BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #620 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:09 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I did a quick look and the Thumbdrives I have used with good success are the Lexar (32G and 64G) and the Cruser (16G).  For what it's worth do not buy the thumbdrives that have all the interactive programs on them as they just clutter things up. Also look at the read/write times of the drives because some are greater than others and I find they load quicker.

On the USB Hard Drive side I have used Seagate 320 drives with good success and Western Digital.  I have tried a USB 3 drive but it did not seem to make any difference over the USB 2 drives.

I also have a USB NexStar 3 SSD drive for experimenting with.

Also if you find things like Recycle Bin or Data or Trash etc. showing up on the front panel display when your browsing or in your wireless interface you can get rid of them by going into the Folder Options on your computer and clicking on Show Hidden Files or Properties on the drive itself - and then delete them.

Hope this helps.

james

Napalm

« Reply #621 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:25 pm »
For those inclined to rather buy SDHC cards instead of USB keys, here's a classy combo:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=11_171&item_id=026322

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7010564&CatId=4552

Interesting that @ $2000 the BDP couldn't afford to have a SDHC card reader slot.

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #622 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:33 pm »
For those inclined to rather buy SDHC cards instead of USB keys, here's a classy combo:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=11_171&item_id=026322

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7010564&CatId=4552

Interesting that @ $2000 the BDP couldn't afford to have a SDHC card reader slot.

Nap.

Nap - why are you so negative?

james

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #623 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:37 pm »
There are multi-hub readers...

Such as this one from Transcend... it transcends really the need for an innternally mounted reader...  :thumb:

Sharkoon is another company that makes hub/readers that are really good! Remember that name!

Imp.

Napalm

« Reply #624 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:44 pm »

Nap - why are you so negative?

james

Trying to push towards the BDAP-1  :green:

Alpha10

« Reply #625 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:45 pm »
^^^^^

Maybe a multi-card reader is something you could consider adding to the BSSD-1 we were talking about before, giving even greater flexibility.

You never know might even cheer Nap up  :oops:

Napalm

« Reply #626 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:45 pm »
There are multi-hub readers...

Such as this one from Transcend... it transcends really the need for an innternally mounted reader...  :thumb:

Sharkoon is another company that makes hub/readers that are really good! Remember that name!

Imp.

All we need now is Werd to review the acoustic abilities of  different combos of SD cards / hubs / USB cable  :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #627 on: 6 Feb 2011, 03:59 pm »
Trying to push towards the BDAP-1  :green:

Good comeback :)

James

Imperial

« Reply #628 on: 6 Feb 2011, 05:19 pm »
There is a new standard for the SD cards... SDXC just about these days.
The Windows support is located in update: exFAT
ExFat is for insanely large storage volumes... hardly needed for audio purposes.  :roll:

If one should theorise...

Usb 3.0 port would be nice in a next gen "device", lots of chip options:
Intel, Nec, ASMedia, VIA, TI, Renesas that I'm aware of.
A SSD drive bay Maybe... but why? A properly executed USB3.0 port would rule!

Internal multicard reader thoughts...
Much better to add a USB 3.0 port, as it is usb 2.0 compatible as well...
Lots of docs and hubs and card readers out there... that connect via usb 2.0 and in the future usb 3.0!

My 2 cents..

Imp.

Phil A

« Reply #629 on: 6 Feb 2011, 05:51 pm »
I agree USB 3.0 would be nice.  I don't desperately need a new computer but I'm not that far off from a normal upgrade to something a little more up-to-date.  At this point in time USB 3.0 to me is a necessity as otherwise I may as wait a bit as I have no dire need.  My next PC will be more geared towards digitizing music.  I don't want to 'upgrade' to what will be somewhat dated technology at some point that is not that far off.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #630 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:11 pm »
I agree USB 3.0 would be nice.  I don't desperately need a new computer but I'm not that far off from a normal upgrade to something a little more up-to-date.  At this point in time USB 3.0 to me is a necessity as otherwise I may as wait a bit as I have no dire need.  My next PC will be more geared towards digitizing music.  I don't want to 'upgrade' to what will be somewhat dated technology at some point that is not that far off.

I am told by the engineering guys that USB 3 has no application in the BDP-1 given the data transfer speeds we are dealing with.

james

werd

« Reply #631 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:17 pm »
All we need now is Werd to review the acoustic abilities of  different combos of SD cards / hubs / USB cable  :lol:

Would love to but i can't.... took it back.

Phil A

« Reply #632 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:23 pm »
I am told by the engineering guys that USB 3 has no application in the BDP-1 given the data transfer speeds we are dealing with.

james

James, out of curiosity what size files have they tested or is it just theory they are referring to?  Where they referring to playback capability or loading of the files or both?

For my purposes, while my next PC will be geared towards digitizing music, I see no point to living with older technology when newer ones are now available.  Whether or not I use all the capabilities is another story.  I have about a 5 year Mac G5 tower I got used at a great deal and a Dell XPS machine.  While I don't feel I am lacking anything terribly for mainly surfing the web, I'd like to get the new PC in the near future and start concentrating on getting my music organized and stored so that an upgrade to something like the BDP-1 is an easier choice with all the software in place.

Phil A

« Reply #633 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:24 pm »
Would love to but i can't.... took it back.

I have a friend who honestly did an A/B comparison of solder so just go ahead and do it.  Don't worry, we'll chip in for any (non-acoustical treatment) padding needed for the room :green:

Imperial

« Reply #634 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:29 pm »

james

True, but a USB3.0 port would be able to power a wider range of devices connected to it.

Also, it is a async standard by nature... http://www.inno-logic.com/resourcesUSB3.html

However, one would have to wait untill april/may or something before one will see the entire picture of this new standard.
By then the main Linux distros and FreeBSD will have full usb3.0 support, and people are gonna start experimenting wildly with usb3.0.
You know, issues will arrise and by say August 2011 they will most likely be rectified.
then one could make an assessment say from a manufacture standpoint...
But of course, one should follow stuff along the line, I guess.

But yes... right now USB3.0 would be Audiophile Bling...  :D and for transfer purposes not really needed.

Imp.

werd

« Reply #635 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:30 pm »
Hi,

Yes I really feel doing one job and doing it well is the right approach.  The more you try to make a swiss army knife the more it takes away from performance
- or lets say that has been our experience so far.  We already had a state of the art DAC in the market and to build it into the BDP-1 would have simply added extra cost for many of our customers.  Also remember that the BDA-1 DAC has the ability to handle up to 8 different digital inputs which makes it much more versatile than a dedicated internal DAC.

The thing I really liked about the latest German review on the BDP-1 was the comments about going into the review with serious doubts about the product and concluding that this in fact is a great product and positioned so it can be the start of a great digital audio system.

Ultimately you listen and you tweek and you try to develop products that push the performance envelop as best you know how.  Its strictly up to the consumer to decide if you have succeeded or not.

THE DEMO IS EVERYTHING :thumb:

james

Yes and i would recommend getting rid of the led screen. After original startup its fricken useless. I would like an option that doesn't have the screen. Or at least be able to change what it says. Like - you werd are fantastic !!!! Or give yourself a pat on the back you deserve it.... Because like i said "there is no free lunch in digital playback". That screen gets amplified so there may as well be something on there that means something.

I remember when i fired up my bcd for the first time. It would not function and all it did was scroll across the led screen "tanner rules while werd drools". It wasn't until i figured out the sequence of commands on the remote was i able to set it back to default.  :icon_lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #636 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:34 pm »
Yes and i would recommend getting rid of the led screen. After original startup its fricken useless. I would like an option that doesn't have the screen. Or at least be able to change what it says. Like - you werd are fantastic !!!! Or give yourself a pat on the back you deserve it.... Because like i said "there is no free lunch in digital playback". That screen gets amplified so there may as well be something on there that means something.

I remember when i fired up my bcd for the first time. It would not function and all it did was scroll across the led screen "tanner rules while werd drools". It wasn't until i figured out the sequence of commands on the remote was i able to set it back to default.  :icon_lol:

Hi Werd - actually on the 'Settings' page in the BDP-1 homepage you can type in what you want the display to say on the bottom - engineering had a fun time with me with that feature when I was auditioning the various versions of the BDP-1 during the development stage :duh:

james

werd

« Reply #637 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:38 pm »
Hi Werd - actually on the 'Settings' page in the BDP-1 homepage you can type in what you want the display to say on the bottom - engineering had a fun time with me with that feature when I was auditioning the various versions of the BDP-1 during the development stage :duh:

james

love it  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #638 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:46 pm »
love it  :thumb:

By the way the front panel display and interface are totally independent of the data processing functions of the BDP-1 :thumb:  Even down to an independent power supply.

James

werd

« Reply #639 on: 6 Feb 2011, 06:59 pm »
By the way the front panel display and interface are totally independent of the data processing functions of the BDP-1 :thumb:  Even down to an independent power supply.

James

So then it will be cheaper.... right on...sold. :D