Autoformer Metallurgy

tasar

Autoformer Metallurgy
« on: 5 Mar 2014, 08:46 pm »
Silver autoformers are available at Dave's site and implemented by the likes of Purity Audio. Has anyone assembled a Ag based Bent passive that they care to expound on ?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: Autoformer Metallurgy
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2014, 10:29 pm »
Hello!

As crazy as it sounds I have not heard the silvers here myself yet! Once and a while I make them up for OEM customers and to send back to Dave for his customers but since I don't want to solder and unsolder the pcb's  to test them here so I have yet to play. Would not want anyone getting nice new modules that look used! I have recently sent out an AVC-1 with silver modules and some silver wire to a fellow and maybe he can reply when he gets it built - it has not even reached him yet so that will be a bit of time from now anyway.

The OEM's who have used them really liked them but they do come at a pretty steep premium cost wise - the silver magnet wire is silly expensive these days. Maybe I am a bit afraid to hear them for fear I really like them, report that to folks and as a result frustrate customers who are not able to swing the very high price!

Thansk!

John

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2014, 11:54 pm »
They are the only upgrade on my list after hearing them...

tasar

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2014, 02:36 pm »
Thanks John. You mention sending silver wire to boot, and so I wonder if there might be critical paths that would enhance output circuitry other than the former itself ? I have set of the earlier cans that you can play with, what do you say ? Silver, platinum, gold soldering technique would become critical but the salvage value goes up ! Could you get back regarding any of Dave's exploits ?

Thanks

Hello!

As crazy as it sounds I have not heard the silvers here myself yet! Once and a while I make them up for OEM customers and to send back to Dave for his customers but since I don't want to solder and unsolder the pcb's  to test them here so I have yet to play. Would not want anyone getting nice new modules that look used! I have recently sent out an AVC-1 with silver modules and some silver wire to a fellow and maybe he can reply when he gets it built - it has not even reached him yet so that will be a bit of time from now anyway.

The OEM's who have used them really liked them but they do come at a pretty steep premium cost wise - the silver magnet wire is silly expensive these days. Maybe I am a bit afraid to hear them for fear I really like them, report that to folks and as a result frustrate customers who are not able to swing the very high price!

Thansk!

John