Technical help

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
Technical help
« on: 12 May 2018, 05:11 am »
Hello, this part attached came off loose recently. With that said I am not sure what this part is and what this does, and I don't have any amplifier or speakers to see ATM if the DAC still works or not after the part had fell off.
Would I still be able to get sound through my DAC with this part off? Can I just take this to a local repair shop to get it re-soldered & Is this a simple job? I have no idea about the technical side of audio gear and I really don't want to ship this 60 pound unit back to the main HQ to get this fixed. I'd rather have this done at a local shop even if I need to spend a few extra dollars.
I hope this DAC still works since It looks like there is another identical part sitting right next to where THIS part was attached to. And also it looks like this part came off the USB Asynch board -  Does this mean it won't have anything to do with the coaxial input side of things? 

Here are some attached images on IMGUR photo album. Plese go check the link if the pictures here are not big enough!

https://imgur.com/gallery/YRh5ndq

First image is the part that's been broken off.
Second image is the USB Board which the part came off.

mgalusha

Re: Technical help
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2018, 09:16 pm »
It's a 220uF/16V surface mount electrolytic capacitor. It's likely the DAC will still work but the missing cap will reduce the filtering of the DC rail somewhat. It's rare that a surface mount cap just falls off. Bummer.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2018, 09:51 pm »
A handy tech will resolder the cap, not need ship to the factory.
Seems good use a static wristband before handling this board.

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2018, 07:11 pm »
It's a 220uF/16V surface mount electrolytic capacitor. It's likely the DAC will still work but the missing cap will reduce the filtering of the DC rail somewhat. It's rare that a surface mount cap just falls off. Bummer.

Hi, this missing cap will reduce filtering to ALL inputs and throughout the whole DAC or just the USB input? (the cap fell off the USB board from what I know.) I have no idea what DC rail does to sound if that's what it was.

And if there is less filtering does that mean more distortion & noise?

Would this missing cap degrade the sound significant enough for me to get it fixed ASAP?  Or is it okay to hold off on it until I am really free to have it repaired?

Thank you for your help!

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2018, 07:17 pm »
A handy tech will resolder the cap, not need ship to the factory.
Seems good use a static wristband before handling this board.

Yes, I looked into it yesterday and found a small family owned shops near me. However, I could not find a big retail repair shops that do jobs like this. Although I was hoping for one since this DAC is very expensive! Thanks for your suggestion though I am now just waiting for feedback from Lampizator NA/HQ.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2018, 08:15 pm »
IMO you might be better off with a small shop, one on one interaction with the person doing the work. Of course getting approval from Fred or Rob would be best before letting someone work on it, might void the warranty. They do have a US repair service, you won't have to ship it to Poland.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2018, 10:26 pm »
Fred is no less than fantastic to work with, give him a call or email him (which is what I do) and he will get back in no time.

I too would go with a small shop to get the work done. Contrary to what many think, the quality of the work will probably be better than a big outfit.

It's hard to imagine that cap just falling off, seems like maybe it wasn't soldered on very well or not at all. The bottom like is Fed and the crew will get you handled.

Here is Fred's email.

Greg