Lloyd Cole

Randy

Lloyd Cole
« on: 13 Feb 2024, 06:39 pm »
Gee, I never even heard of him until recently when somebody recommended one of his albums from the 80s.  I got it and like it a lot. Titled "Commotion."

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Re: Lloyd Cole
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2024, 06:54 pm »
Love Lloyd Cole! Lloyd Cole and the Commotions album Rattlesnakes is great. They were pretty successful in the 80's in Europe. Lloyd went solo in the 90's. Loved his Love Story album as I had just had my first true breakup and I played that cd way too much. Got to see him live in Portland at some very small venues and talk to him about 20+ years ago. He got into some electronic music that wasn't my taste, but love his solo work.

I recently started listening to Kevin Morby, who reminds me of Lloyd quite a bit. Also, the track "Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken by Camera Obscura is a response to Cole's track "Are You Ready to be Heartbroken?"

ZAKski288

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2024, 11:12 pm »
The one I have is Lloyd Cole and the Commotion :  Title : Mainstream. It pretty good. I have to check out his other albums. thanks

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2024, 06:16 pm »
Great Artist and his work is very well produced. I agree Rattlesnakes is a great album. I have the UK OG and it is a beautiful listen from beginning to end. I also have Mainstream on vinyl and it is also very well performed, produced and pressed. Both sound amazing on my Spatial M3 Sapphires  :thumb:

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2024, 12:22 am »
I realize now the name of the band is "Commotions," and the title of the CD I have is "Easy Pieces."   Surprised by its great sonics.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2024, 10:43 pm by Randy »

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2024, 12:54 am »
His two solo albums "Lloyd Cole" (with the X on the cover) and "Don't Get Weird On Me, Babe" are seriously good. Robert Quine, Matthew Sweet, Fred Maher are primary supporting musicians. Strings by Paul Buckmaster (also did Stones' "Moonlight Mile" and Elton Johns' "Madman Across the Water" among dozens of others) on side B of the latter.

https://www.lloydcole.com/

viggen

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2024, 04:42 pm »
Just an anecdote.  My friend and I were going to a Cole concert in LA.  I didn't end up going but my friend ended up hanging out with the band after the concert.  She took some pics with the band.  And, I was surprised that Cole doesn't look anything like on his album covers.  He looked more like Jim Carrey.  Supposedly, his personality was more funny than sad like his songs are.

ZAKski288

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2024, 07:44 pm »
If you like Lloyd Cole , then give this a listen to The The Soul Mining.