BDP2 vs Pi

jobiwon

BDP2 vs Pi
« on: 14 Jul 2023, 04:00 pm »
Got a Pi but was wondering what the difference is internally with the BDP2 vs the Pi.  Basically with SQ?

update: found another thread on  BDP2 vs Pi but it didn't have a lot of meat so leaving this question out there.

R. Daneel

Re: BDP2 vs Pi
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2023, 10:30 am »
Got a Pi but was wondering what the difference is internally with the BDP2 vs the Pi.  Basically with SQ?

update: found another thread on  BDP2 vs Pi but it didn't have a lot of meat so leaving this question out there.

Hi! The differences inside are plenty – BDP-2 uses an Intel-based board for processing, either an ESI Juli@ or Bryston’s own board (so-called IAD or BUC board) for audio and a custom built 5A linear PSU based around a single toroid, whereas the BDP-Pi is based on a Pi board and if I’m not mistaken, an off-the-shelf daughter-board for audio that’s meant to work with Raspberry boards. Both perform the same function but BDP-2 likely does that to a higher standard when it comes to conventional (electrical) digital outputs. They’re probably the same when using a USB output.

To the best of my knowledge, providing BDP-2 is equipped with the newer IAD audio board instead of the ESI board (which in itself is a marginal difference at best – had both side by side and perfomed many A/B blind tests with my own recordings), the BDP-2 and BDP-3 are essentially the same machine. The latter has a newer CPU and more RAM so it’s a faster ‘computer’ but the audio board and PSU are the same.

How much of a difference between a BDP-2 or -3 and a BDP-Pi you will hear depends entirely on you. I wouldn’t lose sleep over it though and far bigger differences can be achieved elsewhere in the chain and for a lot less money, I might add. I still own a modified Pioneer DVD player (inspired by the Lampizator site – back then it was nothing but an enthusiast’s site, now they make some very expensive stuff) and it sounds as good as the BDP.

Cheers,
Antun

jobiwon

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2023, 09:57 pm »
Hi! The differences inside are plenty – BDP-2 uses an Intel-based board for processing, either an ESI Juli@ or Bryston’s own board (so-called IAD or BUC board) for audio and a custom built 5A linear PSU based around a single toroid, whereas the BDP-Pi is based on a Pi board and if I’m not mistaken, an off-the-shelf daughter-board for audio that’s meant to work with Raspberry boards. Both perform the same function but BDP-2 likely does that to a higher standard when it comes to conventional (electrical) digital outputs. They’re probably the same when using a USB output.

To the best of my knowledge, providing BDP-2 is equipped with the newer IAD audio board instead of the ESI board (which in itself is a marginal difference at best – had both side by side and perfomed many A/B blind tests with my own recordings), the BDP-2 and BDP-3 are essentially the same machine. The latter has a newer CPU and more RAM so it’s a faster ‘computer’ but the audio board and PSU are the same.

How much of a difference between a BDP-2 or -3 and a BDP-Pi you will hear depends entirely on you. I wouldn’t lose sleep over it though and far bigger differences can be achieved elsewhere in the chain and for a lot less money, I might add. I still own a modified Pioneer DVD player (inspired by the Lampizator site – back then it was nothing but an enthusiast’s site, now they make some very expensive stuff) and it sounds as good as the BDP.

Cheers,
Antun

Thank You

vonnie123

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2023, 09:36 pm »
You would definitely want the BDP-2 with the in house IAD (not the initial juli card version) Some of the earlier BDP-2 units were upgraded, but anything mid to late 2015 should have the factory IAD installed by Bryston at manufacturing.  The BDP-2 is supposed to be very close performance wise to the BDP-3.  The BDP-3 has a faster proceessor.  I considered upgrading one of my BDP-2s to a 3, but haven’t found the need to upgrade the device.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2023, 04:00 pm »
You would definitely want the BDP-2 with the in house IAD (not the initial juli card version) Some of the earlier BDP-2 units were upgraded, but anything mid to late 2015 should have the factory IAD installed by Bryston at manufacturing.  The BDP-2 is supposed to be very close performance wise to the BDP-3.  The BDP-3 has a faster proceessor.  I considered upgrading one of my BDP-2s to a 3, but haven’t found the need to upgrade the device.

I think something like 2/3 to 3/4 of BDP-2's with Juia@ cards received IAD upgrades (I think at $600 all lot of customer were like why not), also I think we still sell them so if you do come across a BDP-2 without the IAD get in contact with our service desk for availability and a quote.