'The beautiful lens' Ken Rockwell's Runner Up Product of the Decade

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Wow - He really likes my 18-200mm VR lens!

Yes I rarely use a tripod! And I rarely change lenses outdoors!

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/photo-product-of-the-decade-2000s.htm

Actually an interesting article with his picks for the photography product of each decade that was revolutionary.

BobM

Hey, that's the lens I bought (on Ken's recommendation) when I picked up my D40. Yeah, I do like it a lot - it is very versatile.

cliffy

Hey, that's the lens I bought (on Ken's recommendation) when I picked up my D40. Yeah, I do like it a lot - it is very versatile.

I did the same thing for my wife's D40.  She now also has the fixed 35mm lense as well.  The fixed focal length lense is much faster (1.8) so it is better inside w/o flash.  Those 2 lenses are all you really need unless you are a pro.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2010, 09:47 pm by cliffy »

jqp

• Volunteer
I did the same thing for my wife's D40.  She now also has the fixed 35mm lense as well.  The fixed focal length lense is much faster (1:1.8) so it is better inside w/o flash.  Those 2 lenses are all you really need unless you are a pro.

And I also have the 35mm 1.8 lens! Yes those two are about all you need - the 35mm is I think equivalent to on a full frame system. Plus the D40 kit lens (18-55) is a really nice lens. The D90 kit lens is 18-105.

But I am also going to get a macro (micro in Nikon-speak).

JohnR

I didn't know that Velvia 50 had been rereleased. I will have to try it.

BikeWNC

Rockwell likes anything Nikon.  I'm not saying it isn't a very nice lens, just that he's a bit of a shill for Nikon. 

jqp

• Volunteer
Yeah he likes anything Leica and most things Canon also. Also a growing Pentax section. And he really likes film cameras. But he is pretty fair I think.

JackD201

It's my favorite travel lens. My only complaint is that the lens droops sometimes. Sure my primes and heavy glass monsters do what they do better but yeah I'd it put it right up there as one of the best all 'rounders for the money. Besides as I get older just the thought of lugging around all that glass when not on a dedicated photo safari can be a real pain.

WerTicus

I've fallen in love with primes.  Having to zoom with your feet really makes your composition better.  (sharper images, lighter lens and faster glass are bonuses also)

JohnR

Oh, so Pentax make primes too? Good to hear :thumb:

Wind Chaser

I've fallen in love with primes.  Having to zoom with your feet really makes your composition better.  (sharper images, lighter lens and faster glass are bonuses also)

I picked up an FA 50 1.4, partly due to your recommendation, it's a nice lens but now I'm thinking as primes go I'm going to need something with a shorter focal length.  I do prefer the convenience of a zoom over a prime and the hassle of switching lenses on the fly.

Not even a month into this and I've spent more on lenses than the camera and I still take crappy pictures, but at least I'm learning.  :D

WerTicus

Yeah i try to think about what lens to have in advance for the situation.

the FA 50 is one of my fav portrait lenses, but if its outdoors activities I'll probably take the 90mm instead.

Unless its for landscapes obviously.  I have actually taken most of my landscapes with the 50mm, however i have a 35 as well, if its something that needs to be taken in one shot.

I'm looking to at a sigma 10-20mm soon.

I really don't like the quality from super zooms.  I've also found i tend to use zooms all the way in or all the way out so decided i can replace them with two lenses in the end (maybe 3) :)

Wind Chaser

I'm looking to at a sigma 10-20mm soon.

I gave that one some thought too, but right now Pentax has some rebates in Canada happening which makes the DA 21mm 3.8 $230 cheaper.  Speed is more important to me than the extra 10mm, plus based on the samples I've seen, it produces a sharper image than the Sigma.  The other thing that attracts me to it it's very modest pancake size.

WerTicus

Hrmm I don't think you can really compare these lenses :)  At 20mm vs the 21mm sure.. but 10mm vs 21mm is ... massive.

12 - 24mm is comparable but even 2mm at the low end is a big difference.

Wind Chaser

I understand that, but 21mm is wide enough for me. 8)

Wind Chaser

10mm vs 21mm is ... massive.

I understand that, but 21mm is wide enough for me. 8)

I went to check out the Sigma 10-20 today.  Now I know what you mean by massive. :o