Tube Preamp - Signature 15 vs Isabella???

Lord Soth

• I'm an American BadAss!
Tube Preamp - Signature 15 vs Isabella???
« on: 29 Jan 2012, 01:07 pm »
Hi everyone,

Background to my Qn:-
I'm thinking of adding a tubed preamp to my current audio system.
I'm perfectly happy with my current SE tubed audio system.
Just want to add more subtle tubed dynamics to the sound.

Qn 1.
I was wondering if anyone has used the Signature 15 as a preamp?

How does it compare sonically to the Isabella?

Will the Signature 15 be able to add more "flesh" and dynamics in similar fashion as compared with the Isabella?

Qn 2.
Will the Signature 15 be able to be used as a preamp without any speaker load attached?

Regards,

Soth

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Tube Preamp - Signature 15 vs Isabella???
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2012, 12:39 am »

Hi Soth,

How does it compare sonically to the Isabella?

Will the Signature 15 be able to add more "flesh" and dynamics in similar fashion as compared with the Isabella?

The Isabella is not a tube-buffer - it is a preamp (max gain is 12dB) and it uses one tube per channel.  In the Sig 15, we use a tube buffer (no voltage gain, but it offers current gain and nice tube characteristics) - using one tube for both channels as it is a dual triode.

So the Isabella gives you MORE sonically - but is more costly.  The Sig 15 tube stage (and it also gives you remote volume control and input select) will definitely add improved dynamics, dimension, and fullness to the sound when used as a unity gain preamp. 

Qn 2.
Will the Signature 15 be able to be used as a preamp without any speaker load attached?

If you want to do this, I recommend having a switch installed to turn off the FET output stage.  This will maximize battery life and if you have the volume set close to max, you won't have to worry about clipping the amp output stage.  The switch would NOT be in the signal path.  It would simply be used to "mute" the gates of the FET so they don't turn ON.

I hope this helps,

Vinnie

plakey

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2012, 09:39 pm »
Any plans to make a "signature 15" (i.e low cost) preamp?

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2012, 09:46 pm »
Hi, for budget reasons, I downgraded from Isabella (non-LFP) to Isabellina HPA LFP-V plus Sig 15. So in my current situation, the Sig 15 is acting as an integrated amp and the HPA is the DAC.

My guess is that for those with the budget, the current Isabella LFP-V would be an upgrade for most systems. Add the new ProDac and you will be flying in a very rare hi-fi strata.

As far as the Sig 15, here you are looking at an alternative to your current SET. Will it be better or worse?... only listening would tell. But from my experience, the Sig 15 is an exceptional unit, especially when the tube is upgraded beyond stock.

Kent

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2012, 10:01 pm »
Hi Kent,

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Plakey - welcome to the RWA forum!

Any plans to make a "signature 15" (i.e low cost) preamp?

Not in the near future - but I will never say never  :wink:

All the best,

Vinnie