USB to SPDIF: Request

doggie

« on: 29 Apr 2005, 06:48 pm »
Hi,

I am getting on the product request bandwagon. My request is for a USB to SPDIF module which would be either an add-on board for DIYers, an addition to your DAC lineup, or both.

Many of us have been switching over to PC Audio. For me it has both improved the quality of my sound and also improved the convenience. Currently I have a Shuttle XPC/M-Audio Audiophile USB/Scott Nixon DacKit/ modded SI system. I would really like a NOS DAC getting it's signal directly from a USB source. Imagine how slick it would be to add one more internal component to DMASON's new unit allowing it to run directly from a USB port with not an interconnect in sight. Battery powered, this would be simplicity itself...

Just passing on my wish list...

Keep up the good work. BTW. I placed an order with you for a digital cable today. See, if you had the convertor to sell I would not need that :?

Best,

Paul

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: USB to SPDIF: Request
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2005, 12:01 pm »
Quote from: doggie
I am getting on the product request bandwagon. My request is for a USB to SPDIF module which would be either an add-on board for DIYers, an addition to your DAC lineup, or both.

Hi Paul,

Yes, this can be done!  You can either order an external USB-to-SPDIF(coax) module, or I can look into installing one in my custom battery-powered dac installations (ex. Monica 2) using something like a 5V regulator off of the SLA battery.  I think this would be a cleaner supply than the computer's USB power rail that normally powers such devices.  

Also, I've received a few emails about an optical input option.  I am looking into this as well.  Again, they sell external SPDIF Optical-to-Coax converters, but if this is something that someone wants custom installed, I'm sure it can be done, and powered by the SLA battery and a clean 5V regulator.

See, if you had the convertor to sell I would not need that

Ahhh, but this is all part of my scheme to get you to buy my cable...just kidding  :lol:

BTW, your digital cable will ship out today.

Regards,

doggie

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2005, 12:38 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Ahhh, but this is all part of my scheme to get you to buy my cable...just kidding  :lol:

BTW, your digital cable will ship out today.

Regards,

Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for the reply and the cable.

I am using an M-Audio Audiophile USB now with good results but I would rather go for a "one box" solution where interconnects and connectors are minimized. I think that the M-Audio transit is used by some modifiers(Empirical Audio). It has optical out but can be bypassed so that you get USB in with a wired digital connection straight to the DAC. Powering it from the battery would be sweet. Just think, USB in and speaker wires out! That would be hot indeed.

Death to interconnects! and their running-dog lackeys, solder joints!

Keep up the great work.

Best,

Paul

kbuzz3

usb yesssssssssss
« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2005, 06:41 pm »
2nd the usb option

kfr01

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2005, 06:46 pm »
I would buy a product like this.  I also use an m-audio sonica and have been looking for an alternative to buying a separate DAC / PRE / AMP.  An integrated solution would be awesome.  I feel there are A LOT of people going to a PC-based music / media box that would be interested in this.

USB straight into one of your excellent looking solutions would be fantastic.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2005, 11:27 pm »
Quote from: kfr01
I would buy a product like this.  I also use an m-audio sonica and have been looking for an alternative to buying a separate DAC / PRE / AMP.  An integrated solution would be awesome.  I feel there are A LOT of people going to a PC-based music / media box that would be interested in this.

USB straight into one of your excellent looking solutions would be fantastic.

All,

Thanks for your valuable feedback.  I'll be doing some research on this and will report back in a few weeks.  I think it will be a go!

Sincerely,

kfr01

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2005, 06:58 pm »
I really look forward to the results!

goskers

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2005, 08:21 pm »
I am most definitely interested in a similar product.  I just received my squeezebox2 which is a really interesting piece of gear.  I looked long and hard at EA's product but was just not really sold on the transit board used.  

The newer audigy nx could provide an excellent platform for modding and some pure dc power.  I am definitely onboard for a usb-spdif converter.  Count me in for one please  :mrgreen:

Wireless would of course be better but I could live with a hardwired version with a 5m cable.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2005, 06:45 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I would rather go for a "one box" solution where interconnects aInd connectors are minimized. I think that the M-Audio transit is used by some modifiers(Empirical Audio). It has optical out but can be bypassed so that you get USB in with a wired digital connection straight to the DAC. Powering it from the battery would be sweet. Just think, USB in and speaker wires out! That would be hot indeed ...

Hey Doggie,

I hear ya loud n' clear!  

http://www.redwineaudio.com/USB_Select.html

I state on the bottom of page "If your a looking to have the USB Select installed in a Custom Clari-T-Amp or Red Wine Teac,   please do not hesitate to email vinnie@redwineaudio.com to discuss this.  We can make it happen!"  8)

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2005, 07:06 pm »
Great Job, Vinnie.  I like what you've done with the analogue output, but by directly taking the output off the DAC chip, what output voltage are you getting?

And I guess someone has to ask, how does the analogue out sound compared to your battery-powered Monica II?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2005, 07:46 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
Great Job, Vinnie.  I like what you've done with the analogue output, but by directly taking the output off the DAC chip, what output voltage are you getting?

And I guess someone has to ask, how does the analogue out sound compared to your battery-powered Monica II?

Thanks, Jon L!

I need to post the max output voltage on my website...it is 0.6 x Vref = 0.6 x 3.3V = 2Vpp.

Give me a little more time to do the comparisons between the USB Select's analog out and Monica 2's analog out.  Once thing I have noticed is that the USB Select's analog output sounds a bit different when using 16bit 44.1kHz setting vs  24-bit 96kHz setting...I think I may like the 16-bit better.  

What I really like is connecting the digital output to the Monica 2...very nice indeed!  :D  
I'll keep you all posted...been too busy working and need to make more time for listening  :violin:

StevenACNJ

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2005, 06:41 pm »
I ordered a USB Select from Vinnie. Ordered mine with digital coax out only, no analog out.

Will run USB out of computer, then coax digital directly into my Bolder modded Panasonic XR-70.

USB Select will be replacing an EGO Systems WaveTerminal 2496 PCI soundcard.

I use this as an upstairs office 2nd music only system.

Should have the USB select in a couple weeks, will report how it sounds.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2005, 10:27 am »
My Red Wine Audio USB select is on it's way to me. Should have it by Monday.  :D

Will report on how it sounds.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2005, 03:19 pm »
Quote from: StevenACNJ
My Red Wine Audio USB select is on it's way to me. Should have it by Monday.  :D

Will report on how it sounds.

Thanks StevenACNJ!  We're looking forward to your impressions!

dave_c

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2005, 03:36 pm »
I think you all will be impressed with the select.  USB to SPDIF is surprisingly good!

StevenACNJ

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jul 2005, 12:42 pm »
Vinnie has a winner here.

I received my Redwine USB select from Vinnie last week. My unit has no analog out jacks, substitued a Canare 75 ohm RCA female jack for digital out, Vinnie also hard wired in a high quality Monster USB cable, and finally I had a couple .47uf Auricaps on hand which Vin utilized.

I use the USB Select to run coax digital from computer directly to my Bolder Cable modded Panny SXR70 digital receiver. Digital cable is a VH AUdio Pulsar.

Computer setup was a snap. No problems what-so-ever running Win XP Professional.

Right out of the box the USB Select was a clear step up in sound quality from my previous internal PCI slot EGO Systems Wave Terminal 24/96 sound card. The EGO card is no slouch and received very good reviews.

Well I guess this means I am in the club and am "off the grid" with at least one component.

Will report more after it breaks in for a few weeks.

BTW Vinnie is a great guy to deal with. He quickly answered all my email questions & kept me completely informed as to his progress.

Jon L

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jul 2005, 04:02 pm »

I use the USB Select to run coax digital from computer directly to my Bolder Cable modded Panny SXR70 digital receiver. Digital cable is a VH AUdio Pulsar.

Computer setup was a snap. No problems wha ...

Congratulations.  Now we both need a really great 2-channel DAC to feed off of modded Transit.  You haven't heard nothing yet until you stick a world-class DAC after USB..

StevenACNJ

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jul 2005, 06:20 pm »
Jon,

Wayne @ Bolder Cable said that his modded Panny XR70 digital receiver sounds best when fed a straight digital signal.

BTW listening right now to Mariah Carey - "We Belong Together", same song she performed at Live 8. It is a 256K wma file and man does it sound good playing @ 24/96.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 4 Jul 2005, 10:45 pm »

BTW Vinnie is a great guy to deal with. He quickly answered all my email questions & kept me completely informed as to his progress.

Hi StevenACNJ,

Thanks very much for the feedback.  I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your custom USB Select.  Please do keep up posted in a few weeks....thanks!  8)

Regards,

StevenACNJ

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2005, 01:18 pm »
I have had my Redwine USB select for a couple weeks now and the sound has really settled in. Very smooth now top to bottom. Background is dead silent.

Vinnie built my unit with digital coax rca out only. No analog out jacks. I supplied a Canare 75 ohm rca female jack which was installed. I also sent Vin a couple of .47uf Auricaps which were installed. I also sent Vin a high quality Monster USB cable (http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2906) which he cut down to 3ft and hard wired into the Transit board. This eliminated one connection.

I did void my warranty (shhhhh dont tell Vinnie). I have a VH Audio Pulsar digital cable terminated with Eichman Silver Bullet  RCA plugs. When I tried to install the Bullet plug over the Canare RCA jack I pushed a bit too hard and snapped off one of the plastic retention clips. Has happened to me previously with other equipment and I am not very keen on the Bullet plugs anymore. The 75 ohm Canare jack is large in diameter though.

So instead of purchasing other jacks I decided to open up the USB select, remove the Canare connector, and just hardwire in the Pulsar digital cable. Was easy to do & eliminated another connection. I would suggest to anyone considering a USB Select, just send Vin your digital cable and have him hard wire it in.

I also installed some nice JJAZ Fod feet which I got from Wayne @ Bolder Cable & were left over from another project.

I run coax digital out from the USB Select directly into the digital in on my Bolder modded Panny SA-XR70. Speakers are GR Diluceo's with tweaked up caps & new internal wire. Also have a RAD 10 subwoofer with Hypex sub amp. Everything is plugged into a BPT 2 balanced power conditioner. Using Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables.

I run Win XP Pro & installation was a snap.

The sound quality has improved dramatically with the insertion of the USB Select. Was previously using a PCI slot based EGO Systems WaveTerminal 24/96 sound card. Bass is now killer. Mids and highs are beautifully fluid. Details, imaging, and sound stage are vastly improved. System also has like a snap & punch to it.

Definately has been one of the best purchases (price to performance) I have made in audio. I was very apprehensive thinking that this USB device might not give me any real gain in audio quality. End result, the USB Select has made my PC audio based system complete.

Finally, Vinnie is also a great guy to deal with.