Amateur Build of the X-MTM Encore

Panamarenko

Re: Amateur Build of the X-MTM Encore
« Reply #260 on: 22 May 2021, 12:03 pm »
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I needed.

jonsk2514

« Reply #261 on: 22 May 2021, 12:43 pm »
 :thumb:

I thought of your question last night when the sound track of a show I was watching had these shaking the floor again... I continue to be surprised and amazed by these...  :green:

Build and enjoy!

jonsk2514

« Reply #262 on: 14 Jul 2021, 12:41 am »
Ok, I promise not to inundate everyone with post after post of how great these speakers are, but they are great...

https://youtu.be/b9pRTx43Vn8

you can like or dislike Dave Matthews band, but this is a very good (incredible ?) recording at The Gorge and it shows how good these speakers are.

Every thing that is played show through and not as a single instrument.  But as a band, with nothing missing as it is with other recordings.  These are the most transparent speakers.  The sound comes from the screen between the speakers and all around..

And I apologize to those following my X-LS/X-CS build.  The X-MTMs are so good, I may have may have found these are so enjoyable that the others are falling behind.  I do promise, though, these others will get done. It may mean cutting down on listening to the X-MTM.

tc2007

• Industry Participant
    • CNC cut DIY speaker cabinet parts
« Reply #263 on: 17 Aug 2021, 10:44 pm »
I am interested in the MTM's as a replacement for my Klipsch RP-280FA which are similar to the RP-8000F which are currently my Home Theater front 2 channels. For replacing my Klipsch RP-450C center channel, I am planning on getting the XLS Center kit.

Anyone think this is going to be enough SPL to replace the Klipsches?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #264 on: 19 Aug 2021, 12:42 am »
The X-MTM are rated at 91dB efficiency, I think the 8000f are little more efficient closer to 94dB, but i also know that Klipsch is known for overestimating the actual efficiency of their speakers.
The 8000F are stated as being 98dB, but the measurements say its closer to an average of 94dB with 98db only being the two peaks in the upper treble.. The modded version is closer to 92dB.

jonsk2514

« Reply #265 on: 19 Aug 2021, 11:42 am »
I am interested in the MTM's as a replacement for my Klipsch RP-280FA which are similar to the RP-8000F which are currently my Home Theater front 2 channels. For replacing my Klipsch RP-450C center channel, I am planning on getting the XLS Center kit.

Anyone think this is going to be enough SPL to replace the Klipsches?

I think what Hobbsmeerkat said is likely to be most meaningful.

But from a subjective stand point I have found that, with the X-MTMs, their clarity, range and depth makes up for the need for higher volume levels.  I definitely play them lower than the speakers they replace.  So the likelihood is that you may be playing them at a lower volume level anyway, which would make up for any amount of SPL difference.  Mine are in a modest size room and they will easily get to an uncomfortable sound levels if pushed...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #266 on: 19 Aug 2021, 03:38 pm »
Everyone else was more tactful in their responses, I'll be more blunt.  The Klipsch speakers simply are not on the same level as the GR Research speakers.  And Klipsch does inflate their efficiency numbers, usually 2 or 3 db, sometimes more.  GR Research does not.  So real world efficiency between these 2 speakers is actually going to be very close.  If you have the $$ to swap over to the GR Research speakers, it's a no brainer, they are flat-out better.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #267 on: 19 Aug 2021, 07:13 pm »
I second this.
Better drivers, better cabinets, better crossovers.
I would take them over a pair of modded 8000F towers every day.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #268 on: 24 Aug 2021, 07:35 am »
I second this.
Better drivers, better cabinets, better crossovers.
I would take them over a pair of modded 8000F towers every day.
Awww Hobbs Danny will be so proud of you. I'd take the MTM's too.  :thumb:

tc2007

• Industry Participant
« Reply #269 on: 3 Sep 2021, 03:32 am »
I finally sold my RP-280FA and ordered the MTM + Centers. :)

JWCoffman

« Reply #270 on: 3 Sep 2021, 02:31 pm »
You won't be disappointed. I went from Klipsch (albeit older ones) to the same setup you just ordered and the performance jump was incredible.  They are far more detailed and revealing without being shouty.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #271 on: 3 Sep 2021, 04:09 pm »
....  They are far more detailed and revealing without being shouty.

Pretty much sums up the entire GR Research sound.

tc2007

• Industry Participant
« Reply #272 on: 3 Sep 2021, 09:22 pm »
 :thumb: I already have a Encore bookshelf pair built in Baltic Birch Plywood. Really like the sound. Plus my non-audiophile family members gave their mark of approval  :lol: