RMAF Advanced Ribbon Technologies/SRL Acoustics demo room

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
Hello to all, in my pic gallery I have uploaded some pics and comments from the recent RMAF show in Denver.  Please check them out and let me know what you think!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: RMAF Advanced Ribbon Technologies/SRL Acoustics demo room
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2008, 04:57 pm »
Hello Allen,

Can you put a link in?  I can't find your pics in the gallery.

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2008, 01:51 am »
Looks good Allen.  I am sorry I miss them at the show.  Treated rooms generally had the better sound then non treated rooms at the show.  I have seen other diffusors at the show but I will say that yours is definitely the thickest of the consumer grade diffusors.  My 4'x8'x8.5" unit on my backwall absolutely locks in soundstage up front.  It's really amazing how image falls apart when you take it off the wall. 

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2008, 05:49 pm »
You are right Woodsyi, my modules are generally deeper and wider than the competitors.  This of course directly relates to the performance of the units, as does the solid construction.  I inspected other products at the show, and my thoughts were that design is everything in manufacturing today.  I read much discussion lately about how to get the bass happening in a small room.  One way that was thought up by an old pal of mine Stephen St Croix (an absolutely brilliant mind) was to cue up track 7 of the Studio Reference Disc from Prosonus.  I am not sure if this is still available, but I would be glad to upload this file because with it all you need are your ears to see if your system/room is ready.......It is a 31.05 hertz sine wave at 0 level.  This is the fundamental frequency of the bottom E string of a bass guitar.  Warning, when I first did this (back in 1988) the sound I heard was sort of like a fart from my audio system.  I immediately spent hundreds getting the amplifier and woofers happening to give a low distortion tone.  You will know it when you hear it!  Then you crank it up a little and get ready to spend more as you track down and eliminate all the buzzing of loose stuff in your room.  My modules will not be on the list.  They were designed to work (without buzzing) in a 20 hz room.  This is beyond the scope of any typical home system, so they will be the least of your room problems.  The buzzing you will encounter with other products is the loose stuff in the modules themselves, and the loose way they are attached to the wall.  You have to eliminate all that before you even get to the walls, and guess what, they will need some work too!  I cannot think of a simpler way to send all you guys on a really fun path of upgrades.  God rest your soul, Stephen, who is gonna fill those shoes?????