Finally, my SongTower's!

Nuance

Re: Finally, my SongTower's!
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2009, 05:09 pm »
:(  Bummer.  Sorry to hear about your hectic experience.  My parents have had that happen in their basement a few times.  And, of course, that's the only place they keep their audio gear.  Fortunately nothing was damaged, but they need to consistently run a de-humidifier down there.  If you don't have one yet, you might want to invest. 

Hope everything pans out okay.

earthbound

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2009, 09:22 pm »
So it was emergency time to unhook all of my gear as fast as possible and move it to higher ground. I moved my SongTower's and SongSub to the landing on the stairway leading down to the basement. I moved everything else to the top of the couch.

Luckily, only a few spots of our carpet got wet, but it might be ruined.

The only thing I'm nervous about now is the humidity in my basement with my speakers down there. It's not that humid down there, but I didn't even think to cover the drivers as their paper. The speakers still have the grill on, so that should provide some amount of protection.

Good thing you woke up and saved your gear! This is what worries me about turning my large basement into a listening/home theater room. If the power goes out during the spring and summer months my basement could flood. I also run a dehumidifier (summer months only) that drains to the sump, but it sure is loud! Definitely get one though.

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jun 2009, 04:09 am »
I just got a dehumidifier today and I can't believe how much moisture it's pulled out of the air in just 5 hours. I'm really glad I got one. It is a little loud, but well worth the cost/noise if it helps save my gear from corroding over time. Not to mention, I could always turn it off during times of critical listening/movie watching.

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jul 2009, 02:21 am »
OK, so it's about a month later and I finally got everything back up and running. I almost cried when I heard my speakers again, they were better than I remembered! I'm always amazed at the clarity of these speakers.

biz97

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jul 2009, 03:24 am »
Wow,

I am glad everything worked out.  Enjoy your system and hopefully you won't have anymore interruptions  :thumb:

vintagebob

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jul 2009, 05:19 am »
Yeah!  Good to hear that you're back in business.   :green:

Nuance

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jul 2009, 07:02 pm »
Heyo - back in shape.  Good to hear man.  Enjoy!

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jul 2009, 01:01 pm »
I finally put up the SongSurround's last night using the B-Tech BT77 mount. It seems like it holds the SongSurround's very well. I didn't want to drill into the speaker, so right now it's only only the clamp is holding the speakers in place. I'm a little nervous, as I have the speakers tilted downward. I did tighten the bottom clamp pretty much as tight as I could make it, so I don't think the speakers are going to go anywhere. However, I think I'm going get a black nylon strap to wrap around the speaker & mount together, for a little extra security. I'm paranoid, and I REALLY don't want these speakers falling off of their mount.

As for the sound, it was pretty awesome. This is the first time I've ever had surround sound. Watching a movie was a completely new experience. Now I just need to watch something with a lot of really good surround effects.

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jul 2009, 01:38 pm »
Perhaps a little update is in order.

I don't see too much comment on the SongSub, so I decided to write just a few comments.

When I received the SongSub, it took me a while to get it placed correctly and dialed in. It had more controls than I am used too, so it took a while to figure out how to use them. I still haven't attempted to use the PEQ and I believe I have it disabled.

For music, I am amazed at the speed and clarity of the SongSub. It blends together so well with the SongTower's that I often forget it's there. It really is a perfect match.

Since I don't crank my music as loud anymore, I never got a great sense for just how powerful the SongSub could be... until yesterday. My wife and I decided to rent Kung Fu Panda as I read it contained some good low material. Also, I enjoy animated movies (I suppose I'm still a kid at heart). During one scene towards the end of the movie, the SongSub rattled my house. So much so that my wife said, "Is that bad for the foundation?". I had to rewind it and watch it again. The impact was amazing.

I would highly recommend the SongSub for anyone who is looking for a new subwoofer. The price is hard to beat and the performance is top notch.

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 20 Jul 2009, 06:09 pm »
Kung Fu Panda has some nice bass, I have played around with that one with my M&K sub in my HT.

Bolt has some good low frequency stuff too, if you like animated flicks.

Glad you are enjoying your gear!

Nuance

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jul 2009, 07:55 pm »
Thanks for the update!  I've read nothing but good things about the SongSub since the final revision started shipping.  I hope they'll make a 15" soon. 

silent_Freak18

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jan 2010, 08:00 am »
So, it is good to hear that your dehumidifier saves the day. A songsub like yours is worth investing and should really be protected against humid. Well, that is if you really want to maintain how good the sound is which I am sure you do. Basement Dehumidifier

« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2010, 07:27 am by silent_Freak18 »

Caustic Casey

• "All government, of course, is against liberty.."
    • causticcasey.com
« Reply #32 on: 5 Jan 2010, 04:24 pm »
Perhaps a little update is in order.

I don't see too much comment on the SongSub, so I decided to write just a few comments.

When I received the SongSub, it took me a while to get it placed correctly and dialed in. It had more controls than I am used too, so it took a while to figure out how to use them. I still haven't attempted to use the PEQ and I believe I have it disabled.

For music, I am amazed at the speed and clarity of the SongSub. It blends together so well with the SongTower's that I often forget it's there. It really is a perfect match.

Since I don't crank my music as loud anymore, I never got a great sense for just how powerful the SongSub could be... until yesterday. My wife and I decided to rent Kung Fu Panda as I read it contained some good low material. Also, I enjoy animated movies (I suppose I'm still a kid at heart). During one scene towards the end of the movie, the SongSub rattled my house. So much so that my wife said, "Is that bad for the foundation?". I had to rewind it and watch it again. The impact was amazing.

I would highly recommend the SongSub for anyone who is looking for a new subwoofer. The price is hard to beat and the performance is top notch.

That's some enticing information... the Sub is going to be my next puchase, I love bass!
Like I said, ST's should arrive tomorrow....

Sonix

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jan 2010, 12:48 pm »
Sorry to hear about the flood. Hope things get back to normal soon.

Thanks for the great snapshots. From all the deep glossy reflections
I would have guessed you upgraded to the Hand-rubbed, high-gloss
piano lacquer finish.

Have you noticed any glare from your TV during low light viewing?
I am thinking your satin black would be great in a HT setting.

They must look even nicer in person. But you gotta love the sound! :drool:

Thank You Very Much!

Ken

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jan 2010, 02:31 pm »
Sorry to hear about the flood. Hope things get back to normal soon.

Thanks for the great snapshots. From all the deep glossy reflections
I would have guessed you upgraded to the Hand-rubbed, high-gloss
piano lacquer finish.

Have you noticed any glare from your TV during low light viewing?
I am thinking your satin black would be great in a HT setting.

They must look even nicer in person. But you gotta love the sound! :drool:

Thank You Very Much!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Things have been back to normal for a while, luckily, the food did no major damage. It was just a pain moving things in/out so I could dry the basement with fans + dehumidifier.

As far as reflections go, I haven't really noticed. I'm certainly not distracted when watching TV in low-light conditions, but I can't say the reflections aren't there. I can try tonight.

As far as the satin black goes, they blew my expectations away. I don't know what I was expecting "satin black" to be, but I certainly didn't expect what I received. They are simply gorgeous.