Intermittent Distortion Alnico Driver

trackball02

Intermittent Distortion Alnico Driver
« on: 7 Apr 2019, 04:00 pm »
I have a Super Alnico XRS, ALN6LB Omegacone, pair.

One of the speakers has noticeable midrange distortion, grating sound, that nearly goes away if I moderately tap the speaker cone when playing. Something out of alignment? I do not see any external damage to the cone or rubber surround.

By the way, these speakers are otherwise fantastic. I rotate two different amps with the Omegas, Finale Audio 829B special, and a Tube Audio Lab 2A3 using Emission Labs 2A3 mesh tubes, both with an Allnic L-3000 preamp.

I'm interested in eventually updating the Omegas to the High Output XRS floor standers. Has anyone gone from the single driver to the dual? Love to get some feedback.

nature boy

Re: Intermittent Distortion Alnico Driver
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2019, 04:07 pm »
Sounds like you may have a bad solder connection to either the driver terminals or your speaker terminals. Call Louis, he can troubleshoot and let you know what to do.

NB

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2019, 04:47 pm »
Switch the left and right speaker connections too, just to be certain the problem you're having doesn't follow the channel.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2019, 04:51 pm »
Also might be the whizzer vibrating, buzzing.  Could try gently touching it while distortion is happening to see if you detect anything.

trackball02

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2019, 05:09 pm »
Thanks for the fast replies.

I sent an email to Louis today, and I'm interested in his response. I'm not sure I want to disassemble the speaker without his advice.

I did switch the right and left speaker cables from the amp, the problem is isolated to the speaker driver and not the amp. I also rotated in another pair of speakers (Magnepan .7) with the Finale 829B amp, and there was no distortion.

I'll check out the whizzer if this element is vibrating. If it's the whizzer, does it mean it can be separating from the main speaker cone?

pstrisik

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2019, 08:06 pm »
Thanks for the fast replies.

I sent an email to Louis today, and I'm interested in his response. I'm not sure I want to disassemble the speaker without his advice.

I did switch the right and left speaker cables from the amp, the problem is isolated to the speaker driver and not the amp. I also rotated in another pair of speakers (Magnepan .7) with the Finale 829B amp, and there was no distortion.

I'll check out the whizzer if this element is vibrating. If it's the whizzer, does it mean it can be separating from the main speaker cone?

Just a guess.  Whizzer separating or misaligned?  Worth investigating to rule out.

trackball02

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2019, 08:17 pm »
Just a follow up.
Louis got back to me via email, and shipped a new replacement driver to me at no cost, shipping included! I installed the new driver without difficulty, and it sounds great.
I want to personally thank Louis for such great service and support. I know where I will be getting my next pair of speakers.  :D

pstrisik

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2019, 09:29 pm »
Thanks for the followup!  Always like a happy ending.  Louis takes very good care of us.   :thumb:

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2019, 10:43 pm »
Louis FTW!

Enjoy the music, sir.

Doody

Doodlebum

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2019, 10:45 pm »
Louis has always answered when I've called. That kind of service means a lot to me. Can't go wrong with his speakers.

doggie

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2019, 02:39 am »
I have a Super Alnico XRS, ALN6LB Omegacone, pair.

One of the speakers has noticeable midrange distortion, grating sound, that nearly goes away if I moderately tap the speaker cone when playing. Something out of alignment? I do not see any external damage to the cone or rubber surround.

By the way, these speakers are otherwise fantastic. I rotate two different amps with the Omegas, Finale Audio 829B special, and a Tube Audio Lab 2A3 using Emission Labs 2A3 mesh tubes, both with an Allnic L-3000 preamp.

I'm interested in eventually updating the Omegas to the High Output XRS floor standers. Has anyone gone from the single driver to the dual? Love to get some feedback.

I have a pair of the HO Alnico floorstanders and previously had the single driver version. The HO is MUCH better. It has the same delicacy but will ramp up easily for big orchestral pieces.

I have two amps: a Linear Tube Audio Ultralinear at 20 watts and an old Cary AES SE-1 which runs 2A3s. The Sylvania 2A3s sound great with it. The Ultralinear is in another league in terms of transparency and detail.

Louis is great. He really does understand service and taking care of his customers.

trackball02

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2019, 03:36 pm »
doggie, thanks for your observations, I'm very tempted to upgrade. I have one additional amp, Tube Audio Lab 45 Korneff clone. This amp just doesn't have enough power to sufficiently drive my single driver XRS. I tried using a 100 HZ high pass to this 45 tube amp and supplement with a powered subwoofer, but I can get it dialed in correctly.

Has anyone had any experience in using a 45 Tube amp with the High Output speakers?

mick wolfe

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2019, 08:18 pm »
Depends on how loud you listen and what you listen to. For me personally,  a 45 amp would only fit with a horn loaded speaker well over 100 db in efficiency.....and then I think it would still be a push. Perhaps your best approach would be to choose a more powerful amplifier.  It wouldn't necessarily have to be terribly expensive either. There's a plethora of EL34 based P-P amps out there that sound superb. 30-40 watts will get  you plenty of headroom and a much greater of ease. If you have any interest in solid state, the new Schitt Aegir ( $799) is getting a lot of good press. 20 watts into 8 ohms mostly biased in class A.

MarkR7

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2019, 09:44 pm »
Agree with all the above... the HO like 8wpc or better for a decent size room. Drove them nicely with my former 300b SET monoblocks, but they were even better with the Pass Labs XA25 SS class A amp. Of course this was with a tubed preamp (a Beckett Rhuma) up front, and now a tubed DAC (Audio Mirror Tubadour III). While I liked my HO with a Decware amp (like 2wpc), it just really isn’t enough for the HO, and neither will a 45 tube based amp be enough either, unless you have a tiny, tiny room! Hi

trackball02

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2019, 10:41 pm »
Thanks for the last two comments. In my room, my Alnico XRS needs at least the wattage of my 2A3 amp. I was hoping that the increased sensitivity of the HO version would be sufficient with the 45 tube amp, and it sounds like it might not be the case.

I have two other SETs (300b Tube Audio Lab, and 829B Finale Audio) that drive the Alnico XRS quite well, but I do like the sound of the 45 tube. Currently, my 45 tube amp is being used as my headphone amp, and I'll probably keep it as such.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2019, 04:51 pm »
trackball02,
I wish I could find the post on here.  Awhile back when Louis came out with his new RS8 driver, he built a set of speakers for a guy who had a 45, and I seem to remember the combo was incredible.  My guess his Super 8XRS or Junior 8XRS would be a great match for your 45.  A talk with Louis would confirm that.