Maggie 1.6qrs vs Salk SongTowers

speedowa

Maggie 1.6qrs vs Salk SongTowers
« on: 19 May 2008, 04:25 am »
So... I must admit that I just learned about Salk this weekend, and I have been reading as much as I can about them on AudioCircle as well as avs.  I really enjoyed speakerquest and perfect speaker threads by Nuance and funkeymonkey, who have extensively auditioned some of the more popular choices in the $2000 speaker range with far better descriptions and accounts that I could ever come up with.  And yet, throughout, I really haven't heard too much comparison between the Salks and Maggies (ST vs 1.6QR, or HT3 vs 3.6), although they were mentioned in the OP of Nuance's speaker thread on avs.

I realize that the FR of the Salks pretty much take the Maggies by a wide margin (if they even have measurements), but I've always loved Maggies since I first listened to them at a great audio store.  But there is a coherence, warmth, and musicality about Maggies with vocals that makes the music I love come to life. 

So for those members, like brett11, who have owned Maggies in the past, or those who have auditioned them, can I expect similar 'Maggie' attributes to come through with the SongTowers without sacrificing off-axis and placement issues?  I will be driving these next pair of speakers (in a ht setup as well) with a Halo a51, so power issues with the Maggies, or the Salks, shouldn't be a major concern.

Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated - thanks for the positive atmosphere around this forum.  Cheers!

Big Red Machine

Re: Maggie 1.6qrs vs Salk SongTowers
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2008, 11:38 am »
Having owned Acoustat 3300's for years I can relate to the vocals and midrange through top end experience with electrostatics.  I always augmented them with stereo subs because, well, you know why.  You'll get a much more dynamic, powerful music experience with the HT3's.  Bass is certainly fulfilling and only the biggest bass hogs would ever consider a sub with these.  I continue to find out how the speaker just keeps giving and giving.  I think I reach a limit and the speaker keeps on wanting more because it can do more.

The G2 ribbon is addictng as well.  It gives a more "real" triangle sound than I believe any panel is capable of in my experience.  All in all going to a "box" speaker is a different experience that you may not be ready for but the HT3 is capabale of so much I haven't found anything under $14,000 that begins to compete with it.  A very balanced speaker all around.

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2008, 12:35 pm »
But there is a coherence, warmth, and musicality about Maggies with vocals that makes the music I love come to life.

Vocals, with the SongTowers, are much better than with the Maggies.  They are clearer and have a warmth and musical bloom, to the voice, that the Maggies can't match.  They also image much better and are easier to place in a room.

The HT3's are even clearer and have a sound that makes you think you are in the recording studio listening to the singers live.   Like with live music, the HT3's are exciting to listen too.   The HT3's don't have the bloom that the SongTowers have with the voice, but the realism and excitement is more than a fair tradeoff for me.  aa

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2008, 01:03 pm »
I believe the original question just dealt with the Song Towers, and there seemed to be something like a $2,000 limit.  But if not, the sound of the new (nameless) dipole speaker may be closer to the Maggies.  So if you can swing $4000, they are certainly worth consideration. 

AliG

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2008, 01:11 pm »
I haven't found anything under $14,000 that begins to compete with it. 

Have you found anything under $40,000 that sounds better?? aa aa

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2008, 03:24 pm »

Vandy 5A's

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2008, 03:55 pm »

Vandy 5A's

George

Nice segweigh(sp) but you forgot this
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1216219698 :lol:

I purposely didn't add that.

Anybody who reads my posts knows that I felt the 5A's were an improvement over the HT3's.

That being said, the HT3's are a better value.

Can't go wrong with either one.

George

AliG

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2008, 04:02 pm »
 :lol:

I was just teasing BigRedMachine knowing that he's a Salk fanboy.

Subjectively, I think the HT3 is the best speaker out there for my money. I have listened to many speakers up to $40k at homes/stores/shows (The list include Vandy 5A, Evolution Acoustic MM3, Legacy Whisper & Helix, Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 8, JM Lab Nova Utopia, Joseph Audio Pearl, Egglestonworks Savoy, MBL 101E, Soundlab A-1PX, Von Schweikert VR-4 and etc etc the list goes on) - none of these lighted my fire to the point where I can say they are "better". Perhaps they are indeed "better" speakers than the HT3 based on specs, perhaps if I have one of those at home I could have made them sound better than my HT3, but I could only compare how the entire system sounded as a whole and my conclusions were that I wouldn't swap what I currently have for those mega-bucks systems that cost 6 to 7 times more. Hence, for the past two years since I owned the HT3, most of the times I ended up leaving an audition with a big smile on my face knowing that I have made the right decision on the HT3. Except one brand - Acapella, which I'm currently saving up for. :wink:

Of course, there are people who came to my home and didn't like my type of sound, but that doesn't mean that the HT3 is no good, it's just like some prefer Cuban cigars and some like Columbian.

Objectively, well  :scratch:, when do we audiophiles ever agree on anything? :lol: :lol:

Vandy 5A's

George
« Last Edit: 19 May 2008, 05:02 pm by AliG »

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2008, 05:08 pm »
I don't know if he has mentioned it in public, but Jim once mentioned to me that Zybar was instrumental in helping Salk Signature Sound get visibility when it was a relatively  new company.  Zybar got a pair of HT3's for a NY Rave he held and then posted about here on AC.  That was more than 3 years ago:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=17011.0

I don't think Salk owners should have any problems with Zybar...they probably owe him a Thank You or two for helping bring Salk speakers to our attention.

Thanks Rob.

While I no longer have HT3's, I will always be friendly with Jim and will continue to recommend his products (I did that three times this past weekend when people saw my for sale ad, but couldn't afford the asking price, yet were looking for something close in performance).

I do own three SongTowers and use them behind my screen for HT.  In this role they are dynamic, clear, and really do a good job portraying what is on the newer, high res formats.   :thumb:

Back to the subject of the thread...I would go with the ST's for a few reasons:

1.  More dynamic, with better weight and heft.
2.  Better clarity, especially in the midrange
3.  Easier to drive
4.  Easier to place in a room

George
« Last Edit: 19 May 2008, 05:29 pm by zybar »

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2008, 05:26 pm »
Like Zybar, I love the Vandersteen 5A's.  They are the best speaker I've heard, period.  Of course, I've never heard the HT3's or the new open baffle Portal's (shameless plug, I know :)). 

On to the Song Tower's - the midrange detail is superior to the Maggies, IMO.  The Maggies are lush, but the ST's are real and large in the mids department.  The ST's also image a lot better off axis...I mean a LOT!  Finally, the ST's should be easier to drive and place.

My vote goes to the ST's, but as you know, I'm a little bias.   :lol:

Best wishes to you in your search, speedowa!  And thank you for the kind words. 

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2008, 06:53 pm »
Just cause I think it needs to be said, you may want to go outside of a Salk forum in order to find more objective viewpoints on this comparison ;)  Better yet, find someone who owns a pair of Salks local to you so that you can listen, and then go spend some time with the Maggies. I don't think you're going to find many people in this forum who will say, "oh, yeah, the Maggies are better for sure!" lol

speedowa

Many thanks!
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2008, 02:45 am »
Thank you for the replies - it's good to hear what owners of Salk have to say, esp. regarding the mid-range.  From the reading, it seems like the off-axis listening is great, and really great compared to the finicky Maggies.

I am surprised to hear that the dynamics are subjectively considered better, but that may be due to the smaller 5" driver and TL bass as opposed to the planar vibrations of the Maggies.  I was really starting to get excited after reading that fsimms thinks the vocals are better than Maggies.  However, it's also interesting to read that the HT3's are different and don't have the 'bloom' as fsimms stated.  Before reading that, I was thinking that I may need to save a bit more (anyone want to donate their economic stimulus check?) for the HT3's!

Well, I'll have to track down some ST's or some HT3's when I'm in a bigger city to audition them.  I'll keep you updated, but it seems the Salk's have a once and future audition date before I decide to pursue my childhood dream of owning some beautiful Maggies or custom wood veneered Salk's.  It's a tough life shopping for speakers - the possibilities make for some nice dreams!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2008, 12:45 pm »
If you let us know where you are someone will step up if they are close.

speedowa

« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2008, 05:24 am »
Thanks Big Red for the hospitality - I definitely like the ID community forums over here,

I have a couple of trips coming up, so I'm going to comb the audition topic and find someone close.  But if anyone's still reading this one, I'll be in Philly at the end of the month and then in Austin mid-June.  So if there's any Salk owners out there, I'd love to come by for a quick listen.

I think I read too many reviews over the weekend, and my audition list just seems to keep growing.  Time to just get out there and start listening - I remember when I started shopping for my first set of speakers, the concept of cd burning wasn't around, so I lugged around mutliple cds!  Now you can just throw it all on one cd - the joys of technology, eh?!

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2008, 01:32 pm »
Time to just get out there and start listening
That's great to hear.  It will give you a chance to decide what sound you prefer, plus it's fun!  Enjoy and happy hunting!

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2008, 11:46 am »
I just ordered a set of the new ribbon tweeter version of the SongTowers from Jim, to go along with the HT3s I already own.  A client of mine just took my original set of HT3s and I wanted a more compact speaker for my home AV system and also the ability to play both here to test my electronics.

I am looking forward for another outrageous cabinet job from Jim.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2008, 12:00 pm »
I just ordered a set of the new ribbon tweeter version of the SongTowers from Jim, to go along with the HT3s I already own.  A client of mine just took my original set of HT3s and I wanted a more compact speaker for my home AV system and also the ability to play both here to test my electronics.

I am looking forward for another outrageous cabinet job from Jim.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Ribbon tweeters on the SongTowers...how did I miss that announcement?

George

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2008, 01:22 pm »
Uh--well--I guess the cat is out of the bag, but we may have to put him or her back in because as far as I know Jim hasn't signed off on the design yet.  I did work up a prototype, but only one.  So I couldn't listen in stereo and judge imaging and soundstaging.  I think Jim was going to do that, and we also have a Beta user lined up.  If it's a go, it will be more expensive, and I know neither Jim nor I want to extract a price premium unless it's really worth it. 

godawgs5

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2008, 04:55 pm »
um...ribbon tweeter in the SongTower!?!  How much more??  How long is the beta test period?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2008, 05:13 pm »
They keep this up and the ST will be the new HT3.  Dennis, get going on that HTX man!