Jolida SG202 and JD202

chgolatin2

Jolida SG202 and JD202
« on: 30 Jun 2020, 04:03 am »
For those that know about Jolida, the model SG202, and the JD202, what are the differences? They're basically the same tube amp, one is older than the other but that's all that I know... A friend is selling me the SG202 for around $660 shipped not sure wether to take the plunge.  The JD seems more modern looking with blue light when turned on vs a yellowish light on the SG, also the knobs are different and the transforfmers.  Supposedly, both amps were built a the same factory Shenda.

Yay or nay?  Anyone care to chime in?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Jolida SG202 and JD202
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2020, 04:19 am »
Do you could post both specs and photos to comparison?
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2020, 07:58 am by FullRangeMan »

chgolatin2

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2020, 04:47 pm »
Do you could post both specs and photos to comparison?

I don't have the SG202 specs, can't find them.  But I found the specs to the JD202 which is below~
Maximum Power Output: 60 W per channel at 8 ohms, 1KHz

Rated Output Power: 40 W per channel at 8 ohms, 30Hz to 80KHz

Frequency Response: (at 1 watt into 8 ohms) 7Hz to 140KHz + 3dB; 0dB at 1KHz

Bandwidth: 17Hz to 140KHz + 3dB; 0dB = 40 W 1KHz, 8 ohms

Distortion THD + N: Less than 1% at 30W output, 40Hz to 14KHz, 8 ohms

Circuit Type: Ultra Linear, Class AB1

Input Impedance: 100Kohms

Input Sensitivity: Max. 350mV at 1KHz for 40 watt output

Output Impedance: 4 ohms and 8 ohms

Negative Feedback: Less than 9 dB

Noise and Hum: 80dB below rated output.

Tube Complement: 2 matched pairs (4) of 6CA7/EL34 power output; 2 pcs. 12AX7A pre-amplifier, 2 pcs. 12AT7 power drivers.

Power Requirements: 110V-120 VAC 60Hz 120 watts-standby, 300 watts maximum (220 VAC 50Hz option).

Dimensions: 12.5 inches (30 cm) wide by 12 inches (31 cm) deep by 8.25 inches (21 cm) high.

Weight: 28 pounds (13 Kg) net, approximately 32 pounds (15 Kg) packaged.

Warranty: One year limited parts and labor. Six months or 500 hours whichever comes first on Jolida Tubes.

Bias Settings: 40 millivolts + 4 mV

Fuse: 110-120 VAC, 6.3 Fast Blo; 200-240 VAC, 3 Amp Fast Blo

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2020, 09:05 pm »
60W is a lot of power, if your speakers are 97-100dB you will need under 10W which will allow use a single ended triode amp as Inspire/Dennis Head which can tube rolling the best sound tubes.

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2020, 10:00 pm »
I would do some research on it if I were you. I bought a new JD302B in 2004 for $800, 60W vs. the 202 @ 40W. I could have got a JD202 for $630 + $40 shipping.
And I believe the SG models were before the JD models, so it's possible the SG you mention could be pretty old. Did you ask your friend when it was manufactured?

But I did like the amp, as well as a couple other Jolida products (100W tube amp, CD player)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2020, 10:10 pm »
Unfortunately they are Ultralinear not Triode and use PCBs, the buyer have to aware that are buying not a purist amp.
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2020, 01:13 am by FullRangeMan »

chgolatin2

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2020, 04:10 am »
Unfortunately they are Ultralinear not Triode and use PCBs, the buyer have to aware that are buying not a purist amp.

I don't quite understand what's so unfortunate about an "Ultralinear" tube amp, whether they use PCBs, SET, etc doesn't matter its all about personal taste, budget.  There's also no discernable difference in sound between a point to point wiring and PCB's besides marking snake oil.  Many "want" to believe they truly hear a difference because they want to justify the amount of money they spent on audio equipment, especially tube audio. Unless you have an engineering degree in electronics and special tools to truly discern the difference  :scratch:

I enjoy Jolida brand, Cayin, and other Japanese, Chinese made tube audio for the money they perform just as well as their counterparts costing 3X or 10X more...   :wink:

chgolatin2

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2020, 04:11 am »
I would do some research on it if I were you. I bought a new JD302B in 2004 for $800, 60W vs. the 202 @ 40W. I could have got a JD202 for $630 + $40 shipping.
And I believe the SG models were before the JD models, so it's possible the SG you mention could be pretty old. Did you ask your friend when it was manufactured?

But I did like the amp, as well as a couple other Jolida products (100W tube amp, CD player)

You are correct, the SG models are the older model to the JD, good point let me inquire about the year that the unit was made... 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2020, 11:52 am »
I don't quite understand what's so unfortunate about an "Ultralinear" tube amp, whether they use PCBs, SET, etc doesn't matter its all about personal taste, budget.  There's also no discernable difference in sound between a point to point wiring and PCB's besides marking snake oil.  Many "want" to believe they truly hear a difference because they want to justify the amount of money they spent on audio equipment, especially tube audio. Unless you have an engineering degree in electronics and special tools to truly discern the difference  :scratch:

I enjoy Jolida brand, Cayin, and other Japanese, Chinese made tube audio for the money they perform just as well as their counterparts costing 3X or 10X more...   :wink:
If you cant hear the difference from a hand made single tube SET from a serial made PCB PP amp or a hi power UL where tubes run on the limit, there is no reason to use a tube amp and listen even harmonics that your brain dont recognize.

In this case you can save and get a Transistor amp new or used or even better a Class D, no expense to retube and run cold in the summer. Aged PCBs tube amps have cooked PCBs and what Kevin didnt say tends to detach tracks due expansion/contraction which can not be fixed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsL-i8nFvdA
« Last Edit: 1 Jul 2020, 12:55 pm by FullRangeMan »

Docere

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2020, 10:22 pm »
I would take care if purchasing older tube amps: ascertain if the model is generally reliable/safe and how easily they can be repaired and get a use and service history of actual amplifier. Still, you could just purchase: only you can know if you are willing to drop the $$$ and take the risk on something than might not be reliable/safe.

You almost hit the nail on the head with your comment about people wanting to believe, but missed that confirmation bias cuts both ways: some people don't want to believe a difference exists because that is more aligned with their belief system and desire to be worthy. It’s what humans do.

Sure a well implemented PCB can sound better than a crappy point-to-point. And vice versa. For a tube amp, I believe well done point-to-point is potentially superior in presenting music and reliability and ease of repair/maintenance. However, point-to-point will not be practical for some builds.

I’d expect amps that costs x3 or x10 as much to offer something better, but sometimes they don’t... but now we are into people’s beliefs and expectations and they will be different for each of us.

If I were running a system that needed the power and damping factor of PP and feedback I might find it difficult to justify a PP IDH pentode/UL amplifier these days.
« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2020, 11:06 am by Docere »

chgolatin2

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2020, 09:01 pm »
I would take care if purchasing older tube amps: ascertain if the model is generally reliable/safe and how easily they can be repaired and get a use and service history of actual amplifier. Still, you could just purchase: only you can know if you are willing to drop the $$$ and take the risk on something than might not be reliable/safe.

You almost hit the nail on the head with your comment about people wanting to believe, but missed that confirmation bias cuts both ways: some people don't want to believe a difference exists because that is more aligned with their belief system and desire to be worthy. It’s what humans do.

Sure a well implemented PCB can sound better than a crappy point-to-point. And vice versa. For a tube amp, I believe well done point-to-point is potentially superior in presenting music and reliability and ease of repair/maintenance. However, point-to-point will not be practical for some builds.

I’d expect amps that costs x3 or x10 as much to offer something better, but sometimes they don’t... but now we are into people’s beliefs and expectations and they will be different for each of us.
If I were running a system that needed the power and damping factor of PP and feedback I might find it difficult to justify a PP IDH pentode/UL amplifier these days.

People's belief system falls in line with bias.  Besides, aren't all "belief' systems fundamentally flawed? Some or may I say many people are subjective, it's part of life we can go on and on about SET/PCB's/Point to Point, and the list goes on...  All I know and judging by my own personal experience is that solid-state does not compare to tube sound. Whether that's PCB/PP, Triode, Pentode, you name it... Tubes sound is my belief system  :wink:

Colnagofan

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2020, 02:22 pm »
Comparing SET amps to other types of tube amps is apples to oranges.

I run a Jolida 302B with NOS tubes and it sounds wonderful. Jolida is in business, does repairs, upgrades and recaps. They are super helpful over the phone with questions, issues, suggestions. They helped me out a couple of times I thought I had amp issues when it was really tube issues.

It’s funny how companies go in and out of fashion unrelated to the quality of their products.

Steven

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2020, 10:26 pm »
The 202 was a very nice amplifier. I don't remember if it was the early series or both but all the ones I worked on had a dual sided circuit board. (302s/502s did not). Nice boards but a bit more time consuming to upgrade. Jolida amps take very well to simple, affordable upgrades. And you can also run them single ended. The later versions had better 1uality parts but would not take much to upgrade a few parts while inside. Resistors, coupling capacitors and volume control.
I think the price is a bit high for a unit of this age as tbey haven't produced this amp in some time but a very nice sounding amp non the less.