Symphonic Line RG-S200 - Is it from Odyssey?

zoltm2001

Symphonic Line RG-S200 - Is it from Odyssey?
« on: 4 Dec 2009, 02:54 pm »

May I know if any kind soul in this forum would know about this amp? I was told it's more than 10 years old and where does it sits in the current Symphonic Line or Odyssey product hierarchy?

What would be a fair value of the amp in the present market?

Thx.

zoltm2001

Re: Symphonic Line RG-S200 - Is it from Odyssey?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2009, 02:58 pm »
I have to say, the guts / internal of this amp is very Symphonic Line but the appearance is very Odyssey.

evan1

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:36 am »
Looks like the wiring , and the lettering on the back

topround

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:51 am »
My freind is having his  odyssey monos updated with symphonic caps(amongst other things) Maybe this is a Odyssey with the Symphonic caps?

honesthoff

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2009, 01:19 am »
Looks like a nice find for you.  :thumb:
I'm guessing the RG-S200 designation stands for Rolf Gemein (SL owner/designer)-Stereo 200 watts, and it would be the approximate equivalent of their current entry-level RG-1 stereo amp which retails for 5000 euros.  SL products tend to sell very quickly on A'gon.
How does it sound?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2009, 01:32 am »
Symphonic Line products are +3x that of their Odyssey counterparts. Something to think about when selling. Doesn't Audiogon have a bluebook for used audio gear? Maybe a picture of the front of the amp would be helpful also. Good luck with your sale if indeed you'd even want to part with it.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

alexsash

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2009, 10:56 pm »
Doesn't Audiogon have a bluebook for used audio gear?

Agon BB shows a Symphonic S-200:
released 1998, 150w, 2 ch
$4295 new
$1580 used

No data. Don't know how valid the used value is.

Could that be the one you have?

Christof

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2009, 11:08 pm »
I have a SL amp in a case designed by Klaus...same X-wing heat sinks.

zoltm2001

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2009, 02:31 pm »

$4295 new
$1580 used

Thanks a lot for the help in looking up the Agon's BB. It looks like this is quite possible the amp that I located.

BTW, this is another option that I manage to locate during my search for another amp for bi-amping the Maggie.

The offer I obtained for this X-wing SL R-200 is very attractive, it's ~US$800. I have another option which is a pair of Stratos Mono for $1,100.

I know it may be a stupid question to ask, which one would you choose? There is no way I can arrange an audition of both amps in the same system.  :duh:

alexsash

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2009, 03:39 pm »

The offer I obtained for this X-wing SL R-200 is very attractive, it's ~US$800. I have another option which is a pair of Stratos Mono for $1,100.

I know it may be a stupid question to ask, which one would you choose? There is no way I can arrange an audition of both amps in the same system.  :duh:

I know just about everyone else here is more qualified to answer your question than I but over the past six months I have spent a lot of time watching used Odyssey gear go up for sale and have learned quite a bit. Plus, I have acquired a pair of Stratos monos in Khartago cases and a Tempest Extreme to drive my B&W CDM 9nt's and have been enjoying them immensely.

So, while I have no idea which of the two amps that you listed is better, I would suggest a hard look at the monos. For the price you listed and if they are clean, 3 to 4 years old with redboards, offered by the original owner and without any known problems, then I wouldn't pass them up.

I suppose the best advice would be for you to call Klaus for not only would he know both these amps better than anyone, but he could give you specific advice regarding what would be best for your particular use. And... I've been told that he does sell not only his new offerings at bargain prices but also has B stock or refurbished gear at very reasonable prices as well.

While I have absolutely no regret about my purchases, I am a little ashamed that I didn't give Klaus first chance at a sale and I would suggest that you not make that same mistake.

Christof

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2009, 07:13 pm »

$4295 new
$1580 used

Thanks a lot for the help in looking up the Agon's BB. It looks like this is quite possible the amp that I located.

BTW, this is another option that I manage to locate during my search for another amp for bi-amping the Maggie.

If it makes any difference to you, I have the same X-wing RG-200 and Stratos Dual Mono's.  I'm biamping my speakers with the SL-200 on top and Mono's on bass duty.  I like the RG-200 better than the Dual Mono's.  Is there a big difference b/t the two?  I think not but to my ears the RG-200 does things just a little better.  If I were in your shoes I'd go for the RG-200. 

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2009, 07:43 pm »

$4295 new
$1580 used

If it makes any difference to you, I have the same X-wing RG-200 and Stratos Dual Mono's.  I'm biamping my speakers with the SL-200 on top and Mono's on bass duty.  I like the RG-200 better than the Dual Mono's.  Is there a big difference b/t the two?  I think not but to my ears the RG-200 does things just a little better.  If I were in your shoes I'd go for the RG-200.

Boy that's pretty hard to agrue with.  :thumb:  Besides, I can't see for the life of me how $800 can be considered attractive when the BB has it listed as being worth twice as much.  :scratch:  Sounds to me like you have a gem in your hand, but if you feel like spending more money, heck send it back to Klaus and let him tweak on it.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Christof

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2009, 08:31 pm »
The screws on the back panel look rusty in the picture....what gives?

srb

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2009, 09:04 pm »
The screws on the back panel look rusty in the picture....what gives?

I have seen that before at houses located very close to the ocean with "salt air".  You would think it would just apply to unplated hardware, but I have seen hardware with a black phosphate coating (like drywall screws) get just like that.

Steve

alexsash

« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2009, 11:41 pm »
Boy that's pretty hard to agrue with.  :thumb:  Besides, I can't see for the life of me how $800 can be considered attractive when the BB has it listed as being worth twice as much.  :scratch:  Sounds to me like you have a gem in your hand, but if you feel like spending more money, heck send it back to Klaus and let him tweak on it.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Keep in mind... when Agon BB notes "too little data", the used value listed may not be reliable. IOW, the used value listed may not even be an average but simply one deal... and that deal could be several years old.

While I have no idea what that amp is worth, I wouldn't put much stock in the Agon BB number.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2009, 11:52 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Keep in mind... when Agon BB notes "too little data", the used value listed may not be reliable. IOW, the used value listed may not even be an average but simply one deal... and that deal could be several years old.

While I have no idea what that amp is worth, I wouldn't put much stock in the Agon BB number.

Thanks for the explanataion, I really have no knowledge of the A'gon BB or access to it, but I had heard of it mentioned before and that's why I brought it up in the 1st place. I was going by the numbers provided and I still feel $800 is why too cheap for a $4300 Symphonic Line amp if it's in good condtion. This german amp has always been highly thought of and sought after. Talk to Klaus and get his opinion, call late in the evening for the best shot at reaching him.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

smata67

« Reply #16 on: 7 Dec 2009, 01:34 pm »
Buy them both.  Find out which one you like better.  Sell the other.

Christof

« Reply #17 on: 7 Dec 2009, 11:37 pm »
Are there handles on the front of the RG-S200?  Thats all I'm missing....I've been waiting on a pair from Klaus for ages.  Aside from the almost 2 year wait on the handles he was very quick to tune up and rebias both of my amps :thumb: