BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

Lwxian

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1500 on: 29 Apr 2020, 12:14 am »
Hello,

That's quite odd, if you place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id I can take a look remotely.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris

Thank you so much Chris!

You have fixed the issue with the new firmware update!!!

Thumbsup!
Mr. Leong

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #1501 on: 4 Aug 2020, 01:18 pm »
Hey Chris, I have a question about the display of languages. For instance, my BDP-1 displays Enn Átti Loki Fleiri Börn as Enn ?tti Loki Fleiri B?rn, yet it displays song titles like Hel, jag vet mig väntar correctly. It doesn't even have a problem with the title of the latter's album name - Faþir. On the other hand, with the former, it just displays the title, while with the latter (different artist) it displays the complete route ahead of the title. It really wigs out with Russian. :lol: Obviously, this is not a serious issue nor is this a complaint, just a curiosity. All of my music ripped from CDs is in WAV format with very spotty metadata, so feel free to point the blame finger at me.  :slap:

S2.42 2020-04-15
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1502 on: 5 Aug 2020, 12:14 am »
Hey Chris, I have a question about the display of languages. For instance, my BDP-1 displays Enn Átti Loki Fleiri Börn as Enn ?tti Loki Fleiri B?rn, yet it displays song titles like Hel, jag vet mig väntar correctly. It doesn't even have a problem with the title of the latter's album name - Faþir. On the other hand, with the former, it just displays the title, while with the latter (different artist) it displays the complete route ahead of the title. It really wigs out with Russian. :lol: Obviously, this is not a serious issue nor is this a complaint, just a curiosity. All of my music ripped from CDs is in WAV format with very spotty metadata, so feel free to point the blame finger at me.  :slap:

S2.42 2020-04-15

That's hard to say, BDP's have difficulties picking up tag data from WAV files to begin with and accented characters need to be formatted at utf-8. Part of the problem could also be at some point I think I got so tired of WAV files being difficult I may have just made the title the file name due to some wierd problem.  If you place your unit into service mode and email or pm me the service id I can take a look remotely.

Chris

gbaby

« Reply #1503 on: 5 Aug 2020, 01:30 pm »

S2.42 2020-04-15

If you use dbpoweramp, you get all cover art importing wav files.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1504 on: 18 Aug 2020, 01:29 pm »
Hi Chris!

I have a few questions regarding my BDP-2 player.

1. What is the model number of the button-type backup battery on the motherboard?
2. Can I purchase a spare motherboard and the front panel PCB which includes the display and the button arrangement and how much do they cost?
3. Are the parts under count (2) user-replaceable?
4. When you look at the BDP-2 from the rear, there is a provision on the far left side that's covered with a metal rectangular piece held by two screws, presumably for additional USB ports. Is this an option then and how would these additional USB ports be connected to the motherboard inside the BDP-2?
5. Can the part under count (4) be installed by the user and how much does the part cost?
6. What is the maximum capacity for the internal disk drive? Can I use both conventional HDD and SSD?

Thank you for your time!

Cheers,
Antun

zoom25

« Reply #1505 on: 18 Aug 2020, 06:26 pm »
1) Cell battery should be CR2032. It is on the BDP-1 at least.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1506 on: 20 Aug 2020, 03:08 pm »
Hi Chris!

I have a few questions regarding my BDP-2 player.

1. What is the model number of the button-type backup battery on the motherboard?
2. Can I purchase a spare motherboard and the front panel PCB which includes the display and the button arrangement and how much do they cost?
3. Are the parts under count (2) user-replaceable?
4. When you look at the BDP-2 from the rear, there is a provision on the far left side that's covered with a metal rectangular piece held by two screws, presumably for additional USB ports. Is this an option then and how would these additional USB ports be connected to the motherboard inside the BDP-2?
5. Can the part under count (4) be installed by the user and how much does the part cost?
6. What is the maximum capacity for the internal disk drive? Can I use both conventional HDD and SSD?

Thank you for your time!

Cheers,
Antun

The battery should be a CR2032, but it should also be etched into the battery itself.  There really isn't anything stopping any one from replacing there mainboard, there's no soldering involved and cables connected to and from the board are removable.

As far as the cost goes you'll need to email us, it won't be cheap though as those boards where custom made for us and make up roughly 30% of the original cost of the unit.

http://old.bryston.com/pages/contact.html

i wouldn't install anything larger then 2TB in a BDP-2, larger drives may work but there could be boot compatibility issues.

Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #1507 on: 20 Aug 2020, 10:30 pm »
1) Cell battery should be CR2032. It is on the BDP-1 at least.

Thanks mate!

Cheers,
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #1508 on: 20 Aug 2020, 10:33 pm »
The battery should be a CR2032, but it should also be etched into the battery itself.  There really isn't anything stopping any one from replacing there mainboard, there's no soldering involved and cables connected to and from the board are removable.

As far as the cost goes you'll need to email us, it won't be cheap though as those boards where custom made for us and make up roughly 30% of the original cost of the unit.

http://old.bryston.com/pages/contact.html

i wouldn't install anything larger then 2TB in a BDP-2, larger drives may work but there could be boot compatibility issues.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

OK, I will send you guys an email about the pricing.

Can you please tell me about the provision on the rear paenl? Is it a usable expansion port for USB or some othr type of a connection?

Cheers,
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1509 on: 21 Aug 2020, 02:20 pm »
Thanks Chris!

OK, I will send you guys an email about the pricing.

Can you please tell me about the provision on the rear paenl? Is it a usable expansion port for USB or some othr type of a connection?

Cheers,
Antun

We were going to release a USB 3.0 option once the software was updated to take advantage of it, but then we never released the upgrade kit.  Then years later someone asked us about it and because the BDP-3 uses a USB 3.0 board that's compatible with the BDP-2 I put together a upgrade kit, passed the info to management and then it never went anywhere.  If your interested you could try ordering one, but it could prove difficult and confusing, but apparently its worked before and lead to Bryston offering dress panels in both black and silver and not just black.

Chris

Jozsef

« Reply #1510 on: 1 Sep 2020, 02:18 am »

Chris
Hey Chris, does this recommendation apply only to an internal drive or is there a limit on total connected storage?

Pundamilia

« Reply #1511 on: 7 Sep 2020, 02:08 am »
Error

Bryston DB disk full

What does this mean? According to Disk Information, I have a 932G internal disk drive with 358G free. (/dev/sdb1) and  a 4 TB external drive. I have been using this for several years now and have never seen the bright red error message banner.

I had tried to put a 16GB USB flash drive in the rear (configured as vfat) and set it up as a SCRATCH disk, but it is "Writeable: ro", so I suppose it is useless. (What good is a scratch drive that you can't write to?). How can I make the flash drive r/w and if I do that and make it a SCRATCH drive, will that solve my "Bryston DB disk full" error? Up until now the utilization of the flash drive has been 3.5G out of 16G and stays constant at that after I define it as a SCRATCH disk. What is being stored there if the BDP cannot write to that drive?  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Bridger

« Reply #1512 on: 2 Oct 2020, 12:15 pm »
Hi

I am David and this is my first post on this forum.

When I log onto the Dashboard from my PC I get a message "Device PMCNAS01 not connecting for unknown reason"
I am not aware of anything failing to work.

Can you tell me what this is about and what if anything I should do about it.

Thx

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1513 on: 2 Oct 2020, 04:03 pm »
Hi

I am David and this is my first post on this forum.

When I log onto the Dashboard from my PC I get a message "Device PMCNAS01 not connecting for unknown reason"
I am not aware of anything failing to work.

Can you tell me what this is about and what if anything I should do about it.

Thx

It means your BDP has been configured to connect to a NAS and the BDP is unable to establish a connection with it.  If you bought the unit second it could be an old entry.

Chris

Bridger

« Reply #1514 on: 2 Oct 2020, 06:05 pm »
Thank you Chris

I have no NAS - will have to work out how to unset that.
Guessed it couldn't be anything too serious

David

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1515 on: 4 Oct 2020, 10:57 pm »
Did you check NAS Setup settings page?

ebogda01

« Reply #1516 on: 5 Oct 2020, 02:31 pm »
Need your help. Sorry if this is long
I have a bdp 2, which has been running quite fine until recently. What happened is I replaced my router/network device at home and now none of my devices can connect to the bdp  :scratch:
If I manually push "restart network services" it briefly appears - both in the mpd program that I use (rigelian) and a web interface, but only for some 10 seconds and then disappears..
The BDP is plugged in ethernet port (my router app "sees" a "wired client", so I'm sure that the connection is actual in place)
checked the IP address - both the player and the router show the same IP, but neither my MacBook nor any of the iOS devices discover the player.
the software version is S2.42 2019-12.02

What am I doing wrong? what can I do?

Thank you!

« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2020, 09:59 pm by ebogda01 »

Bridger

« Reply #1517 on: 6 Oct 2020, 10:28 am »
Did you check NAS Setup settings page?

I removed the (non existent) NAS and the error message has gone.  :thumb:

However I have another issue. The SSD (internal to the BDP 2) does not show up in the Network Tab
 of Windows Explorer on my Win7 PC.  :(
Not sure if it was there before the change.

The routing is rather convoluted: PC - Firewall/VPN Server - Switch - Access Point - BDP 2.
The connection works ok in that I can use the PC to initiate tracks from the SSD - connect internet radio etc.

So my new issue is how to copy new music from my PC to the SSD?   :duh:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1518 on: 6 Oct 2020, 11:38 pm »
Need your help. Sorry if this is long
I have a bdp 2, which has been running quite fine until recently. What happened is I replaced my router/network device at home and now none of my devices can connect to the bdp  :scratch:
If I manually push "restart network services" it briefly appears - both in the mpd program that I use (rigelian) and a web interface, but only for some 10 seconds and then disappears..
The BDP is plugged in ethernet port (my router app "sees" a "wired client", so I'm sure that the connection is actual in place)
checked the IP address - both the player and the router show the same IP, but neither my MacBook nor any of the iOS devices discover the player.
the software version is S2.42 2019-12.02

What am I doing wrong? what can I do?

Thank you!

Have you tried to reset rather then restart the network settings or perform a factory reset?

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1519 on: 6 Oct 2020, 11:40 pm »
I removed the (non existent) NAS and the error message has gone.  :thumb:

However I have another issue. The SSD (internal to the BDP 2) does not show up in the Network Tab
 of Windows Explorer on my Win7 PC.  :(
Not sure if it was there before the change.

The routing is rather convoluted: PC - Firewall/VPN Server - Switch - Access Point - BDP 2.
The connection works ok in that I can use the PC to initiate tracks from the SSD - connect internet radio etc.

So my new issue is how to copy new music from my PC to the SSD?   :duh:

Have you tried connecting to the BDP by specifying the IP address?

\\<bdps ip address>\

Chris