"The New Analog"

doak

"The New Analog"
« on: 25 Nov 2015, 10:34 pm »
DSD via the Lampizator = "The New Analog"  :thumb:

Further improvements in my system, most recently power filtration/conditioning translate to even better sound from the from the Lampi.  A (former) die-hard vinyl aficionado, my phono preamp went down months ago and I am in no hurry to get it back up and going - though I'm sure I will at some point. (Lest any think this is a some sort of "back-handed compliment" be assured coming from me it is "of the highest honor.")

BTW: Problems with my (expensive) active preamp prompted me to go back to a very simple  transformer based controller.  The active preamp isn't going back in, ever.  My Lampi has PLENTY of juice to drive the entire system and the transformer controller does an excellent job of just getting out of the way.

sfox7076

Re: "The New Analog"
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2015, 03:29 am »
Good to hear.  I prefer my preamp to be in (12AU7) based preamp.  May change.  Will have to see.  The source selection on the volume control enabled GG is something to be worked on for future generations. 

wisnon

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2015, 08:31 am »

Heheh...a digital TT then.

doak

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2015, 12:28 pm »
Good analogy, wisnon!  :)

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2015, 07:58 pm »

Further improvements in my system, most recently power filtration/conditioning translate to even better sound from the from the Lampi.  A (former) die-hard vinyl aficionado, my phono preamp went down months ago and I am in no hurry to get it back up and going - though I'm sure I will at some point. (Lest any think this is a some sort of "back-handed compliment" be assured coming from me it is "of the highest honor.")

BTW: Problems with my (expensive) active preamp prompted me to go back to a very simple  transformer based controller.  The active preamp isn't going back in, ever.  My Lampi has PLENTY of juice to drive the entire system and the transformer controller does an excellent job of just getting out of the way.

I'm not sure I would give up my analog rig to listen to digital, but your comment on getting rid of your active preamp grabbed my attention. I've been thinking about swapping out my Ayre solid state preamp for something with tubes. If a Lampi DAC had volume control and a pair of line inputs for my phono preamp, that might be interesting!

wisnon

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2015, 08:04 pm »
I'm not sure I would give up my analog rig to listen to digital, but your comment on getting rid of your active preamp grabbed my attention. I've been thinking about swapping out my Ayre solid state preamp for something with tubes. If a Lampi DAC had volume control and a pair of line inputs for my phono preamp, that might be interesting!

Mine does...

toddc2

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2015, 08:23 pm »
Mine does...

Hmm...do tell more! I did a quick search through the Lampi site but I didn't see anything related to analog inputs. I did see a few expired "for sale" ads that had the analog inputs on both B5 and B6 units so I assume it's an option on the Big variants.

Does it have a tube gain stage, and if so, what's the gain? Can it be configured as balanced out?

Todd

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2015, 12:35 am »
I do not believe the preamp section goes through the tubes in the Lampi.  The Volume Control/preamp is the only thing on the Golden Gate I can fault.  It isn't the sound.  It is the implementation.  My DAC has a USB, a TOSlink, a Coaxial Digital and a line in preamp. The DAC has 4 input settings:

1 Non DSD Digital
2 DSD
3 Line Level in
4 AUX

As far as I can tell, AUX is not hooked up to anything.

The Non-DSD input has a separate toggle button to cycle through three inputs, USB, a TOSlink, and coaxial digital.  The issue for me is that I cannot hit one button to get to my DVD player.  I have to hit 1, then hit the toggle button two times to get from USB to the coaxial digital.  Makes using my harmony remote more difficult and makes using the DAC as a preamp untenable for my wife.  It is the main reason that the Concert Fidelity remains (and will get upgraded or maybe replaced) as that is simpler to use (despite not having remote input select).

Shawn

toddc2

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2015, 01:08 am »
Thanks Shawn, this is very helpful. I figured the line level in didn't go through the tube gain stage, but it sure would be cool if it did! The GG is flying waaaay out of my price comfort zone....I hope you are enjoying yours!

wisnon

« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2015, 10:22 am »
I do not believe the preamp section goes through the tubes in the Lampi.  The Volume Control/preamp is the only thing on the Golden Gate I can fault.  It isn't the sound.  It is the implementation.  My DAC has a USB, a TOSlink, a Coaxial Digital and a line in preamp. The DAC has 4 input settings:

I think it does Shawn. Its a continuation of his stand alone preamp that he no longer makes.

Gopher

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2015, 01:13 pm »
+1

It is a tube preamplifier solution as well.