SP1.7 & Digital Lock -- Possible Remote Issue? - SOLVED

The_Squire

My SP1.7 was recently upgraded to firmware v44F.  Alas, I'm not having any success activating the Digital Lock feature.

This document:  http://bryston.com/BrystonSite05/pdfs/PREAmplifiers/SP17_Version44a_01.pdf says that the code to enable Digital Lock is Code - Mute - Stereo - THX.  As I understand it, that should be code 061.

[This old thread:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=18657.0  indicates the code should be Code - Mute - Stereo - DTS, which is code 062.  I wonder which is correct?  No matter, I've tried both.]

When I go to issue code 061, I get as far as pressing Code - Mute - Stereo, at which point the code LED goes out.

Similarly, if I try to issue code 062, I get as far as pressing Code - Mute - Stereo... and again, the code LED goes out.

It's almost as if the remote doesn't expect to see a code like 061 (or 062).  Or any 06x code at all.  H'mmm...

I can successfully change inputs using the Code button.  001, 002, 003... 006 - no problem.  I've even been able to turn the unit off, code 000.  Cool!  But no code 061 or 062.

I wonder if there's such a thing as a firmware upgrade for the remote control.  There's a label on the chip in my remote that says SP1.7R602.  Is that current?  Old?  Irrelevant?

I'd appreciate any help that can be provided.

Mike
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2009, 09:00 pm by The_Squire »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP1.7 & Digital Lock -- Possible Remote Issue?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2009, 11:46 am »
My SP1.7 was recently upgraded to firmware v44F.  Alas, I'm not having any success activating the Digital Lock feature.

This document:  http://bryston.com/BrystonSite05/pdfs/PREAmplifiers/SP17_Version44a_01.pdf says that the code to enable Digital Lock is Code - Mute - Stereo - THX.  As I understand it, that should be code 061.

[This old thread:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=18657.0  indicates the code should be Code - Mute - Stereo - DTS, which is code 062.  I wonder which is correct?  No matter, I've tried both.]

When I go to issue code 061, I get as far as pressing Code - Mute - Stereo, at which point the code LED goes out.

Similarly, if I try to issue code 062, I get as far as pressing Code - Mute - Stereo... and again, the code LED goes out.

It's almost as if the remote doesn't expect to see a code like 061 (or 062).  Or any 06x code at all.  H'mmm...

I can successfully change inputs using the Code button.  001, 002, 003... 006 - no problem.  I've even been able to turn the unit off, code 000.  Cool!  But no code 061 or 062.

I wonder if there's such a thing as a firmware upgrade for the remote control.  There's a label on the chip in my remote that says SP1.7R602.  Is that current?  Old?  Irrelevant?

I'd appreciate any help that can be provided.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The code is 0-6-1 for digital force on and 0-6-2 for digital force off. I just tried it on my SP2 and it works fine.  I will ask Mike at Bryston when I get in today if he has any thoughts. It has been a while since I had an SP1.7 in my system so I can not remember if they were the same codes.

james

The_Squire

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2009, 01:30 pm »
Hi.  Thanks for the info.

As I say, I've tried both codes 0-6-1 and 0-6-2 and both give the same result:  the code light on the remote goes out after I press 6, so I can't even get to the last digit.

The remote behaves the same whether I'm near the SP1.7 or not.  This reinforces the idea that the remote doesn't know about such code combinations.  (Which seems very strange, I admit.)

I'd be grateful if someone could confirm whether there's such a thing as a firmware upgrade for the remote control.  If there isn't, I guess I'll have to forget about the Digital Lock feature.

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2009, 04:39 pm »
Squire:

I have an SP1.7 with 44A.   I click the code button to turn the light on the remote (i.e. don't hold it down until it starts blinking) 

When I then click:

mute -> stereo -> thx 

the SP1.7 responds with Dig Force On

So I think everything you are doing sounds right, unless you are holding down the code button too long?

-Scott

The_Squire

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2009, 11:20 pm »
Hi Gravy.  Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure I'm not pressing the Code button for too long.  I can get other codes to work:  001, 002, etc. for selecting the input.  Even 000 to turn the unit off.

I press and release the Code button for just a split second, just long enough to be sure I've actually pressed it.  Hard to know for sure but my guess is I'm pressing the button for about 250 milliseconds.

Until your message, I had not realized that the code LED would start blinking if the Code button is held for a 'long' time.  Counting steamboats, it seems to take about 5 seconds of holding the Code button to get the code LED to flash.  No, I'm not holding the button down that long.

The remote seems to have the exact same behaviour regardless of whether I'm in the vicinity of the main unit or not.  I press Code - Mute - Stereo... and the code LED goes out instantly.  It's like the remote itself doesn't understand the button sequence at all.

If I press just Code - Mute... the code LED stays lit for at least 8 seconds (awaiting the next button in the sequence), so it's not like I'm taking too long with the next button presses.  There's plenty of time.

Gravy, could I get you to do me a favour?  Could you open your remote (as if to replace the batteries) and look at the chip inside, to see if there's a sticker and what it says?  Mine says SP1.7R602.  I'm very curious to know what yours is.  Thanks in advance!!!

The_Squire

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2009, 03:41 pm »
I will ask Mike at Bryston when I get in today if he has any thoughts.

james

Hi James.

I take it no insights were obtained.

I remain curious regarding firmware for the remote.  Is there such a thing?  The chip inside my remote has a sticker that says SP1.7R602.  Is that the firmware version for the remote?  Is that current?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?   :?

Thanks again for your attention.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2009, 03:52 pm »
I will ask Mike at Bryston when I get in today if he has any thoughts.

james

Hi James.

I take it no insights were obtained.

I remain curious regarding firmware for the remote.  Is there such a thing?  The chip inside my remote has a sticker that says SP1.7R602.  Is that the firmware version for the remote?  Is that current?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?   :?

Thanks again for your attention.

Hi Squire,

Where are you located?

james

The_Squire

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:07 pm »
I live near the Kitchener-Waterloo area in Ontario, Canada.  (I have typically dealt with Natural Sound, who still appear in your dealers list for Ontario.)

Is this going where I think it's going? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:13 pm »
I live near the Kitchener-Waterloo area in Ontario, Canada.  (I have typically dealt with Natural Sound, who still appear in your dealers list for Ontario.)

Is this going where I think it's going? 

Hi Squire,

I spoke to Mike and he thinks the remote is sending a 'double code' when you hit the '6' button so its confusing the remote sensor in the SP1.7.

So try entering the code numbers quckly and see what happens. If that does not help lets get the remote back and we will sort it out for you.

Also try 006 and see if the source changes - - if it does nothing is wrong with the 6 button.

james

The_Squire

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2009, 06:12 pm »
Hi James:

Code 006 works fine, no problems.

I have tried code 061 and 062 both slowly and quickly - the result is the same.  How quick is quick?  I'm confident that I can enter code 061 in less than one second - maybe as little as 500 ms.  Is this good enough?

(I've also tried code 060 in order to enable the sub in bypass mode, again with no positive result.  This feature is even more important to me than Digital Lock, actually.)

Very puzzling.

Thanks for the continuing efforts.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2009, 07:22 pm »
Hi James:

Code 006 works fine, no problems.

I have tried code 061 and 062 both slowly and quickly - the result is the same.  How quick is quick? 

What's the 'slew rate' of your fingers? :lol:

james

PS - please send me the remote and we will get it sorted for you.

The_Squire

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2009, 08:44 pm »
Thanks very much.  I've sent an email to your Bryston address regarding an RMA number or whatever the next step should be.

The_Squire

Re: SP1.7 & Digital Lock -- Possible Remote Issue - SOLVED
« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2009, 05:11 pm »
Just a follow-up to report that the issue has been resolved.

The remote required a 'reprogramming' and now the 06x series codes are all functioning as expected.

Thanks again go to Bryston and especially James Tanner for superlative customer care.  Their reputation as a first rate company is well earned and well deserved.

Peace.