-CHerry review in Enjoy the Music
« Reply #235 on: 1 Apr 2020, 01:13 pm »
"....a powerful amplifier that is detailed, clean, and transparent while also producing smooth and natural sound too."

"There is without a doubt a stigma that surrounds Class D amplifiers in the minds of some enthusiasts."

"No harshness, fatigue, or coldness...."

Here's the full review:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0420/Digital_Amplifier_Company_2CHerry_Amplifier_Review.htm

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Enjoy The Music is featuring the Cherry MEGAschino on throwback Thursday!

Their homepage:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/

Link to the article (2018).  http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0418/Digital_Amplifier_Company_MEGAschino_Stereo_Amplifier_Review.htm

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
5-CHerry mini-review in AVS Forum 🍒
« Reply #237 on: 16 Apr 2020, 10:27 pm »
“I have the 5-CHerry Amp and it has been nothing but spectacular. Loads of power, runs cool and sounds amazing. I am ready to add another 5-Cherry when I get some more 110HTs for atmos and rear duty. Best of all channels are arranged in monoblocks running off one shared power supply and independently shut off if not in use....”

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1165099-official-jtr-speaker-thread-1338.html#post59500274
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2020, 07:21 pm by AmpDesigner333 »

LarryD56

« Reply #238 on: 12 May 2020, 04:44 pm »
I'm a happy owner of a Megaschino, DAC DAC 2, and a Cherry USB. I recently bought another USB from Tommy and received it yesterday and tried it out in my system. As with all the Cherry products I've purchased this USB worked flawlessly. That's something I really appreciate, never having to be concerned if anything I get from the Digital Amplifier Company is going to work right. (They always have.) That's just icing on the cake in addition to the full & real sound of the Cherry products. The USB caused my DD2 to sound so much better than trying to connect from my computer's sound card. I'll be buying another DAC DAC soon to put together another pleasingly musical system. Glad I found the Cherry products. Love the sound!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical