Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

ltr317

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #720 on: 10 Sep 2010, 02:34 am »

Michael Glabicki & Patrick Norman
Rusted Root- Hartwood Acres, Pittsburgh, PA- 9/5/10

Already posted about the show... but just got the pic. Yes pic :( forgot batteries and had enough juice for only this one shot (and a few of the grass)

:lol:  I'm laughing because I've done that more than once, in fact I have a bunch that I call my "grass series."

IonMoon

• The pause is as important as the note
« Reply #721 on: 10 Sep 2010, 04:36 pm »
:lol:  I'm laughing because I've done that more than once, in fact I have a bunch that I call my "grass series."

LOL So I should save those things and do a show? The Grass Series, The Sky Series, The Thumb Series, Shoes, Heck if I Know. LOL

Sometimes the best art (as inventions) come about through mistakes and happy accidents!

Tara

ltr317

« Reply #722 on: 10 Sep 2010, 04:50 pm »
LOL So I should save those things and do a show? The Grass Series, The Sky Series, The Thumb Series, Shoes, Heck if I Know. LOL

Sometimes the best art (as inventions) come about through mistakes and happy accidents!

Tara

:lol: It would be a huge group show  :lol:  Yes, serendipity has benefitted mankind greatly through the ages.  :thumb:

charles28722

« Reply #723 on: 13 Sep 2010, 12:49 pm »
I saw the Pixies last night in Asheville, NC.  One of the best shows I have ever seen.  No one in the arena sat down once and the system sound quality was outstanding (and very loud). 

I feel like I saw a little piece of music history.  If you get the opportunity to see them, do it.  Not sure how long they will be touring. 

Charles

p.s. - the sound qualilty of the live performance blows the CD's away.  Can any of you Pixies/vinyl fans tell me if the vinyl versions of their top albums is better than the CD's?

sts9fan

« Reply #724 on: 13 Sep 2010, 02:55 pm »
We went to see The Disco Biscuits on Saturday in Boston.
Tonight we will be heading to The Wilber Theater in Boston to see Dirty Projectors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKuR8RDAzYI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #725 on: 14 Sep 2010, 12:06 am »
Going to see Rush tomorrow night at TD Garden (Boston).

Seats are 14th row and should be pretty good.   :thumb:

Rush will be playing Moving Pictures in its entirety and that should be quite a treat.  If the set list from the other night is any indication, this show will rock!!

Set One
The Spirit Of Radio
Time Stand Still
Presto
Stick It Out
Workin' Them Angels
Leave That Thing Alone
Faithless
BU2B
Freewill
Marathon
Subdivisions

Set Two
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Caravan
Drum Solo
Closer To The Heart
2112 Part I: Overture
2112 Part II: The Temples Of Syrinx
Far Cry

Encore:
La Villa Strangiato
Working Man

Will try and get a few decent pics at the show.

George

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #726 on: 14 Sep 2010, 12:16 am »
Now that is a great set list!  All my favorite Rush tunes!  :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #727 on: 18 Sep 2010, 01:35 pm »
The Rush concert the another night was a mixed bag for me and on some level was a disappointment.

On the positive side, I liked the set list, the band had lots of energy, and the showmanship was excellent!  The "Time Machine" theme was well done from the opening parody video to the set props and action. The crowd was into the show (which makes sense - you don't accidentally go to a Rush show) and really rocked. 

On the negative side of the ledger it all boiled down to one thing - THE SOUND SUCKED!!  The best way I can describe it would be piercing highs, too much bass, and silly levels of distortion.  I thought maybe this was limited to our location (first 15 rows on the floor), but I talked to friends at work who were scattered about the arena (TD Garden in Boston) and they felt the same way.  Having seen Rush a lot of times over the years (only missed one tour since Signals), from a sonics perspective this was their worst performance. 

Even with the poor sonics, I am happy I went and did enjoy myself.  I'll continue to see this power trio as long as they tour.   :thumb:

I tried to get some good pics, but it really didn't come out how I would like.  Here are a few that were salvageable:

George

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #728 on: 19 Sep 2010, 03:26 pm »
This summer:

Joan Baez, Guy Clark opened, Red Rock Amphitheater Salt Lake
Jack Johnson, G-Love opened (excellent), Usana Amphitheater Salt Lake
Bob Dylan And His Band, Dough Boys opened (20-something guitarist and 30s singer in formal suits doing old style blues, good), Deer Park Amphitheater Park City 
B.B. King, Al Green opened, then Buddy Guy, then B.B, Deer Park in Park City...someone forgot to tell Al Green he was in Park City not Salt Lake
Bob Dylan And His Band, Dough Boys opened, then John Cougar Mellencamp...baseball park in Missoula, stood 40' in front of Bob the entire concert, Bob had more energy than most/all of the band much younger than he (Bob's bassist in both performances same as the mid-90s MTV Unplugged concert...on DVD the resolution and colors are as close to BD as I've ever seen, A+).  Can you believe some MT people left after Mellencamp/before Bob performed?

Missed a lot of great acts this summer, hopefully to be corrected in 2011. 

« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2010, 06:08 pm by James Romeyn »

sts9fan

« Reply #729 on: 19 Sep 2010, 03:56 pm »
Saw Pavement last night in Boston.  The show was not sold out and we ere able to grab some seats thirteenish rows back.  Super loud be super good.
http://picasaweb.google.com/krisadams/20100919Pavement091810?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3c2q2_yq6ZNA&feat=directlink

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2010-09-19 Pavement 09.18.10</td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 2010-09-19 Pavement 09.18.10</td></tr></table>

IonMoon

« Reply #730 on: 19 Sep 2010, 05:13 pm »
Missed a lot of great acts this summer, hopefully to be corrected in 2011. 

Sounds like you still got to see a lot of great shows...

May I rant?!?

I am so bummed that there are a few bands coming close to me that I will not be seeing because the tickets got bought up by brokers before I could buy them. Since none are in my town and require time and money to get there anyhow, I then have to decide whether I really want to pay 3X the face value... That and playing weekday nights in cities too far for a day trip.

Grrrrrr

Some shows I want to see but likely won't:

The XX
Mumford & Sons
Peter Mulvey (who is also playing the same night as Medeski Martin & Wood)

Maybe I'll do a trip to one of them ticketless and hope for luck at the doors?

I WILL be seeing the Wood Brothers in December (last two attempts have been thwarted!) & Elizabeth in the Catapults in Oct- just praying they will play the one unrecorded song I love (so I can record it  :icon_twisted:)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #731 on: 19 Sep 2010, 05:57 pm »
Dylan was exclusively "general admission" at all shows.  IIRC tickets were pretty reasonable, like $55 or thereabouts for the musical composer/artist who made more impact on contemporary culture and music than any other, maybe more than all the rest combined.  (Significantly more affordable than $250ea for Van Morrison in San Francisco.  I'd love to see that show.)

In Missoula we sat in seats in the stands during the opening acts (Dough Boys and I forgot to mention John Cougar Mellencamp).  We walked down to stand in front of Bob when he performed. 

There were eight empty seats between a married couple.  They said the seats were reserved for their friends who "had just left to get drinks and would return".  I had already checked with the PD who said there was no reserved seats because it was "general admission".  The couple had spread two little sweaters over 1.5 seats each.  I sat my ass right down in the middle of the reserved seats and encouraged Debra my wife to sit next to me. Her husband finally let her walk by to sit down after a bunch of hassling.

The lady stands next to me almost touching and says real sternly, now you really have to leave.  I tell her if she can pickup 240 lbs I'll be on my way, then added the info the officer gave me about no reserve seats and suggested they go find him.  Then she taps me on the shoulder repeating her silly demand, I call the PD and the same officer visits to tell her the way it is.  45 minutes later her (imaginary) guests had not returned from "getting drinks". 

Happily it ended well with her daughter buying us drinks and candy (which I respectfully refused) after we moved down to the end so they could sit together.  Except two of her eights guests who arrived late had to sit elsewhere.

IonMoon

« Reply #732 on: 20 Sep 2010, 12:14 am »
LOL You weren't out to make any friends, huh? Good for you though!

$55 is MORE than reasonable for Bob Dylan... I would feel guilty paying so little!

And when you contrast that to $100+/ticket for Mumford or XX??? Sigh. When I need at least 2 tickets. IDK. I mean I try to talk myself into it... these are groups that I may never get the opportunity to see again touring for what may be theor only great albums. And since I am easily willing to part with gas and hotel money and take time off from work to get to the show, what's a little extra for the tickets? I guess it is just the principle of it that gets me.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #733 on: 20 Sep 2010, 01:06 am »
Zappa Plays Zappa in Baltimore earlier today.
I don't know how many people were there but two blocks were cordoned off and the place was packed.
A tremendous three hour set following the unvieling of a Frank Zappa bust at the library, the street being named Frank Zappa Way and today being proclaimed Frank Zappa Day in Baltimore.
A very emotional day for the Zappa family and for the fans alike.
Both Frank's widow, Gail, and his daughter, Diva, broke down during the speeches.  Here's a shot of Diva being comforted by Dweezil.  Frank's other son, Ahmet, is in the green shirt on the far left.
The Zappa family strikes me as being a very nice bunch.
A great day.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #734 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:56 am »
...the unvieling of a Frank Zappa bust at the library....

A bit from You Tube....

Ruby Mae

« Reply #735 on: 26 Sep 2010, 04:26 pm »
DEAN BROWN with PRIMO
Long Beach Jazz Festival

Dean is an amazing guitarist!

Loved seeing you Woofie :kiss: :lol:

The Festival continued today....

I had the pleasure of seeing Dean Brown again today in addition to Oz Noy and Alex Fox... all amazing guitarists  8)
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2010, 01:25 am by Ruby Mae »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #736 on: 26 Sep 2010, 05:19 pm »
We may see Dylan (3rd time this year) in MI.

U2 next March in Salt Lake.  Even Dylan admired Bono.

mmurt

« Reply #737 on: 27 Sep 2010, 09:04 pm »
Went to the House of Blues in San Diego Thursday night to see Michael Franti and Spearhead.  I'm not your wall to wall people, sweating and dancing non stop kinda guy, being 52 and all.  What a high energy high spirit show!  Left there 2 hours later soaked in sweat on such a cool high.   If you can leave it all behind I recommend seeing this band, very fun!!

I also recently saw The Tommy Castro Band play at the Birch Aquarium.  Great venue and they put on quite a show.  Watched the sunset and surfers at the Scripps Pier with a couple of good beers then the band rip off some great tunes.

decal

« Reply #738 on: 29 Sep 2010, 05:10 am »
Just got back from the Neil Young show at the Saenger Theater in Pensacola,FL.First things first.....Allen Toussaint opened the show,what a treat!! A true "living legend".Now for Neil...Neil's voice sounds strong,he can't hit the upper registers like he used to but overall he sounded strong.Lots of old material and most of the new album.The new songs are really good but I didn't care for the heavier electric stuff he did solo.I can tell they're going to be good with his whole band but the solo renditions didn't do it for me.He seemed to be in a great mood as he bantered with the audience a lot.He played a lot longer than I expected.I would have liked to hear more piano but that's just me.My Daughter was stoked because he played her favorite song,"After The Gold Rush".Overall a great show and well worth the price of admission.
Next on my agenda.....Dr. John 10/15 at the Vinyl Music Hall here in Pensacola,FL then The Levon Helm Band 11/7 at the Saenger Theater in Mobile,AL.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #739 on: 29 Sep 2010, 05:16 am »
The new songs are really good but I didn't care for the heavier electric stuff he did solo

His new album came out today...