Importing to the UK

grabsy

Importing to the UK
« on: 13 Aug 2021, 06:34 am »
Hi Everyone, first post here so please be gentle.

Can anyone give me their general experience of importing an X-LS Encore kit plus cabinets into the UK or Europe. I realise there will be import duty and in the case of the UK VAT to pay when they arrive, It was more if you felt it was worth it from an end product point of view. I have no experience of woodworking (apart from putting a fence up) or electrical work although I am keen to try. Would I be better buying the cabinets already assembled and finished rather than flat packed?

Thanks for reading

Grabsy

Danny Richie

Re: Importing to the UK
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2021, 11:17 pm »
We ship product over there all the time now. I think you guys have to pay about 20% in duty or taxes.

And the shipping cost of the Encore kit is not too bad, but the shipping cost to send those flat packs (dead weight) can really add up.

birdyblabla

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2021, 11:46 am »
Hi there, also my first post.
Living in Europe/Vienna/Austria
Interested in the NXtremes. Would it be possible to order the elecronical kit and get a plan for the mdf flat packs so that a carpenter here in Vienna could easily make it the same way?

Best marco

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2021, 01:50 pm »
The flat packs require CNC cutting to make it work.

birdyblabla

« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2021, 05:51 am »
The flat packs require CNC cutting to make it work.
I know. In case my carpenter has a cnc cutting machine, would it be possible?

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2021, 10:30 pm »
I know. In case my carpenter has a cnc cutting machine, would it be possible?

If I had drawings to send you, which I don't... Then you'd have to spend the time and money to program it. Then cut a sample. The same would have to be sent here for measuring and testing to see if it matches the response we are getting with our current tweeter wave guide. Corrections will be recommended, and a new sample cut and sent for measuring and testing again... over and over until it measures properly.

We've been there.

It is much less expensive to buy the flat packs.

Joris

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2021, 05:21 pm »
But this time from The Netherlands.

As a woodworker myself with the possibility to program and use a CNC, I planned on ordering the X-LS Encore kit without the flat packs.
Then by using the X-LS Cabinet Plans from the website I want to build the cabinets.

But do I understand correctly form Danny Richies respons that this is not possible for the correct sound (tweeter wave guide)?
Does this mean that the X-LS Cabinet Plans on the website are not correct, or the same as the flat packs?

Please let me know.
Best,
Joris

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2021, 03:27 am »
But this time from The Netherlands.

As a woodworker myself with the possibility to program and use a CNC, I planned on ordering the X-LS Encore kit without the flat packs.
Then by using the X-LS Cabinet Plans from the website I want to build the cabinets.

But do I understand correctly form Danny Richies respons that this is not possible for the correct sound (tweeter wave guide)?
Does this mean that the X-LS Cabinet Plans on the website are not correct, or the same as the flat packs?

Please let me know.
Best,
Joris

Danny is talking about the speakers in the NX series (NX-Studio, NX-Oticas, and NX-Tremes). These speakers use the Neo3 planar magnetic tweeter in a waveguide that physically aligns the center of the tweeter with the center of the midrange drivers and is shaped to provide the desired response.

The cabinets for the X series speakers, like the X-LS, are built from plans so the parts can be cut by hand or programmed to a CNC machine