Selecting an amp for my Omega Super 3XRS. Crown XLS-2000 or modified TPA-3116?

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
I am getting some Omega Super 3XRS's soon, with built in active subs. I sold my Pioneer Integrated Amp and am now looking at options for amplification. The two I have really narrowed it down to are the Crown XLS-2000 or a modified TPA-3116 from FleaWatt. Both are about the same price.  I also plan on using this system as a multimedia system. So not just two channel music but home theater, sports, gaming and so on. Don't know if anyone has used TPA-3116's for a home theater application. Thanks for the help.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Hard to say... one advantage the Crown has is a built-in high pass crossover which helps a lot at higher volumes with bass-heavy music. It will allow the speakers to play at higher volumes with better clarity, less IMD (inter-modulation distortion).  And it makes a good sub amp, so in the future if you upgrade you can re-purpose it for subwoofer duties.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Hard to say... one advantage the Crown has is a built-in high pass crossover which helps a lot at higher volumes with bass-heavy music. It will allow the speakers to play at higher volumes with better clarity, less IMD (inter-modulation distortion).  And it makes a good sub amp, so in the future if you upgrade you can re-purpose it for subwoofer duties.

What would you set the high pass crossover to?

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Also, if I do go the TPA-3116 route, would I be able to use just one of the channels to power a center channel speaker?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
What would you set the high pass crossover to?

I set mine to 50 Hz. It's a 24 dB/oct filter so it rolls the bass off very quickly. The goal is to avoid sending the speakers a signal below the tuning frequency of the enclosure, at these frequencies the enclosure does little to nothing to control the motion of the cone. At frequencies above the port tuning the cone motion is very well controlled... this is the big advantage of a ported box, the cone excursion is far less than a comparable sealed box.

The 50 Hz xo point makes integration with a sub very easy and you would not believe how much sound those little drivers will put out with the high pass engaged. Even without xo they do very well for their size but with the xo the SPLs you can achieve are absolutely amazing.

I did re-build my EL34 SET and with the new configuration it's a good bit better than the Crown, but it's still not night and day... the Crown is pretty amazing for a couple hundred bucks!

You will want to order Pomona tellurium copper binding posts though, they bolt-in without soldering and make a big improvement in terms of added grain. The Crown is not perfect in this area and it's mostly the connectors/jacks doing the damage.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
I set mine to 50 Hz. It's a 24 dB/oct filter so it rolls the bass off very quickly. The goal is to avoid sending the speakers a signal below the tuning frequency of the enclosure, at these frequencies the enclosure does little to nothing to control the motion of the cone. At frequencies above the port tuning the cone motion is very well controlled... this is the big advantage of a ported box, the cone excursion is far less than a comparable sealed box.

The 50 Hz xo point makes integration with a sub very easy and you would not believe how much sound those little drivers will put out with the high pass engaged. Even without xo they do very well for their size but with the xo the SPLs you can achieve are absolutely amazing.

I did re-build my EL34 SET and with the new configuration it's a good bit better than the Crown, but it's still not night and day... the Crown is pretty amazing for a couple hundred bucks!

You will want to order Pomona tellurium copper binding posts though, they bolt-in without soldering and make a big improvement in terms of added grain. The Crown is not perfect in this area and it's mostly the connectors/jacks doing the damage.

You are really convincing me to purchase the Crown.  :D

What speakers do you have?

And where do I get Pomona tellurium copper binding posts? And as long as they are pretty simple to install, I am not an upgrader/DIY'er.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
I have the Super 3 XRS, I run them with a 10" sub. You can get the Pomona posts at Mouser or any large electronics seller, they are very common. Get the tellurium copper ones with gold plating...

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
I have the Super 3 XRS, I run them with a 10" sub. You can get the Pomona posts at Mouser or any large electronics seller, they are very common. Get the tellurium copper ones with gold plating...

I will have the Super 3XRS's with built in 8 inch subs. Are they easy to swap out?

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!

Is this what I need?

http://www.mouser.com/Test-Measurement/Test-Equipment-Accessories/Test-Plugs-Test-Jacks/_/N-7wzqn?Keyword=Pomona+posts+tellurium+copper&FS=True

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
I will have the Super 3XRS's with built in 8 inch subs. Are they easy to swap out?

Do the 8" subs get the signal from the amp or are there RCA/XLR inputs? If the 8" subs get their signal from the amp then a high pass crossover would not work out very well...

The Pomona posts are very easy to swap out. Looks like the price has gone up, before they were $1 less each...

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Do the 8" subs get the signal from the amp or are there RCA/XLR inputs? If the 8" subs get their signal from the amp then a high pass crossover would not work out very well...

The Pomona posts are very easy to swap out. Looks like the price has gone up, before they were $1 less each...

I am not really sure? Will check with Louis.

Could I just disable the high pass filter?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Of course, it's bypass-able. I'd guess the plate amp that drives the 8" subs can take either input but since it's integrated into the speaker it's worth checking. It's likely that jumpers from the binding posts to the plate amp are required but it's probably also possible to use RCA or XLR inputs from a preamp, that would be the only way high-passing the amp would work out, otherwise it'll high-pass the sub too, which is sort of counterproductive. ;)

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Of course, it's bypass-able. I'd guess the plate amp that drives the 8" subs can take either input but since it's integrated into the speaker it's worth checking. It's likely that jumpers from the binding posts to the plate amp are required but it's probably also possible to use RCA or XLR inputs from a preamp, that would be the only way high-passing the amp would work out, otherwise it'll high-pass the sub too, which is sort of counterproductive. ;)

Yeah, would kind of defeat the purpose of having a sub in the first place.  :)

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
This amp looks like a good buy, and I think somewhere I saw a review on it where it was compared to the original NAD 3020 and considered superior in some ways.  https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/mini-x-100

Awhile back I hooked up an old Onkyo 7040 to a pair of Super 3Ts and the bottom end was like I have never heard from an RS5 driver.  Good class A/B and MOSFET can do wonders with Omega speakers.

The Temple Audio Bantam Gold Class D is also killer sounding with Omega.

Another amp I've had good success with is the UK built (2005) Creek A50i with MOSFET outputs.  I know where there is a stash of them new in the box.  These amps are classics by any sense of the word.

My 2 cents CAD worth (1.27 USD)

happyrabbit

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!

I ended up going with a FleaWatt TPA 3116. Hope it is a great mate for the Omega's.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Nice looking amp.  My guess is it will sound really good with the Omegas.  :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
I built a TPA 3116 and have used it with my Omegas. It's very quite, sounds good, has plenty of power and the price was right. :)

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Yeah, I am real excited about my purchase. Can't wait to get it, should have it by Saturday. Derek over at Fleawatt was awesome to talk to and it looks like he takes a lot of pride and building a quality amp. He told me that is has a lot of SET amp qualities that I will really enjoy. Now I just need my Omega's! LOL  :D
Louis is hard at work on them.  :D

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!

Another amp I've had good success with is the UK built (2005) Creek A50i with MOSFET outputs.  I know where there is a stash of them new in the box.  These amps are classics by any sense of the word.

My 2 cents CAD worth (1.27 USD)

Is this the amp of which you speak of? http://www.stereophile.com/content/creek-evolution-50a-integrated-amplifier#go3OQtz4DqCZG6jk.97