Question on Bryston 1B Tape Loop Funtionality with Phono

captouch

I'm kind of confused about the Tape Loop functionality on the Bryston 1B when using the Phono inputs.

I have a Phase Linear 1000 processor (peak unlimiter and noise reduction functions) tied into the Tape 2 loop of my Bryston.  So Bryston Tape 2 Out goes into the Input of the PL 1000, and the PL 1000 output goes into the Bryston Tape Loop 2 input.

All works well for any source other than phono. This includes CD/AUX, Tuner, and Tape 1. I set the Main Selector to Tape 2 and Tape Selector to whatever source I want the PL 1000 to work upon.

The Bryston has two Phono inputs: Phono 1 for MC (has built in step up) and Phono 2 for MM. I'm using MM/Phono 2 only since my cart is MM.

The Tape Selector knob only has an option for CD/AUX, Tuner, Phono, Tape 1-> 2, and Tape 2-> 1. Phono - doesn't designate Phono 1 or Phono 2.

When I set Tape Selector to Phono, and set the Bryston Main Selector to Phono 2, I hear Phono 2 as expected, and no efffect of PL 1000 since I don't have the function selected to Tape 2. But It appears that the PL 1000 is receiving the Phono signal as the LED on it indicates it's receiving a signal.

However, when I switch the Main Selector to Tape 2, as I would if I want to hear the effect of the PL 1000 on any other input, I get no sound and the PL 1000 no longer seems to be receiving any input from the Bryston (it's LED indicating it has a signal goes away).

So I don't get why the Bryston stops sending the Phono 2 signal to the PL 1000 when I select Tape 2 for the Main Selector and Phono for the Tape Selector.

Or is the Phono for the Tape Selector only map to Phono 1 (MC) and I'm somehow being fooled into thinking that the PL 1000 is receiving the Phono 2 signal when Tape Selector is set to Phono and Main Selector is set to Phono 2?