Anyone using a Tube Integrated with their Salks?

TKonrad.NOLA

Anyone using a Tube Integrated with their Salks?
« on: 25 Mar 2020, 12:44 am »
I am seriously thinking about making my next amp a tube amp and thinking of going with a Rogue Cronus III or Primaluna.  Thoughts?  Recommendations

Yomaha

Re: Anyone using a Tube Integrated with their Salks?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2020, 03:07 am »
I have the Vinnie Rossi LIO with Directly Heated Triodes (TAK 300B’s) in the preamp stage, the. 25wpc mosfet output stage. All I can say is WOW. Very musical and drives my Salk Songtower RT’s just fine and I have a room on the large side with 12ft ceilings.

For reference before I had a modwright swl 9.0 pre and PS Audio BKH250 which was a very solid combo. There is of course a high degree of subjectivity in folks preferences and for certain things I may prefer the slam of the BHK250. But I really have never been happier with my setup than I am now with the LIO DHT integrated.

I was a hardcore separatist for years but I got tired of all the wires and component matching and generally wanted to simplify. I know sometimes that part is half the fun, but I wanted to get dialed in and explore and discover music and stop tinkering with tweaks in my system. I’m certain the tweak bug will come back but this integrated with the 300B’s should keep me on the straight an narrow far longer than any previous system.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2020, 05:28 pm »
I am seriously thinking about making my next amp a tube amp and thinking of going with a Rogue Cronus III or Primaluna.  Thoughts?  Recommendations

I used a Primaluna Dialogue One (original Dialogue series) with my Song3's and loved it. Upgraded to a Line Magnetic LM508 and its even better. I highly recommend either brand. I also know Jim uses a McGary tube amp, but I don't think its an integrated.

Meicheng

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2020, 05:37 pm »
I've used a Rogue Cronos Magnum integrated amp with my HT@-TL speakers with excellent results.  The amp uses 4 KT120 tubes and produces about 90 watts/channel. 

hilde45

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2020, 05:39 pm »
I'm waiting for my first pair of Salk SS6Ms. I'm investigating amps. I started with the presumption of integrated and read a bunch. The Rogue Sphinx and Vincent 237 seemed like affordable ways to do tube/solid state. I didn't investigate much further, but the McIntosh MA252 is another along these lines.

Those interested in an amazing deal right now should take a look at Cary Audio. They cut prices by thousands on the SLI-100, from $6k to $3500. I'm very, very tempted. There are similar deals.

Yomaha

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2020, 06:00 pm »

Sorry to post so blatantly off topic...I saw the headline topic and didn't read the full OP :duh:.  My bad - good luck in your search!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2020, 07:13 pm »
I'm waiting for my first pair of Salk SS6Ms. I'm investigating amps. I started with the presumption of integrated and read a bunch. The Rogue Sphinx and Vincent 237 seemed like affordable ways to do tube/solid state. I didn't investigate much further, but the McIntosh MA252 is another along these lines.

Those interested in an amazing deal right now should take a look at Cary Audio. They cut prices by thousands on the SLI-100, from $6k to $3500. I'm very, very tempted. There are similar deals.

A VG synergy should be had with the Carey. Decisions, decisions. NOT a Carey dealer.

charles

hilde45

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2020, 08:30 pm »
VG = very good?

Are you saying
(a) a very good synergy SHOULD be achieved with Salk/Cary
or
(b) a very good synergy WOULD be achieved with Salk/Cary?

One is a prescription, the other is a prediction. Which did you mean?

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2020, 07:43 pm »
Think I am going to order the Primaluna EVO 300. 

hilde45

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2020, 07:53 pm »
What lead you to that choice? Runners up?

Anyone try the Basie integrated by Erhard? Seems like a sweet little integrated.

bretonsound

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2020, 03:59 am »
I’ve been using an Audio Research VS115 tube amp for 10 years with my Salk’s with great results. My first pair were HT2-TL. I recently picked up the new SS 9.5 speakers. The ARC 115 seems to be a good match so far. I’m in NOLA also. Once all the madness settles down here in town you’d be welcome to come check it out

hilde45

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2020, 04:32 am »
So nice of you to offer!

GlennDog

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2020, 08:40 pm »
In a word “is.”
As in, there is VG (very good) synergy with Salk/Cary?

SQ is spectacular with my Cary SLP-05 and Rogue M180 monos. Pick one or both and they go great with HT2-TL‘s
Previously, I had the good Song Towers in Hell Fire Red. Beautiful. Great sound

If you really want to dig deep, throw a Rythmik into the mix and you’ll be happy for years to come

hilde45

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2020, 10:16 pm »
Thanks for clarifying and for the additional info.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2020, 03:03 am »

Thanks for this. I assumed that Cary would be out of my price range.  I am giving them a call tomorrow.

hilde45

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2020, 03:32 am »
Let us know how it goes!

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2020, 04:53 pm »
Let us know how it goes!

Ordered and SLI-100 in Black.  Now I wait.

hilde45

« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2020, 08:01 pm »
Hope it goes well. Cheers and happy listening!

DFpritchard

« Reply #18 on: 6 Apr 2020, 02:26 pm »
Is there any experience with the Raven Avian series of integrated amps driving Salk speakers?  Reviews of these integrated amps are uniformly good, though comparatively scarce.  The Avian series is pretty low in terms of rated power output (20 for the Nighthawk and Blackhawk or 30 Watts for the Osprey) but they do seem to perform more powerfully than the ratings would indicate.

I am thinking about one of these (or an off-topic SS Wells Majestic) to replace the Parasound Halo to drive my Song3s.

Stay safe, all.

Jeff in the D

« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2021, 04:30 pm »
Hi Folks,
Has anyone experience with any of McIntosh's series of integrated amps driving Salk speakers? I own the Sound Scape 8s and have been reading up on the MA 352 integrated (am mostly interested in this model). I like the idea of the tube pre and SS amplifier, anyone have experience with this integrated in particular? There is a place in Ann Arbor, about 80 minutes away from me, they have this model in their showroom so there's always that.

Jeff