Focal 714 chorus 5 crossover upgrade

Jabski

Focal 714 chorus 5 crossover upgrade
« on: 8 Apr 2019, 04:46 pm »
Ok,  brand new guy here, and

not as knowledgeable as the majority of you guys, but  I have decent skills with a soldering iron, and would like to improve the caps in my crossover.
Not sure about the 2 different style caps here. The black cap that has MET on it, why is it different than the others?
So basically, after seeing the caps I have here, what types would be an improvement?
I understand that these aren’t killer speakers, but I just like tweaking things and was hoping for some suggestions.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Focal 714 chorus 5 crossover upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2019, 04:55 am »
The black Focal cap is a 100Volts Metalized film cap.
The caps are aged? how many years or use?

This xover is susceptible of many mods, both inductors can be swithed for ribbon air core, mainly the iron core inductor, reel inductors are no longer used in home audio due they vibrate inside the reel with the cone sound vibration and the passing electrical signal.

You could post this topic again at the Sonic Craft shop Circle:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=201
Where Jeff will advice you on the best options to upgrade.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2019, 12:46 pm by FullRangeMan »

mzbrahce

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2019, 01:04 pm »
Check out this thread, too:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137288.0
Danny is one of the best speaker designers around and he offers this incredible service free!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2019, 11:40 am »
Tried $50 Jupiter caps over cheap caps and made a nice improvement.  But one thing could lead to another and the tweeters were only $20 apiece, so...