Need some friendly advice

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
Need some friendly advice
« on: 22 Oct 2020, 02:25 pm »
Hello All
It’s been a long time since logging in on Audiocircle, a place for good info From people in the know. This may not be the right forum to ask this question, but in looking at all the circles, this seems to be wrong place but I might be able to get an answer.

I have a friend who owns B&W DM 605 S2 speakers that are active on the low end with a variable crossover. He asked me to come over to look at his system because it was not sounding good any longer, and I found that both of the amplifier plates are not working properly. I researched this and found there are no parts to be able to get these repaired apparently. So I’m looking at bypassing  the amps and running those speakers as passive. I’ve tried to find out if this can be done properly, maybe by adding a crossover in line as I turn them into passive speakers. But I have not found anything like this online.

So my question is could Accomplish my goal in using the speakers by either, wiring them up without any crossovers on the low end, wiring them up with some sort of crossover wired in line, scrapping this whole idea and have my buddy buy some new speakers. Thanks in advance, Pete

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Need some friendly advice
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2020, 02:33 pm »
What about something like a Crown XLS 1502 with a built in low pass or a couple of plate amps?

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2020, 06:40 pm »
Opnly bafld
Thanks for your suggestion. Sounds like a pretty good option.  But How would I connect this to the speaker? This amp would replace the existing plate amps and crossovers in the speaker but I’m not sure how to get the signal to the amp, Since  the current amps uses speaker terminals From the receiver for the signal input and this suggested amps out puts would go into the speaker terminals of the speaker but still would be going into the plate amp. Unless I bypass that plate amp speaker terminals? I think I’m confusing myself 😐

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2020, 07:47 pm »
Open up and disconnect wires (going to the drivers) from bad amp, decide how to get them to the outside (depends on your skill level with electronics and available tools) and connect to new amp(s).

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2020, 02:00 pm »
I got the picture! Thank you!