Is this a good connection?

mauveport

• http://www.consorminex.com
Is this a good connection?
« on: 4 Jun 2003, 12:29 am »
Dear group,

I am assembling an Ear + headphone amplifier/line pre amplifier and would like to ask a few questions. I have no formal training ( precious little knowledge of any kind in electronics ) therefore expect naïve questions.

My first non-practice connection. Iron in hand, all tinned: Iron, transformer pins, SF 4700 silicon diodes. Heat sink haemostat standing guard; do not touch the copper tip with the solder wire. Ah, nice, shiny bulbs of solder on connections, diode wands all erect... but are they cold, white, good.. I don’t know?  If I test with my little Mastercraft multimetre? Transformer pin to closest whisker: good! Moves from infinity to 0. Pin to distal whisker: 6.3 ohms at the x1k setting; damn forgot to check the diode for comparison, before soldering. Well all four diodes are so. That is reassuring. Interesting: when the multimetre probes are switched so that the –  is close to the pin and the + rests on the farthest diode whisker, the metre registers the prone 8. Is this normal? Is this what is meant by an asymmetrical diode. Should I blunder on.

Is using a mutimetre to measure resistance as I have described above as a way of verifying the integrity of a solder joint ( if that joint also looks solid, that is, it is not in danger of breaking off because it is hanging by a hair ). Is this a sound approach?

Thank you,

Mauveport

Dr. Lloyd

• http://www.mapletreeaudio.com
Diode resistance readings are normal
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2003, 12:34 pm »
The diodes have minimal resistance to current in the direction out of the banded end and very high resistnace to current flow in the other direction. Your meter imposes a dc voltage acreoss the diode to measure the resistance so you observe the diode effect that you have reported. Unless your solder joint is not making connection to one of the wires, a multimeter will show essentially zero Ohms even if it is a "cold" joint. The best way is to observe the connection making sure all wires/leads are enclosed by solder and that the joint is one continuous mass of shiney metal. IF you add more solder, heat the joint until all the previous solder is molten. Proceed with confidence.

Lloyd