Name this higher efficiency speaker

jsalk

Name this higher efficiency speaker
« on: 28 Aug 2013, 09:09 pm »
We have a customer who loves to dream about new, high-end speaker designs.  He calls often to ask about this new driver or that.  And when he gets the feeling that certain drivers are worth experimenting with, he asks us to purchase them and build a test pair.  He may never take delivery of the finished product, but very much enjoys experimenting.

The Salk Silks were one of our collaborations with him.  And there have been a few which never saw the light of day.  But that is the nature of speaker design.

A while ago, he called saying that he had heard great things about Seas Exotic drivers and asked if we had ever looked at them.  I told him that we had not, that they were a bit too expensive to play with (about $3000 for a set of drivers for a pair of speakers).  But he had heard great things from others and so we ordered the drivers and built a test cabinet.

Dennis Murphy worked on the crossover and said he was really impressed with the performance of the woofer.  So we were excited enough to build some actual cabinets in anticipation of receiving the final crossover schematics.  We used some spare scraps of Brazilian rosewood left over from another project (thanks funkmonkey).

Here are some pics...

And a close-up...

The speakers are larger than they appear in the photos.  I'll post the specs shortly...

- Jim
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2013, 11:56 am by jsalk »

jsalk

Re: Name this higher efficiency speaker
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2013, 09:18 pm »
These speakers feature the 8" Seas Exotic W8 X2-08 woofer with an Alnico magnet.  The tweeters are the Seas Exotic T35 X3-06, also with an alnico magnet.

The cabinets are on the large size for a stand mounted speaker. They are 19.25" tall, 10" wide and 13.75" deep.  They weigh in at 37 pounds each.

These speakers are 90db efficient and the frequency range is 50Hz - 20kHz +/- 3db.

They might not play all that low.  But they put out a wall of sound, image very well and sound extremely fast and dynamic. For jazz and classical listeners with moderate tube power, these would sound wonderful.  Coupled with a capable, fast and musical sub, they would make a wonderful system for any music.

The downside is they are expensive.  By the time all is said and done, $6K is about the range they would end up in.  But if this is the type of speaker someone is looking for, it would certainly be hard to beat.

So name away!

- Jim

Austin08

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2013, 09:44 pm »
Congrat Jim. they look beautiful with the price and performace to match. Like people use to say "there will be a market for every good product". So how about Salk monitor SE (Seas Exotic)

johzel

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2013, 09:46 pm »
Super Silks . . . or maybe Silk SC's (supercharged)   :scratch:

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2013, 09:54 pm »
Salk Supremes or Silk Supremes

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2013, 09:54 pm »
F~ing 8's  :thumb:

chargedmr2

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2013, 10:12 pm »
Jim,

How do they sound compared to the M7s?  Or is it too early for a comparison?  They look nice! 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2013, 03:14 am »
I would just call them the Salk Exotica's .  That's pretty much what they are.   And the price is certainly exotic.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2013, 03:20 am »
Salk Itumi

(get it?)

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2013, 03:27 am »
Salk Seas

fsimms

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2013, 03:36 am »
They weigh in at 37 pounds each.

Sounds like a Salk speaker!  :lol:

Bob

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 29 Aug 2013, 03:38 am »
Salk SeX

Mudslide

« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2013, 03:58 am »
I would just call them the Salk Exotica's .  That's pretty much what they are.   And the price is certainly exotic.

Sooner or later, perhaps we should have (as much as he would hate it, though) an honorary appellation....Salk DM.   :D

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #13 on: 29 Aug 2013, 04:23 am »

Exactly what I was thinking before reading Dennis' response. Of course it does open it up to puns about the price, but how about Salk Eroica? That would give it a classical tinge.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 29 Aug 2013, 06:24 am »
Minimax

minimum size maximum sound... :green:

Gzerro

« Reply #15 on: 29 Aug 2013, 03:27 pm »
Congrat Jim. they look beautiful with the price and performace to match. Like people use to say "there will be a market for every good product". So how about Salk monitor SE (Seas Exotic)

I like this, nice and simple and similar to your other models two character designations (ST, HT, SS now SE). I would make a small change to Salk Monitor SE1 (To leave room for future tower MTM TL versions the SE-TL 8, and SERT8s with the RAAL etc).

How do you think a pair of these, coupled with a nice subwoofer or two would compare with the SS8? I have been contemplating an upgrade to the SS8s, but already have a couple of nice 15" subs you built for me. It seems alot of cost of the SS8s was put into the bottom couple of octaves that wouldn't be fully utilized.

Austin08

« Reply #16 on: 29 Aug 2013, 05:20 pm »
How do you think a pair of these, coupled with a nice subwoofer or two would compare with the SS8? I have been contemplating an upgrade to the SS8s, but already have a couple of nice 15" subs you built for me. It seems alot of cost of the SS8s was put into the bottom couple of octaves that wouldn't be fully utilized.

Different people with different application, taste and need. IMO, the M7 + sub/s is a more cost effective. Wondering if Jim has time to compare these two and give us some insight.

bummrush

« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2013, 05:28 pm »
Just beautiful.I havent had a lot of variety in my speakers but have had mmg,s and they were nice.But when it comes to it ive loved the basic 2 way.

fsimms

« Reply #18 on: 29 Aug 2013, 05:39 pm »
You have a Silk, why not a Satin or Velvet.

Bob

chargedmr2

« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2013, 10:09 pm »

I like this idea :thumb: