Stratos mono extreme with Rogue preamp?

mswobo

• always after better sound need a money tree
Stratos mono extreme with Rogue preamp?
« on: 13 Apr 2013, 11:52 pm »
Looking at some of these and wanted to know if anyone has tried any Rouge preamps with these.

May want to try a new Titan series preamp of older model 66.

Currently have a Accuphase c200

Any thoughts...

lazydays

Re: Stratos mono extreme with Rogue preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2013, 06:15 pm »
I've had at least a half dozen different tube preamps ahead of my monos, and all worked quite well
gary

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2013, 11:20 pm »
I use an Audible Illusions Modulus 3b tube preamp with my Stereo Stratos Extreme Plus+++ amp and it sounds incredible.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2013, 02:48 am »
Think there is someone who is selling a Rogue 99. PM me if you can't find the ad here or on Audio Asylum, I have his e-mail somewhere.

mswobo

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2013, 07:42 pm »
i picked  up an Audio 99 over the weekend and its awesome...I'm floored on how it all sounds together...The amps are so sweet.

Detuned

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2013, 04:00 am »
+1 ... dual mono extreme with rogue 99 magnum. very pleasing combo.

mswobo

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2013, 02:16 am »
Have had the Strato's and Rogue for a few weeks now. Just wonderful...I can actually listen to CD's again. With my Rega RP1 and Ortofon Blue I am very pleased.  Just going to add a sub $700 phono preamp and cancel my TV service.

I bought the Odyssey's over Rogue M150's.

djkzk

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2013, 05:26 pm »
Great to hear it is working well for you.  I know I have had fabulous results with my CJ Premier 16 and Odyssey amps.  For other members who may have compatibility questions, you should first call Klaus and give him a chance to provide recommendations.  He is a class act and takes into consideration what components you have.

Cheers

TAULISA

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2013, 01:52 pm »
Been running joyfully my Odyssey Stratos mono blocks for 12 years in a row with FIRST SOUND MK II preamplifier
fitted with SIEMENS  E188CC NOS TUBES delivering a superb sound !

Toby

Detuned

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2013, 10:15 pm »

has anyone paired an Odyssey amp with a McIntosh pre??

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2013, 08:33 am »
Yes,  I have heard our amps with dozens and dozens of pre's,  both, the Rogue and several different Mac's, even back to a vintage C 22 which I sold many moons ago.
Anyway, our amps love tubes,  period.  Sonically,  I have not heard a single mismatch with tube preamps yet,  even in some more severe cases as to output compatibility.  What's on paper is one thing,  what you hear is a different one. 

Also,  always keep in mind that while the pre/power combination is important, of course,  the vast majority of synergy goes with the amp / speaker combo....  Always use the speakers as your center piece,  and go backwards......

TAULISA

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2013, 08:52 am »
Auditioned and tested many tube preamplifiers over the past decade and figured out that FIRST SOUND and LAMM are the best of the best to be
mated with ODYSSEY AUDIO mono blocks especially if equipped with NEW OLD STOCK German tubes such as SIEMENS and TELEFUNKEN.

Toby

TAULISA

Re: Stratos mono extreme with Rogue preamp and speakers !
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2013, 09:51 am »
KLAUS STATES:
Anyway, our amps love tubes,  period.  Sonically,  I have not heard a single mismatch with tube preamps yet,  even in some more severe cases as to output compatibility.   
Also,  always keep in mind that while the pre/power combination is important, of course,  the vast majority of synergy goes with the amp / speaker combo.... 

Also, in this particular Odyssey Audio amps/Speakers synergy let me write down once and forever; SCAN SPEAK speaker drivers represent the
best match I have auditioned//experienced after a decade with other branded British Pro AC and German AUDIO PHYSIC loudspeakers featuring
SCAN SPEAK drivers.

As a matter of fact, I was tremendously amazed at auditioning in 2001 my customized 2 1/2"-way floor standing speakers (attached photos) equipped with SCAN SPEAK drivers (basically with the everlasting Revelator tweeter) alongside my ODYSSEY AUDIO blue-colored mono blocks !

No doubt ! Odyssey Audio/Scan Speak is a GREAT MATCH !!!!!

Toby

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2013, 12:02 pm »
Also,  always keep in mind that while the pre/power combination is important, of course,  the vast majority of synergy goes with the amp / speaker combo....  Always use the speakers as your center piece,  and go backwards......

Klaus -- can you elaborate on "the vast majority of synergy goes with the amp / speaker combo....?" How do you match your amp with your speakers? Thanks.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2013, 09:16 am »
Well,  as for our speakers,  obviously we voice it with our amps....btw,  we have a lot of manufacturer who are doing this using our amps with their speakers,  from Magico down to independent small guys.
Anyway,  there are 3 overriding factors for me,  which I am preaching for 26 years now !!!!!

1. emotion  2.  sound staging and huge predence  and 3. tonality, lack of fatigue with precision neutrality

This all combined will give you your close your eyes, drift away and get you emotional orgasm, no matter what gear you have IF it is done right,  i.e. musical and involving.  Of course there are myriads of other factors, e.g. control, speed, dynamics, micro areas, etc. etc.  But ultimately,  and purposeful this simple,  these 3 factors are 90 % + of what you would get hooked on.....

Now, as with the amps:  they are by my own set-up just a tad to the warm side of neutral.  Many reasons,  call it vast synergy with existing speakers out there.  However,  there are severe cases where a speaker can sound either bright, analytical, or thin on one side,  or others that are overly rich or bloated on the other side.  That's where the bias comes in.  All amps have to be biased,  set up internally for best performance and reliability.  However,  very few of them can actually be used to tune your system.  Sure,  with tubes you can alter the sound quite a bit by tube rolling,  but not necessarily within a given design.
With our amps,  we can actually make the amp a little leaner, or detail oriented,  or a little fuller, richer....just by changing the bias.  I only base this on the tonality of speakers,  not on specs.  Don't care about specs,  care only about ears....
Then there is a 3rd dimension in severe cases,  which is the listening environment itself,  but that's one of those )&^*%$&$($(&^$^(*_^_(^$% issues,  but the actual results of what you hear can be adjusted somewhat by me with some biasing as well.

All of this has been learned over the years by countless installs, and feedbacks from some of the 4500 + customers of ours.  I have a pretty good database of levels of synergy with speaker models, and what to do,  but the single most important help is to get the info including voltage from our customers.......

Late,

Klaus

mswobo

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2013, 02:38 am »
Tube preamp with Odyssey mono blocks is wonderful in my system. I tried an Accuphase and a Krell SS but when I hooked up the Rogue I knew in 2 minutes its was a great match. I auditioned Rogue M150 mono blocks first. I found a great price on the Stratos used and once I auditioned those I bought them. Was blown away by the amps. I never heard of the Odysseys until I saw them mentioned in a forum. Once I started finding info on Klaus and his amps I had to find a set to listen to. Using Vandersteen 2ce's with Vandersteen subwoofers.

ricardojoa

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2013, 09:36 am »
Well,  as for our speakers,  obviously we voice it with our amps....btw,  we have a lot of manufacturer who are doing this using our amps with their speakers,  from Magico down to independent small guys.
Anyway,  there are 3 overriding factors for me,  which I am preaching for 26 years now !!!!!

1. emotion  2.  sound staging and huge predence  and 3. tonality, lack of fatigue with precision neutrality

This all combined will give you your close your eyes, drift away and get you emotional orgasm, no matter what gear you have IF it is done right,  i.e. musical and involving.  Of course there are myriads of other factors, e.g. control, speed, dynamics, micro areas, etc. etc.  But ultimately,  and purposeful this simple,  these 3 factors are 90 % + of what you would get hooked on.....

Now, as with the amps:  they are by my own set-up just a tad to the warm side of neutral.  Many reasons,  call it vast synergy with existing speakers out there.  However,  there are severe cases where a speaker can sound either bright, analytical, or thin on one side,  or others that are overly rich or bloated on the other side.  That's where the bias comes in.  All amps have to be biased,  set up internally for best performance and reliability.  However,  very few of them can actually be used to tune your system.  Sure,  with tubes you can alter the sound quite a bit by tube rolling,  but not necessarily within a given design.
With our amps,  we can actually make the amp a little leaner, or detail oriented,  or a little fuller, richer....just by changing the bias.  I only base this on the tonality of speakers,  not on specs.  Don't care about specs,  care only about ears....
Then there is a 3rd dimension in severe cases,  which is the listening environment itself,  but that's one of those )&^*%$&$($(&^$^(*_^_(^$% issues,  but the actual results of what you hear can be adjusted somewhat by me with some biasing as well.

All of this has been learned over the years by countless installs, and feedbacks from some of the 4500 + customers of ours.  I have a pretty good database of levels of synergy with speaker models, and what to do,  but the single most important help is to get the info including voltage from our customers.......

Late,

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

So how do you categorize the bias of your amps when some one order you amps?

What are the trade off on the different bias?

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jun 2013, 09:08 pm »
No trade - offs...Once the customer gives me his average voltage (has to be measured several times,  will fluctuate) then I set up the amp usually at the normal bias for each model at exactly that voltage.  Only if a customer has a room problem or a speaker tonality issue,  I'll adjust the bias accordingly......

ricardojoa

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jun 2013, 10:22 pm »
No trade - offs...Once the customer gives me his average voltage (has to be measured several times,  will fluctuate) then I set up the amp usually at the normal bias for each model at exactly that voltage.  Only if a customer has a room problem or a speaker tonality issue,  I'll adjust the bias accordingly......

Thank you.
I got to be honest that i did not get the answer for its technical side :lol:. You mean the preamp output voltage?
What is is adjustable? Im interested in the Decware pre amp and as far as i understand it has adjustable 0-36 volts. Is this voltage you are referring to?
Thanks

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:01 pm »
Nope,  it's simply the house voltage of the outlet where the amp is being plugged in.......main voltage affects the bias....the bias affects the sound.....