Anyone use Mapletree preamp with a gainclone?

nodiak

Anyone use Mapletree preamp with a gainclone?
« on: 15 May 2007, 02:44 am »
I'd be interested in any comments on how they mate. I know there are several different gainclones out there, both diy and retail. I have an Audio Sector LM3875 premium kit and I may actually build an integrated out of it soon (have had the kit a year, am threatening myself that I may get it done asap).
I have always considered the Line 2 or 4 as possible great preamps for the gc as it is likely in need of some help to flesh it out.
Thanks for any experienced responses!
Don

Berndt

Re: Anyone use Mapletree preamp with a gainclone?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2007, 10:07 pm »
I use my pre with less than stellar sources and it has the ability to add life to a ho-hum digital source.
I can only imagine it has the ability to warm up a gain clone.
What is the rest of your set-up?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2007, 11:34 pm »
I'd be interested in any comments on how they mate. I know there are several different gainclones out there, both diy and retail. I have an Audio Sector LM3875 premium kit and I may actually build an integrated out of it soon (have had the kit a year, am threatening myself that I may get it done asap).
I have always considered the Line 2 or 4 as possible great preamps for the gc as it is likely in need of some help to flesh it out.
Thanks for any experienced responses!
Don

Don,

I use an economy version of the gainclone with my Mapletree Line 3. My particular gainclone is rated 100A@4 ohms and it has plenty of power for my Omega Bipoles which are 96db@4ohms. You're right that the tube pre adds to the sound quality and I imagine that your Audio Sector will sound better than my 'clones. I rotate the gc in and out of my system and use it for backup. It is also fun to tube roll the Mapletree. :) I also have a Hot Glass Audio refurbished Scott integrated. :roll:

Raj

nodiak

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2007, 11:43 pm »
Hi Berndt, I'm curious what amps you tried with your mapletree. I hope to soon build a gc kit I bought last year from Audiosector.
I have a gc built by someone else from a chipamp kit. I tried a Decware zsla1 and a Minimax pre with it, both worked well and sounded good. But I wanted a bit more sweetness and body, always thought the Mapletree would be more satisfying.
Currently I'm using a Scott 222c, RedWine iMod, Hawthorne Silver Iris, Rythmik sub. Sounds great. But I'm getting the itch to try something else amp/pre wise. Might sell the Scott and get a tube pre for the Audiosector gc. At the pondering stage now.
Don

nodiak

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2007, 12:09 am »
Hi Raja, similar tastes it looks like. The 50 watt gc is way overkill with the 96db SI's for sure. One thing I like about the Mapletree is the possibility of 0 gain. Tho I'll be looking for a used one at first (if) and can't expect that.
After all the small tubes I've tried I'd really like to hear the octals.
So if my son and I go on a surf trip north can i hear your gear?   :lol: 8) We're about 90 miles south of Oregon on the coast and sometimes go to Seaside Or. area for the waves and camping. Made it to Seattle one year. I've been to the San Juan Islands etc., would like to take him sometime. Just chatting as we haven't made plans yet this year.

Don

Berndt

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2007, 12:16 am »
Hi Berndt, I'm curious what amps you tried with your mapletree.

acurus dia-100  redefined sterile with good bass
luxman m-430 100wpc integrated all ss, smooth mids
conrad johnson mf-200 modified by music technologies, very open midrange with no ss shrillness

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2007, 12:27 am »
Hi Raja, similar tastes it looks like. The 50 watt gc is way overkill with the 96db SI's for sure. One thing I like about the Mapletree is the possibility of 0 gain. Tho I'll be looking for a used one at first (if) and can't expect that.
After all the small tubes I've tried I'd really like to hear the octals.
So if my son and I go on a surf trip north can i hear your gear?   :lol: 8) We're about 90 miles south of Oregon on the coast and sometimes go to Seaside Or. area for the waves and camping. Made it to Seattle one year. I've been to the San Juan Islands etc., would like to take him sometime. Just chatting as we haven't made plans yet this year.

Don

Don,

Sure, you would be welcome to sample my system if you can handle the clutter of a house in the midst of an extensive remodeling job.

Raj