BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

vengky

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #440 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:56 am »
James

was trying to fit in the Black Cat Velose cable and the bnc connecter on the BDP broke  :cry:

Is there any way to repair this.

regards
VK

Welly123

« Reply #441 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:44 am »
I wish that were true unfortunately its not.  Your usb cable will affect the outcome of your playback if used between a HD and the bdp or a computer and a usb dac. I have tons of gear that has been money well spent. Using a generic usb cable between the HD and the bdp will make all those personal investments worthless. Its wrecks it bad when compared to usb designed for audio playback. Like i said it blurs all the tones. I am sorry you are not able to discern the difference, maybe its because  you don't have a bdp and you are just guessing or maybe your gear isn't resolving enough or maybe its you just don't care to hear it and you are stuck reciting usb protocol. Generic usb crap cables are not able to be used for playback. They work but they sound like crap....

Werd,

I have a BDP-1 and a very good system that has no issues resolving details. You need to learn a little about the various technologies involved, rather than just dishing-out insults. I have explained why there will be no difference relating to the BDP-1 and how it employs the USB interface, and explained why there could be a difference when using synchronous or asynchronous streaming from a source (PC/Mac) to a DAC. One of the primary benefits of the BDP-1 is that it uses the USB interface in such a way that the source data is not adversely impacted by the storage medium or data processing prior to the conversion from 1/0s to an audio signal in the sound card. The easiest method to prove this point is to compare an HDD source with a USB thumb drive…. i.e. the thumb drive has no USB cable.

Perhaps you would care to explain why you think you perceive a difference between the different USB cables?

Of course if you really think you can hear a difference, then by all means spend your money on an expensive silver conductor USB cable… or platinum plated cryogenically treated contacts on the thumb drive… your choice.

Regards

Russell

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #442 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:48 am »
James

was trying to fit in the Black Cat Velose cable and the bnc connecter on the BDP broke  :cry:

Is there any way to repair this.

regards
VK

Hi VK,

The connectors are soldered directly to the output board so it would have to come to service.

james

terrycym

« Reply #443 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:34 pm »
Proud owner of a new BDP-1 here in the UK
Next task is to buy some big thumb drives.

werd

« Reply #444 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:52 pm »
Werd,

I have a BDP-1 and a very good system that has no issues resolving details. You need to learn a little about the various technologies involved, rather than just dishing-out insults. I have explained why there will be no difference relating to the BDP-1 and how it employs the USB interface, and explained why there could be a difference when using synchronous or asynchronous streaming from a source (PC/Mac) to a DAC. One of the primary benefits of the BDP-1 is that it uses the USB interface in such a way that the source data is not adversely impacted by the storage medium or data processing prior to the conversion from 1/0s to an audio signal in the sound card. The easiest method to prove this point is to compare an HDD source with a USB thumb drive…. i.e. the thumb drive has no USB cable.

Perhaps you would care to explain why you think you perceive a difference between the different USB cables?

Of course if you really think you can hear a difference, then by all means spend your money on an expensive silver conductor USB cable… or platinum plated cryogenically treated contacts on the thumb drive… your choice.

Regards

Russell

The signal rides on current, its an electrical interface just like every other cable in your system. If you don't believe it try some out and find out for your self. The quality of usb will affect sound quality.... If you try and you can't hear difference then by all means use that 2 dollar cable.

Welly123

« Reply #445 on: 30 Jan 2011, 02:11 pm »
The signal rides on current, its an electrical interface just like every other cable in your system. If you don't believe it try some out and find out for your self. The quality of usb will affect sound quality.... If you try and you can't hear difference then by all means use that 2 dollar cable.

Dear Werd,

Please find attached, some suggestions so that you can get the best out of your new USB cable.  :wink:

Try this again, so it can be seen this time:

Werd’s Guide to Digital bliss with the Bryston BDP-1.
If the external USB cable makes such a big difference to your ears and in your system, then here are a few tips to ensure that you’re getting the best out of that expensive USB cable:
As the rear connectors are soldered directly to the system board, they will sound better than the front connectors which use “$2 cable”, so you will need to upgrade these internal cables too.

The main-board is a computer standard board (with some customisation by Bryston, eliminating non relevant components), but the connectors are not “audiophile standard”, replace with gold plated pin versions and ensure that high silver content solder is used.

The circuit board tracks from the USB connectors are computer standard as well, so recommend bypassing these completely using solid silver, or silver stranded oxygen-free, double screened cable from the connector to the memory and memory controller.

The crystals that determine the reference clocks are only computer standard as well, these should be replaced with a version that have better than 10ppm error rate to ensure that the music data is accurately read from the USB port.

This would be a good replacement for the master clock:

The memory is not soldered to the motherboard using high silver content solder, so it is advised that each chip is de-soldered then re-soldered using appropriate material. Toshiba memory is generally regarded as giving deeper, bass reproduction… but Samsung memory gives a more airy and spacious sound, so consider replacing the memory with audiophile quality versions.

The same is true with the processor, this does not use audiophile quality solder and should be de-soldered then re-soldered using appropriate material.

At this time you may also wish to consider an Intel processor because some audiophiles believe that they produce a more natural sound.
Now, once you have done all of this, and if it makes any difference at all to the sound quality… then perhaps it can do the same for your poor grasp of the English language and also work miracles with your grammar, capitalisation and punctuation.

Welly123

« Reply #446 on: 30 Jan 2011, 04:08 pm »

Werd,
Judging by the way you write, you sound quite young… whereas I’m an old music loving fart that’s been kicking around for more than a few decades, that happens to have City & Guilds, ONC and HNC qualifications in electronic engineering. I’ve been working around computers since Steve was barely eating Apples never mind building them and Bill hadn’t yet stolen DOS and put his brand on it, CPM was the OS of choice, 8” floppy drives with 360kB capacity and hard disk drives of 10 MB were the size of a desk.

Seriously though, you need to know why you bought a BDP-1, even if it’s only to impress your mates who don’t have one. Computers are noisy, in an acoustic and electrical sense, when connecting to a DAC using synchronous USB, the inaccurate and electrically noisy computer clock is used for data reference and the music stream is often limited to 16-bit 48kHz, or maybe at a stretch 24-bit 48kHz. The receiving DAC can do quite a lot to clean-up this “dirty” audio stream (re-clocking, jitter reduction, digital lens etc.) and a decent quality USB cable may also help. But the fact is that the music data has been changed and no matter what the DAC does, it is working with different data from the original. Asynchronous DACs eliminate the poor computer clock and use their own internal timing source, this improves things considerably and can allow 24-bit 192kHz audio stream and again, a decent USB cable can help. But the audio stream is still subjected to various noise sources that change the music data.

The clever guys at Bryston came up with a better solution… build a simple computer, eliminate unnecessary circuitry (and therefore electrical noise), put in a decent power supply and don’t corrupt the music data in the first place. Simply read the raw data from the source (HDD, Flash drive, thumb drive etc.) using simplified software in a stable OS and feed the raw data to a simplified sound card, let the sound card translate to an audio stream using its high precision clocks and output to the DAC using the best available digital interfaces. In this way there is no need to clean-up the music data before the DAC does its job. The principle: don’t mess-up the data then have to correct it.

Spending money on the USB cable connecting the USB drive to the computer won’t do any harm, but it can’t do any good either… better to spend more money on the AES/EBU or BNC cable where the data is now a music stream, and can be influenced by the conductors, environment and other factors.

Regards

Russell

Napalm

« Reply #447 on: 30 Jan 2011, 04:08 pm »
Also replace all the capacitors with Auricaps, eh?

:icon_twisted:

Napalm

« Reply #448 on: 30 Jan 2011, 04:12 pm »
Werd,
Judging by the way you write, you sound quite young…

I'd say that he sounds like a cable dealer.....

Nap.  :lol:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #449 on: 30 Jan 2011, 04:58 pm »
The crystals that determine the reference clocks are only computer standard as well, these should be replaced with a version that have better than 10ppm error rate to ensure that the music data is accurately read from the USB port.

This would be a good replacement for the master clock:

Actually, changing the clock into the one you suggest will definitely make a difference. I am quite surprised there is just a basic clock in there, and I wonder why the technicians at Bryston did not put in this much better one...
As for cables... Try before you buy (but you can't go wrong with Nordost).

werd

« Reply #450 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:21 pm »
Welly123

RU done jisming all over this board ?. Cuz if you are you can go and try some different usb cables and maybe respond with some real experience on it. I would actually like to hear what you say on the differences or if any. There are many people here who are not interested in this form of overlording that seems to be your way of communication.

Napalm

« Reply #451 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:41 pm »
Cuz if you are you can go and try some different usb cables and maybe respond with some real experience on it.

Here's real experience: All my computers are reading exactly the same sequence of 0s and 1s when reading the same external drive, regardless of the make of the USB cables, and I have quite a large collection of them.

Nap.

werd

« Reply #452 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:43 pm »
Here's real experience: All my computers are reading exactly the same sequence of 0s and 1s when reading the same external drive, regardless of the make of the USB cables, and I have quite a large collection of them.

Nap.

Napalm your ears are capable of hearing a difference. What are you using for a usb dac?. Do you have bda?

Napalm

« Reply #453 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:46 pm »
Napalm your ears are capable of hearing a difference. What are you using for a usb dac?. Do you have bda?

Do I need an USB DAC?

Nap.

werd

« Reply #454 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:51 pm »
Do I need an USB DAC?

Nap.

Well you should have one if you are going to try and form a point of view on the differences or no differences.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #455 on: 30 Jan 2011, 10:52 pm »
does anyone knows what kind of processor is used on the BDP-1's mainboard? any specs...??

al.

Napalm

« Reply #456 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:00 pm »
does anyone knows what kind of processor is used on the BDP-1's mainboard? any specs...??

al.

My guess is a Marvell Kirkwood series.

Nap.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #457 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:03 pm »
My guess is a Marvell Kirkwood series.

Nap.

thanks, Nap. and do you know any specs?
btw, i've never heard about Kirkwood processors...are they common in the Hifi domain?

al.

Napalm

« Reply #458 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:03 pm »
Well you should have one if you are going to try and form a point of view on the differences or no differences.

Werd, why don't you go spend the night outside wearing only underpants, it will make you hear celestial music.

nap.

werd

« Reply #459 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:04 pm »
Werd, why don't you go spend the night outside wearing only underpants, it will make you hear celestial music.

nap.

Tell me more Nap !!