"van Gogh Shadow"

SET Man

"van Gogh Shadow"
« on: 6 Jun 2013, 04:16 am »
Hey!

Well, it is not a photography post. Don't know where to put it. But I'm pretty sure many of you here are in photography would like art also. :D

I came across this very lovely animated rendition of Vincent van Gogh's masterpieces. There are others out there I've seen in many way but this one is exceptional...

http://youtu.be/MPQSN3fNLF4

This guy is good. The painting really come to life, but still preserve all the originals feel to them. Lovely!

This reminded me of a Japanese film I saw a few years back where one of the scene was in a dream of the main character where he found himself in van Gogh's painting. I forgot what that movie called but that was one of the scene I remembered, that was good also.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bemopti123

Re: "van Gogh Shadow"
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2013, 11:00 am »
I saw that Kurosawa film decades ago!  hahahah.   Dreams....  sort of bizarre. The Belgians are excellent are their take of artsy things.  A very artsy country in general. 

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2013, 11:11 am »
Hey!

Well, it is not a photography post. Don't know where to put it. But I'm pretty sure many of you here are in photography would like art also. :D

I came across this very lovely animated rendition of Vincent van Gogh's masterpieces. There are others out there I've seen in many way but this one is exceptional...

http://youtu.be/MPQSN3fNLF4

This guy is good. The painting really come to life, but still preserve all the originals feel to them. Lovely!

This reminded me of a Japanese film I saw a few years back where one of the scene was in a dream of the main character where he found himself in van Gogh's painting. I forgot what that movie called but that was one of the scene I remembered, that was good also.

Take care,
Hi SET Man and all Audio Circle members.
Just finish watching that van Gogh's animated video.
This is good, very good, brillant.
It preserve the already hawsome painting and add something magical with the animation and lighting.
I am not a fan of van Gogh, but this makes me like him.
Next time I will go at the Montreal museum, if I see his work, I am sure I will think about this little animation video.
Thanks SET Man for this nice presentation.

Guy 13 
It might not be photography, but it's art, same as photograpy.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2013, 03:24 am »
I saw that Kurosawa film decades ago!  hahahah.   Dreams....  sort of bizarre. The Belgians are excellent are their take of artsy things.  A very artsy country in general.

Hey!

Ah! So that what it was "Dreams" Yes, I think it was almost 10 years ago too when I saw that film. I still remembered that scene where the guy walk into van Gogh's painting. And yes, I saw his other film "Ran" also... visually spectacular.

Hi SET Man and all Audio Circle members.
Just finish watching that van Gogh's animated video.
This is good, very good, brillant.
It preserve the already hawsome painting and add something magical with the animation and lighting.
I am not a fan of van Gogh, but this makes me like him.
Next time I will go at the Montreal museum, if I see his work, I am sure I will think about this little animation video.
Thanks SET Man for this nice presentation.

Guy 13 
It might not be photography, but it's art, same as photograpy.

Not a fan of van Gogh? I've always like art in general and van Gogh's works are some of my favorite, there aren't many like him... if any... during his time or since.

To really appreciate his works you have to see one... not on computer screen, not a poster of it, but real one right in front of you... to see the brush strokes, thick paint and colors in front of you than you'll understand why his works really stand out.  I am lucky to be living in NYC and there are some of his works around here in museums like Metropolitan and MoMA.

Sadly his madness of which I think was part of what made him great as a painter also drove him to his death. I think if he were alive today likely he will be on Prozac.  :?

Anyway, if you've never see his works do go see some in person... stand still, look around with your eyes for a few minutes and you'll see what I mean.  :wink:

Take care,

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2013, 08:41 am »
Buddy,

Thanks so much for sharing that, it really is beautiful.  Some of the animation is very subtle giving it a just perceptible feel of life within the context of the art.  Van Gogh, and all great artists, seem to breath that into their works.

I really liked the music as well.  I'll be hunting down "Experience" - Ludovico Einaudi!

I'm with you that Van Gogh was a very special artist.  I would take any one of his works over, say, a Picasso or a Dali.  That's not to say I dislike their work but certain artists just speak to my soul just like music does.

Thanks again!

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2013, 03:51 am »
Buddy,

Thanks so much for sharing that, it really is beautiful.  Some of the animation is very subtle giving it a just perceptible feel of life within the context of the art.  Van Gogh, and all great artists, seem to breath that into their works.

I really liked the music as well.  I'll be hunting down "Experience" - Ludovico Einaudi!

I'm with you that Van Gogh was a very special artist.  I would take any one of his works over, say, a Picasso or a Dali.  That's not to say I dislike their work but certain artists just speak to my soul just like music does.

Thanks again!

Hey!

No problem JakeJ.... beautiful is right. I like the fact that he kept all the feel of the original. Why mess with the masterpiece and perfection right?

You know  I agreed with you. If you someone give me a choice of owing one painting from Picasso, Dali or van Gogh... I think I will go with a van Gogh :D Yes, I do like Picasso and Dali ... actually I'm a fan of Dali also, and of course Magritte when is come to surrealism.

Anyway, I have to say that when I look at van Gogh's works I tend to look at them longer and closer than I would with Picasso, of which I would stand a bit back and just observe it overall. But with van Gogh, I tend to get pull in more. There's something very inviting with van Gogh's :D

Take care,

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2013, 03:56 am »
The video seems quite dark compared to the stills...?

http://www.131076.com/van-gogh/

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm »
The video seems quite dark compared to the stills...?

http://www.131076.com/van-gogh/

Yes probably to give overhead for the effects?

Also I have learned he did several versions of some of these, which can be in different collections.

The interesting thing about the impressionists to me is that their work is only about 100 years old, so photography and cars were around back then. When I recently saw some of the impressionist paintings in Chicago, I could literally smell the oil paint.

Coming soon - photos of some paintings from famous painters using my D600, up close and personal.