Audio Myths too

werd

Re: Audio Myths too
« Reply #60 on: 27 Nov 2012, 07:19 pm »
I am on board with this. He hasn't said anything that I think is bad. But my input would be that tuning your soundstage would be more easily handled by just adjusting the volume. Look for the volume setting on your  pre amp that best makes each recording sound it's best. They are not the same and speaks volumes (pun)on the value of good volume control.

bummrush

« Reply #61 on: 27 Nov 2012, 07:38 pm »
3 ft from rear wall,,, right speaker is 18 inch so about 2 ft from front wall ,, left is a bit different with no wall per se just a open area leading to a closet and a regular room corner on left.my gallery are old I actually had a bed in there at one point., thankfully that's long gone.

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
  • "everything affects everything else"
    • MGA/RoomTune
« Reply #62 on: 27 Nov 2012, 07:52 pm »
Hi bummrush

So if you put Aqualung on and go to song 6 do you have any of the music running into the speakers? Or does the sound fill the entire front stage?

Second, can you hear the sound go outside of your speakers to the left and right. Meaning can you hear instruments beside you to the right about 6 or 7 feet out?

What I'd like to do is put your sound stage on top of mine and see if they are close to the same size wise. After that we can point to where the instruments are and their movement. I've got my guys started for the day so if you have time I can spend some time to going through a few things.

Is the stand between your speakers still there?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #63 on: 27 Nov 2012, 07:52 pm »

"BS" really guys?

My impulse is to scream "Yes, really!! Are you kidding us? Are you kidding yourself? Geez..."

Since "BS" does imply intention to deceive, and we don't know if you really believe what you are saying, perhaps this might be better defined as delusional claptrap - which provides you an income.

Speaking of delusional - I saw this in another thread where the poster was querying a left bias in his playback of vocals panned to center:
"Left drift is common among systems that have their wires on too tight."
To which someone replied
"to Michael Green - if tight wires cause movement to the left, is movement to the right a sympton of having a screw loose?  :D"

Delicious!

Michael, I hope you realize that for every response posted in this thread, there must be 100 tongues being bitten so hard they are bleeding.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2012, 01:25 am by Russell Dawkins »

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
    • MGA/RoomTune
« Reply #64 on: 27 Nov 2012, 08:03 pm »
My impulse is to scream "Yes, really!! Are you kidding us? Are you kidding yourself? Geez..."

Since "BS" does imply intention to deceive, and we don't know if you really believe what you are saying, perhaps this might be better defined as delusional claptrap - which provides you an income.

Speaking of delusional - I saw this in another thread where the poster was querying a left bias in his playback of vocals panned to center:
"Left drift is common among systems that have their wires on too tight."
To which someone replied
"to Michael Green - if tight wires cause movement to the left, is movement to the right a sympton of having a screw loose?  :D"

Delicious!

Michael, I hope you realize that for every response posted in this thread, there must be 100 tongues being bitten so hard they are bleeding.

I'd prefer to let the mods deal with the medical problems. I'm here to help people get more out of their system. If this angers you or others that's not really my thing. But before you bite all the way through you should know that I have your own members telling me thanks for being here and putting up with some of the comments.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #65 on: 27 Nov 2012, 09:58 pm »
I would like to nominate this thread for "Thread of the Year" honors.  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #66 on: 27 Nov 2012, 10:39 pm »
+1! 

sts9fan

« Reply #67 on: 27 Nov 2012, 11:02 pm »
So if I play a song for 6 hours my system will settle?
You are so full of it I can't believe it. You really need to go scam elsewhere.
Is the room tuning bowl market saturated? Maybe sell magic rocks?
Please list your gear in 40 paragraphs or less

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
    • MGA/RoomTune
« Reply #68 on: 27 Nov 2012, 11:43 pm »
I have no idea what ever made you guys so angry? Are you one of the mods?

mjosef

« Reply #69 on: 28 Nov 2012, 12:34 am »
Always OPEN to new ideas, and am trying to follow the OP 'tuning philosophy' but its getting kinda bogged down in the constant detractors...why not let the 'new guy' (new to AC) complete a trial run of his method before hanging him on the nearest willow tree?
When the proponents of MasterSet speaker positioning first showed up a similar set of 'skeptics' were out trying to save us from ourselves...but I found the MAsterSet techniques was in sync with the realities of the variety of rooms the average  audiophile lives in. And it was free to whomever took the time to experiment with the ideas put forth.
I don't 'see' this Michael Green MGA trying to extort money for sharing his 'tuning' ideas. As I see it he is offering it for free, and don't we all like free stuff? I sure do.  :lol:
I just hope Michael Green, (descendant of Moe Green?  :lol:) does not get discouraged by the few (vocal few) and wander off into the deserts of Nevada. Keep the info flowing, some of us are reading/listening.  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #70 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:17 am »

I'm not angry, and I'm all, er, ears.  It just seems to me that the posts are long on vagueness, and hyberbole.  Yes, we can be a cranky bunch.  Maybe our demographics suggest not too many years left so we get frustrated at long-winded articles.  :lol:   I gotta say they are a little tough to follow............... :scratch:

*Scotty*

« Reply #71 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:36 am »
One can quickly "cut to the chase" so to speak, by going to the MGA website and viewing his galleries and the list of his products and services.
It is easier reading than wading through this thread.
Scotty

JerryLove

« Reply #72 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:39 am »
Always OPEN to new ideas, and am trying to follow the OP 'tuning philosophy' but its getting kinda bogged down in the constant detractors...why not let the 'new guy' (new to AC) complete a trial run of his method before hanging him on the nearest willow tree?
I, for one, tried to do just that. I asked specific questions related to the claims at hand with specific examples.

Sadly, I got no specific answers. I've still not been given a single example of a source being out of tune (outputting the wrong frequency), nor a single adjustment that would change the frequency, nor any indication how one would recover lost dynamic range in a CD.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof... I'm still waiting for even a claimed theoretical framework which would allow that which is being described; much less ordinary proof.

jubal

« Reply #73 on: 28 Nov 2012, 01:45 am »
Hey guys,

I tried the audiophile way for twenty years and was never satisfied. I bought my first set of RoomTunes in the '90s, and they are the only piece of equipment that I have never changed out of my system. Michael knows what he's talking about, is a pioneer in the industry, and deserves respect. What he says works, if you listen and apply it patiently. Leave all the various audiophile "theories" of what should work on the side, take a chance and try something new and be open to the consequences.    8)

sts9fan

« Reply #74 on: 28 Nov 2012, 02:31 am »

Wow! A short post with a point!

borism

« Reply #75 on: 28 Nov 2012, 02:48 am »
I just listened to a public radio piece regarding a newly built organ at the Kennedy Center. The builder talked about "tuning" as something very easily accomplished in a short period of time but the more difficult problem being the "voicing" requiring a lot of adjustments of the organ pieces for the purpose of becoming musical. Could it be that Michael is talking about something analogous?

michael green MGA

• Industry Participant
    • MGA/RoomTune
« Reply #76 on: 28 Nov 2012, 03:22 am »
hi guys

Sorry this has been difficult for some of you. I'm also sorry that some are into disruption rather than constructive. I've been getting calls from friends in the industry saying "why am I bothering?". The answer is simple I know some of you want your system (even if it sounds great) to sound better if posible. I've looked at your systems, it's posible. but it's not going to happen if I have flamers pop up when I give practical suggestions that everyone should already know if they have played their system. And there is a big difference between plugging in your system and playing it.

On my site we basically lay your system out end to end and look at things that can be causing the signal traveling through the system to go out of tune. Out of tune is simple, it's distortion when you go too far one way or the other. Let me give you an example. Those of you who have contacted me today about your acoustics have all (every single one) said that you think you might be over dampening. Isn't that interesting? It does not take much to over do it in any part of the audio chain and we are a hobby that has way over done it. (flamers insert hate picture here) If I can show you for starters all the pieces of your systems that might be hurting it sound wise is that a bad thing? If not than stop gumming up the works and lets get down to some fun. You guys know what that is right? That's when you sit down and turn on your system and say wow that made a positive difference. Sorry, with all the AC BS you've handed out you had that coming.

Take a look at your system real quick without judging just do it. Is it over built? Look at your cable. Do they need to be that thick? How about I take you through your system and we look at the parts and you try a couple of things (whether you think I'm nuts or not) and if they don't work don't come up and look any more. If they do work, then my friend we are heading somewhere.

JerryLove

« Reply #77 on: 28 Nov 2012, 03:49 am »
I just listened to a public radio piece regarding a newly built organ at the Kennedy Center. The builder talked about "tuning" as something very easily accomplished in a short period of time but the more difficult problem being the "voicing" requiring a lot of adjustments of the organ pieces for the purpose of becoming musical. Could it be that Michael is talking about something analogous?
Instruments *do* need to be tuned. They *produce* music (as opposed to speakers which reproduce music).

Get your pipe a little too long, or short, or narrow, and the note it plays is the wrong one. We tune basically all musical instruments.

If you are working on a guitar and find out that what is supposed to be a 2khz note is 1.5khz, you tighten the string. (actually note frequencies pulled out of my butt for illustrative purposes)

sts9fan

« Reply #78 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:07 am »
Here is my system:
Rega P3-24
Ortofon 2M Black
Pass DIY Pearl Phono stage
Pass x1 pre
First Watt F5
GedLee Nathan loud speakers
All IC are blue jeans LC1
Speaker cables are canare quad star DIY

How shall I tune?

Please post at least one of your systems. Be as specific as I have.
If you are unable to do that I will delete this post.

PRELUDE

« Reply #79 on: 28 Nov 2012, 04:35 am »
Hi folks,
I have been reading this post from beginning and listen to a lot of music and had a lot of coffee also,so it could not be that bad. :thumb:
But unfortunately it is senseless when he does not want to name his set up and proof that he does not have enough trust in himself.
If I was him and my plan was to help the other folks out there.I would name the whole system of any kind or name and if it was something that has not been very well regarded then I would proud of myself that I could make such a change and share it with others not to hide it.