Bryston BDA-3.14 dongle problems....

mrterence

Bryston BDA-3.14 dongle problems....
« on: 5 Nov 2023, 12:03 pm »
Hi, I just bought a new Bryston BDA-3.14 DAC streamer, and can't get the streamer working.

The tp-link AX1800 wireless USB adapter I've tried to use to set up a network connection doesn't create the hot-spot Bryston describe in their manual - the USB light on the front of the BDA-3.14 stays red, and the pilot light on the AX1800 does not light.

Do I need to use Bryston's own wi-fi dongle for the streamer to work? Or will another USB wi-fi dongle do? I'm in the UK, and sourcing Bryston products is difficult....

I'd be really grateful for any guidance forum members can offer on this!

With thanks, Terence.

abk456

Re: Bryston BDA-3.14 dongle problems....
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2023, 06:30 pm »
Hi
Could it be that your antenna draws too much current? The limit on all the USB inputs is 2A (see page 13 of the manual)

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2023, 06:48 pm »
I've generally used Wi-Fi extenders (or routers) that are plugged into the AC outlet and run an Ethernet cable to the device, instead of Wi-Fi USB adapters. Then use Wi-Fi based streaming (AirPlay, Roon, whatever) to send music.

But, I think if you've managed to set up the BDA-3.14 with a Wi-Fi USB adapter into one of the USB-A ports labeled USB Accessory, then you want the selected input to be STREAMING, not USB. (USB 1 and USB 2 are for the two USB-B ports labeled USB Audio).

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2023, 01:03 pm »
tp-link AX1800

There won't be any support in the firmware for anything remotely that new.  Depending on the unit you have the newest wireless tech that should be supported would be 802.11n, maybe 802.11ac.  Also not all wireless chipsets are supported, so you may end up buying a wifi adapter that doesn't have any linux support.  You may want to consider some sort of wired alternative like a mesh solution, powerline av kit or wireless bridge.

mrterence

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2023, 05:41 pm »
Thank you for all this advice! Much appreciated.