Temple Audio - anyone have dealings?

geezerizing

Temple Audio - anyone have dealings?
« on: 15 Jun 2017, 07:00 pm »
Wondering if anyone has any feedback on Temple Audio as a business (not a review of their products). Are they reliable and honest?

Thanks...
Lenny

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Temple Audio - anyone have dealings?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2017, 09:26 pm »
Read my mono-block review here on Audio Circle.

Got a reply from my first inquiry.  Tried to use their system to reply, but it didn't work.  A second inquiry did (right away). 

Ordered the mono-blocks, but didn't get tracking info.  Two followups and finally got a tracking number 15 days later.  Amps were received 2  days later in perfect condition.  However 7 days later they contacted me to say some shipments to the U.S. went out with 15 volt wall warts instead of the proper 24 volt ones and asked me to check.  Sure enough I'd received the 15 volt models, so I contacted them and they've promised to send out the 24 volt power supplies (still waiting after 14 days). 

After I get the 24 volt units in I'll add impressions to my review.
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2017, 11:48 am by JLM »

JLM

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2017, 11:42 am »
Just got 20 volt (not the advertised/promised 24 volt) power supplies after another 19 days, but without power cords.  (The 15 volt units used C7 connectors but these are IEC and I just threw out "extra" wires including probably five IEC power cords.)   :roll:

So I ordered a pair of 18 gauge power cords from Monoprice and will report back when they're all broken in.

geezerizing

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2017, 12:27 pm »
Hmm. I'm awaiting a Bantam One, which has been a long time coming. I think when the say a week, they mean a month, and  when they say 24 volt they mean 20.  It's a bit troubling, but ultimately won't matter if the product performs well.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2017, 01:49 pm »
Just got 20 volt (not the advertised/promised 24 volt) power supplies after another 19 days, but without power cords.

I would insist they make good with the promise. It's not like you're communicating in two different languages.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2017, 03:29 pm »
Just got 20 volt (not the advertised/promised 24 volt) power supplies after another 19 days, but without power cords.

Well, you're now at 58W/ch, up from 44W/ch.  Hopefully in another ~ 3 weeks you'll be up to the advertised 70W/ch!  ;)

Steve

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2017, 04:42 pm »
I need new amplification and I'm interested in these amps, but customer service is every bit as important to me  as the quality of the product.

geezerizing

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2017, 04:48 pm »
I think when you're dealing with a small artisanal outfit you need to cut them some slack. Some. The question is how much. Personally, I could handle almost anything if I knew what when and why with some accuracy.

Brettio

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2017, 05:35 pm »
Good to know about this company.  The lack of communication is a deal killer for me...nevermind their carelessness. Too many great companies to support in this hobby.

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2017, 01:50 am »
17 or 19 days for stuff to cross the pond is understandable.  I wasn't trying to pass judgement on Temple Audio, just reporting my dealings with the company.

And even at 44 watts they're loud enough for me, so I'm not going to make an issue of 20 volt vs 24 volt power supplies.  Note that 70 watts is only 2 dB louder than 44 watts.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2017, 03:58 am »
Note that 70 watts is only 2 dB louder than 44 watts.

Noted.

And 44W is only 2dB louder than 28W.  However, for me it's also about the musical peaks, and at most any speaker sensitivity I'll take all the headroom I can get, especially if my amplifier is designed for a particular power output with the stock power supply it's supposed to ship with.

Steve

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2017, 11:22 am »
From what I've read the mono-blocks themselves are rated to 100 watts, so don't know why they only ship a power supply capable of producing 70 watts in the first place (that would add another 2 dB of gain). 

Note that my speakers are rated for 27 watts continuous, 80 watts peak, but would rather have them connected to a clean 500 watt amp than a 20 watt amp that is distorting.  So yes, why not provide sufficient power for the full capacity of the amps?

geezerizing

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2017, 03:24 pm »
I ordered (and paid for) a Bantam One on March 20. The site says a 3 week turnaround. I contacted John Clayton on April 20 - he said they had a supply prob and it would be ready soon. I contacted John on May 22, he said it would be ready soon. I contacted John on June 16 - he said it would be shipped out "early next week without fail".  I contacted John 6/22 to cancel my order. At no time did they contact me. Disappointing...

John,

I think we have a different understanding of the words “start” and “without fail”.  You have created a lovely product that got one very nice review, but your inability to communicate with forthrightness makes me doubt the integrity and ability of your organization. I have been patient because I like to support small artisanal operations, but they have to deliver. You have not.

I am requesting a refund immediately.

Sincerely,
Leonard Friedland

Sent: Friday, June 16, 2017 11:51 AM
To: Lenny Friedland
Subject: Re: bantam one order status?

Very sorry about that Lenny.

Your amp has been built and its being tested right now and will be the next amp to be sent out. That will be sent at the start of the coming week without fail.

Kind regards
John

On 15/06/2017 19:53, Lenny Friedland wrote:

John,

You said “A week or so”. It’s been 3. I am very close to canceling this order.

sonicxtc

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2017, 06:27 pm »
Just my 2 cents.
I bought a used Bantam integrated (Bantam Gold). Subsequently, I emailed John Clayton a couple of times with questions. Sometimes he answered within a day, sometimes a few days later, but he always provided thoughtful responses and demonstrated a sincere interest in customer service. For the money, I think Bantam provides a great product, excellent sound and my amp has run flawlessly for the two years I've had it.

We all likely have to be a bit more patient than may be expected when dealing with small boutique manufacturers. I'm not taking sides; I'm offering my experience with Bantam.

Good luck in your journey.