Vista Audio I84 Review in Positive Feedback - Congratulations Boris!

Occam

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue30/vistaaudio_i84.htm

I just wish it pumped out 100wpc  :(

EDIT - corrected the thread title and the link as well, as PF has also corrected the title and link
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2007, 03:02 pm by Occam »

JoshK

it was a heck of a good amp, me thought.  it sounded bigger than its specs suggested.  i think we did clip it eventually with the 90db gma executives but we were pushing it quite hard and loud. 

i think everyone who heard it upstairs with the gma europas thought you were getting a lot of amp for a little coin.   :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Congrats Boris on the review !!!  :beer:
That amp got a lot of action at topround's Rave...performed well in three different rooms....and it really is a bargain. Glad to see someone took note of that fact.... :thumb:

dave clark

• www.positive-feedback.com
Please excuse my error... I mis-named the page "alta vista" (search engine) as opposed to the correct "vista audio". the correct link is
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue30/vistaaudio_i84.htm
Dave Clark

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Boris,

Hard work does pay off. Best of luck to you and your business. At the price it is untouchable. Love the red glow through the tubes.

rollo

Audiovista

Paul, thanks for posting the info!  :thumb:

May I ask you to change title to Vista Audio....(don't want the search engine guys on my back, I'm sure they have a TM on that)? Thanks!

Josh, Chris and Charlie, thanks for the kind words. I am very pleased with the review  :D , Akhilesh really made an effort to look/hear beyond the low price (as, sometimes, the price of gear does affect what we hear...).

Boris

pilot232

Boris,

I noticed that the reviewer experimented with substituting 12AU7 input/driver tubes.  However, the online owner's manual only references substituting 12AT7 (ECC81) tubes.  Could this be the source of the softening in the focus that the reviewer noted?   :scratch:

Also, in most circuits, a 5751 can be substituted for a 12AX7 and I am wondering if that is also OK for the i84?

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to listen to the i84 but the buzz here on Audio Circle and elsewhere has me very tempted.  I have at least 8 vintage EL84 amps and couple of modern ones.  I probably need to get rid of a few before a buy a new one.   :violin:

I am currently using Ed's horns and, based on the Positive Feedback review, the i84 might be a pretty good match.  I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried this combination.   :drool:

I also have a pair of LS3/5As, which are very inefficient (83.5dB) but an easy 11 ohm load for most tube amps.  I have driven them successfully with other PP EL84 amps (moderate volumes, smallish room) and the i84 might be a great switch hitter for both sets of speakers.   aa

In any event, congratulations on the review.   :D

Cheers.

Audiovista

Boris,

I noticed that the reviewer experimented with substituting 12AU7 input/driver tubes.  However, the online owner's manual only references substituting 12AT7 (ECC81) tubes.  Could this be the source of the softening in the focus that the reviewer noted?   :scratch:

I did not experiment with 12AU7 but it has much lower gain that 12AX7 and the operating point is not optimized. With 12AX7 input sensitivity is ~650mVrms, with 12AT7 it is about 1Vrms and it sounds little different (no surprise there :wink:), some say more like a good SE amp. I'll take another look at 12AU7 to see if I can understand the interaction better. I should have some in stock.

Also, in most circuits, a 5751 can be substituted for a 12AX7 and I am wondering if that is also OK for the i84?

Never tried, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't  :scratch:

I have at least 8 vintage EL84 amps and couple of modern ones.  I probably need to get rid of a few before a buy a new one.   :violin:

:drool: :drool: :drool: I have only three but they need some TLC.

In any event, congratulations on the review.   :D

Many Thanks :D  :D
Boris

Levi

Congrats Boris.  I did heard the amp in several different occasions and it is a great sounding amp no doubt.

Pictured here running the Green Mountain Audio speakers.  Oh yeah, that was Chris next to it. :lol:

Closer

SET Man

Hey!

Boris, congratulation on the well deserved review of your amp :D That amp did a great job driving those GMA "Europa" speaker at the Rave... in a square shaped room I might add :roll:

With a right pair of speaker this amp will make a very nice simple but very good sounding system. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

macaroo

Hello guys, I own one of Boris' i84 amps. I recently got back from my lady friends (an opera lover). She had recently recieved a PrimaLuna Tube amp, the 40 watt/ch model with KT88's.. I put on my favourite ELP dvd and listened closely. After a while Rita asked me what I thought compared to the i84 (I had loaned my i84 to Rita for a week, she played the hell out of with all sorts of music using some very good paradigm speakers) well, I said its different for sure. She  replied its not as warm as my i84, I had to agree. Opera voices were somewhat harsh, as was Gregg Lakes. I said it may improve with use - it had only 10 or so hours on it. She had been thinking of buying a Denon amp, I asked her why she went with tubes? She replied I was hoping to get the warm sound of the i84, she was a somewhat disappointed with the PrimaLuma it cost around $2000 Canadian. It is a very nice looking amp and heavy, but then we don't buy them for looks do we?..Nice pair of white gloves included..I will check back with Rita's Primaluma after she has put some hours on it, I recommended she just leave it on for a week or so.

See my earlier review of the i84 :-

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37294.0

Regards John