I could not be more pissed right now

ABEX

« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2004, 08:52 pm »
Just another example of UPS handling of things. I use US Mail whenever possible and send things for free.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2004, 11:10 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
You would see a drastic reduction in UPS claims if the amount paid in claims was deducted out of their pensions.

Sad, but truth

randog

« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2004, 11:14 pm »
Quote from: byteme
The thing that amazes me the most is that the crossovers, (yes, the are HUGE) are held on to the bottom of the speaker by 4 zip ties.  Three are about 3/8 inch or so wide and rather hefty.  In BOTH speakers they were torn free from the ties and floating around inside.  In one case it also ripped the connection out of the platinum plated WBT connector.

Do you have any idea how you'd have to handle these boxes in order for that to happen?  4 zip ties!  Those things are such SOBs that when you WANT to try a ...

First off, I want to say I feel for you man. The same thing happened when my 1801's were shipped to me.

WRT the zip ties, it depends. If they go through holes on the crossover board, they can break quite easily. With a jolt, the sharp edge acts like a knife and pops 'em pretty good. They are designed as cable ties... i.e: no sharp edges. When used in this fashion, they are truly a bitch to break.

Randog

randog

« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2004, 10:11 pm »
My post above does not reflect my feelings on UPS. Those b@stards are way too rough on packages. With eBay alone their business has soared and I'm tired of flipping a coin as to whether my packages will make it safely. Klaus, I know you use UPS pretty exclusively and I'm sure you've seen dozens of your goods damaged. Dontcha ever want to give them the boot?

I don't know how much it cost to send those speakers and who picks up the tab for shipping (I believe even though UPS will pay a damage claim, they don't reimburse shipping, do they?)... and for that matter who pays for shipping back to you... I'm guessing everybody gets screwed for part of it.

For the Lorelie's, what else could you do... crate them and send them through an independent trucking company? For the quantity sold it could be worth the effort and additional cost.

Randog

byteme

« Reply #24 on: 24 Feb 2004, 10:44 pm »
First, the ties do go through holes, however they broke at various places and in no case was it by where they come through that wood bottom.

As you can see, it varied all over where they broke.  UPS is collecting them sometime this week to examine the damage themselves.  Klaus is readying another pair for me.  As you would expect, Klaus has lived up to his very lofty and well deserved reputation when it comes to customer service.  He did mention, that while using UPS pretty much exclusively this is only the second issue with damage to a pair of Lorelei.  Fortunately it was my pair  :bawl:  and fortunately it was both speakers in the pair....

This picture makes me think of Something About Mary ...

"Damn boy, how'd you get the beans above the frank??"

rosconey

« Reply #25 on: 24 Feb 2004, 10:47 pm »
yeh but its better than getting a product that is defective a week or two after you start to like it :o
better to not have listened than get a taste :mrgreen:

audioslave

damn!
« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2004, 03:43 am »
That pic was just plain painful to look at. :cry:  I myself had the pleasure of dealing with UPS last week when my tempest arrived. Unfortunately, it too did not make it unscathed. The phone grounding plug was broken and just hanging by the screw thread. Klaus genereously offered to fix it but since I do not use phono, I said I would just live with it for awhile as is. The anticipation of getting the preamp was too great to just turn around and send it back. I am currently breaking it in as we speak and I definitely NOT dissapointed with its performance. Hang in there as you will most certainly be rewarded with the fruit of your patience  in the very near future!

Pirate

« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:25 pm »
Its time to set up a sacrifice to the UPS gods. You must build an alter and sacrifice an old Yamaha or Sony reciever. :lol:

KJ

« Reply #28 on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:49 pm »
byteme,

When you do get things taken care of I'd love to hear your new setup if you don't mind.  Hope you get things resolved quickly.  Guess that's one of the many reasons to find a product that is backed up with great service.  Makes me nervous to ship anything even slightly valuable.

-KJ

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2004, 12:15 am »
Correct,  I like to use UPS for several reasons,  one of which is to save my customers $$$.   Over the past 2-3 years we've had more than satisfying results with them.  However,  I checked,  an in the past 3 months +  or so we have had 6 incidents with them.  That's more than in the whole previous 1  1/2  years ogether !!!!!

Something is up here and I'm not so sure that it's not here at the distribution center in Indy.  Our driver himself is awesome,  and it's definitely not him.   I'll get with the supervisor and check on my end,  but as for Brian's replacement pair next week   NOPE.  We'll meet halfway and I'll hand deliver them to him.  

Late,

Klaus

blue

« Reply #30 on: 27 Feb 2004, 01:42 am »
A good friend of mine used to work at UPS years ago.  His job was transferring packages from one truck to another.  The metric they were measured on for job performance...  package throughput (how many packages they could move per hour).

That metric alone (if it is still how they are measured) speaks volumes for a companies approach to quality.

randog

« Reply #31 on: 27 Feb 2004, 02:08 am »
I worked for them for a couple of days around 1980 loading trucks right out of high school. They had a dock where the supervisor would walk the plank yelling at everyone. We had to *average* a box every 2 seconds from the conveyor to the truck ramp during our complete shift.

I quit and went back to my drafting job. 16 years later I started my own product design business... where would I be if I stuck it out with UPS...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #32 on: 27 Feb 2004, 04:24 am »
I've talked to many UPS drivers in the area of NYC where I work. They complain about their boss's....and the company...just pushing for quick deliveries- speed- not package handling. The number of deliveries has grown so large, it's no wonder things get smashed around !

byteme

« Reply #33 on: 27 Feb 2004, 12:15 pm »
Amazingly, or not, I sold a pair of speakers to someone in Ft. Wayne IN.  They were shipped from Chicago, via UPS.  A pair of Energy C-7's.  You'll probably not find this very hard to believe, but BOTH boxes looked like hell, there were holes in each, both speakers have scratches and corner damage.  Also, in both cases, the foam around the speakers was all broken into pieces.  So, now, basically I'm dealing with UPS on two beat to hell pairs of speakers.  Thanks UPS!

rosconey

« Reply #34 on: 27 Feb 2004, 01:01 pm »
i heard the convayer belts have drops of 15 feet - :o
i bought some michaura towers off ubid a few years ago and the boxes looked unreal so much crushing had been done.i never got to hear them.