BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS
« Reply #1040 on: 14 Nov 2014, 06:50 pm »
What ever happened to the recently announced BDP-1USB? I see that it hasn't made it to the website site yet, is it still not yet for sale?

Hi

We start building them this week but are a lot more backordered than we thought.

james

kzhtoo

« Reply #1041 on: 17 Nov 2014, 02:09 am »
Hi Khin

The BDP1 and BDP2 use the same soundcard so they should sound very similar.

james

Thanks, James.

Finally join the BDP club. I picked up that demo BDP-1 yesterday and got it set up with MPOD using my iPhone. A couple of more questions..
1) What is the latest firmware for BDP-1? It's showing S1.6 2012-12-10. I did try the update link from Firmware page, but it's still the same.
2) I do not get album art or song art on MPOD. I have http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music typed in the URL box and refreshed the local cache many many times.

As for the audio quality, it's very satisfying. I have been using MacBook pro and AppleTV for my HT/2-ch system with Empirical Audio Synchromesh and a highly expensive digital cable (the cable does make a big difference for me). But BDP-1 just makes the music the way it is meant to sound like. To me, it sounds more coherent and timing is just right. Maybe this is what they call phase coherency. I'm not good at explaining with the audiophile terms, all I know is this is now very close to what I've been chasing for 2 years. Have to give up that versatile Apple interface though, which is very hard for me and resisted for a long time, but I feel it is all worth it once bdp-1 started playing music in my rig.

I guess, I'll be buying a bdp-2 soon and move the bdp-1 to the bedroom system. Btw, any info on bdp-3 release date?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1042 on: 17 Nov 2014, 01:05 pm »
Thanks, James.

Finally join the BDP club. I picked up that demo BDP-1 yesterday and got it set up with MPOD using my iPhone. A couple of more questions..
1) What is the latest firmware for BDP-1? It's showing S1.6 2012-12-10. I did try the update link from Firmware page, but it's still the same.
2) I do not get album art or song art on MPOD. I have http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music typed in the URL box and refreshed the local cache many many times.

As for the audio quality, it's very satisfying. I have been using MacBook pro and AppleTV for my HT/2-ch system with Empirical Audio Synchromesh and a highly expensive digital cable (the cable does make a big difference for me). But BDP-1 just makes the music the way it is meant to sound like. To me, it sounds more coherent and timing is just right. Maybe this is what they call phase coherency. I'm not good at explaining with the audiophile terms, all I know is this is now very close to what I've been chasing for 2 years. Have to give up that versatile Apple interface though, which is very hard for me and resisted for a long time, but I feel it is all worth it once bdp-1 started playing music in my rig.

I guess, I'll be buying a bdp-2 soon and move the bdp-1 to the bedroom system. Btw, any info on bdp-3 release date?

Hi kzhtoo

1. There is much newer software available - email Gary at Bryston -gdayton@bryston.com
2. Not sure what could be going on there but Gary may be able to help.  Recommend an IPAD if you want a more dedicated interface.

Glad you are enjoying the sound.  I must get an email a week from customers that have been using very sophisticated computer systems and still find the BDP does a better job - especially in regards to your point on timing.

Enjoy!

james

PS - there will be 'NO'...  BDP-3 - the BDP2 has plenty of computer power for many years to come.

kzhtoo

« Reply #1043 on: 17 Nov 2014, 07:25 pm »
Hi kzhtoo

1. There is much newer software available - email Gary at Bryston -gdayton@bryston.com
2. Not sure what could be going on there but Gary may be able to help.  Recommend an IPAD if you want a more dedicated interface.

Glad you are enjoying the sound.  I must get an email a week from customers that have been using very sophisticated computer systems and still find the BDP does a better job - especially in regards to your point on timing.

Enjoy!

james

PS - there will be 'NO'...  BDP-3 - the BDP2 has plenty of computer power for many years to come.

Thank you, James. I will contact Gary.

It's only been 2 days since I have bdp-1, but I can't praise it enough. I have no idea why I was so late to the party.  :duh:

kzhtoo

« Reply #1044 on: 18 Nov 2014, 07:29 pm »
I followed Gary's instruction and eventually was able to upgrade to S2.06 Manic Moose. It took awhile as it turned out I had to update the firmware 3 times (S1.6 -> S1.75 -> S2.05 -> S2.06). But the final result with MM is nothing short of impressive. It's  a lot more versatile than S1.6. However, with the MPoD app, I still do not see the cover arts (MM is OK though, which tells me the cover arts files are where they should be).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1045 on: 24 Nov 2014, 12:49 am »
Hi James,

I posted a follow up review of my BDP-1 on the Polk Audio forum here:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/164845/bryston-bdp-1-digital-player-review

Ray

BigGeek

« Reply #1046 on: 25 Nov 2014, 10:30 pm »
I followed Gary's instruction and eventually was able to upgrade to S2.06 Manic Moose. It took awhile as it turned out I had to update the firmware 3 times (S1.6 -> S1.75 -> S2.05 -> S2.06). But the final result with MM is nothing short of impressive. It's  a lot more versatile than S1.6. However, with the MPoD app, I still do not see the cover arts (MM is OK though, which tells me the cover arts files are where they should be).

The MPOD and MPAD software is very case sensitive when it comes to cover art. Folder will not work if it is looking for folder. Check your case details.

Biggeek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1047 on: 4 Dec 2014, 08:48 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Dealer Feedback – New BDP-1USB Player

HI guys,

I just thought you should know that I have my new Bryston BDP-1 USB on the floor and sounding great!

It's important to note that we have never had a digital front end sound so amazing for so little cash. A customer could easily go out and buy a decent $500 USB DAC and partner it with the BDP-1USB for s street value of about $2000. I currently have it connected to a $900 USB power DAC and it's just awesome!

I have a lot of customer using dedicated PC/Macs for this purpose and I can now easily sway them.

Thanks again and keep up the solid work!

James

Norton

« Reply #1048 on: 9 Dec 2014, 01:49 pm »
Had my BDP2 for just over a week now and really impressed by the SQ into my Chord Hugo, compared to the fanless PC I was using previously.
Have been particularly impressed playing over USB, including  DSD (1 and 2x) and DXD.  I don't think it's made clear that the BDP can play the latter 2 formats (DoP on case of DSD)

Given that it sounds so good I wondered if there was anything special about the implementation of USB in the BDP?  There seems to be quite fashion for having "audiophile" usb cards amongst computer audio devotees and I guess when the BDP 1USB comes out (I couldn't wait..) some potential customers will ask about the USB implementation compared to say a SoTM USB card.

Perhaps a welcome addition to MM would be the ability to configure individual usb ports - i.e. to turn off power if a device that draws no power (the Hugo for example) was attached (just as the SoTM card allows).

Whilst I can't say I've found it an improvement to date when using JRiver, I could imagine that a software option to upsample would also increase the attraction of the BDP in some circles - especially PCM to DSD.     

janerik

« Reply #1049 on: 28 Apr 2015, 03:55 pm »
Our review of the BDP-1USB is now up on the Bryston web site :

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2015_03_Review_BDP1_USB.pdf

My MacBookPro & Audirvana has just been trounced !

Jan-Erik Nordoen
Magazine Son & Image

doveman

« Reply #1050 on: 9 May 2015, 12:19 am »
I have just noticed some odd behaviour from my BDP-1.

Lately I have been having bad TV reception (digital tv) but couldn't quite work out why as I haven't really had problems before but by chance I just noticed the reception goes bad as soon as my BDP-1 is playing.

The BDP-1 sits on a shelf below my tv with other media and hifi gear and causes no interference if off or on but not playing, but as soon as a song is playing the tv goes bad? I have an indoor tv antenna that is about 6 feet from the BDP-1.

Any ideas? perhaps the BDP-1 is emitting some EMF waves while playing? the BDP-1 feeds into BDA-2 via AES/EBU, when using the BDA-2 with my PVR or bluray no problems occur.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1051 on: 25 Feb 2016, 04:40 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Model T ON-WALL Speakers

February 2016

Hi Folks,

Great review on the Bryston BDP-1 USB Digital Player and BDA-2 DAC.

Favourite Quote:

"In fact, I'll go so far to say as the BDP-1/USB-BDA-2 combo produced the very best digital sound I've ever heard in my home system - and that's from a personal digital-audio history going back to the mid-1980s."

Ron Goldberg

LINK:
http://hiresaudiocentral.com/hrac-exclusive-gear-review-bryston-bdp-digital-audio-player/

James Tanner
V/P Bryston

Nuz1

« Reply #1052 on: 25 Feb 2016, 07:02 pm »
James,

Will you be exhibiting at AXPONA in Chicago this April?    I don't have a dealer in the area and would like to see the BDP-2 in action.

Thanks,

Bruce

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1053 on: 25 Feb 2016, 07:09 pm »
James,

Will you be exhibiting at AXPONA in Chicago this April?    I don't have a dealer in the area and would like to see the BDP-2 in action.

Thanks,

Bruce

Hi Bruce

No I am sorry we will not be at Axpona - we will be in Montreal in March.

Where are you located?

james

Nuz1

« Reply #1054 on: 25 Feb 2016, 07:18 pm »
Iowa.   But I am willing to road trip. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1055 on: 25 Feb 2016, 07:26 pm »
Iowa.   But I am willing to road trip.

OK please email Gary and see if he can help with a closer dealer.

gdayton@bryston.com

james

Nuz1

« Reply #1056 on: 25 Feb 2016, 08:07 pm »
Email sent.  Thanks for the quick response!