Looking to Purchase 46-47" LED TV

bacobits1

Looking to Purchase 46-47" LED TV
« on: 27 Dec 2010, 10:28 pm »
Anyone have a particular modelthey have or like?
I will be purchasing around New Years.
Does anyone like Sharp Quato 810 I think it is. No 3 D.
There are way too many models out there.

D

Big Red Machine

Re: Looking to Purchase 46-47" LED TV
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2010, 10:34 pm »
I just bought a Samsung LCD, the 46 inch and am super impressed with it.  The LED's are more dough but not sure I would appreciate it for casual TV watching. 

I was going to buy another Toshiba but I missed the sale at Sears so started looking at other models and did side-by-side comparo at Meijers and the Samsung was as good or better in all categories.  Then they went on sale at Sears so I grabbed one.

Are you definitely headed for the LED technology?

bacobits1

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2010, 10:53 pm »
Well, the LED's cost on average $300+ more and up, way up with bigger screens.
Between 3 LED's I looked at before XMas, Sharp, Samsung and a Sony, They were damn close. The Samsung was maybe a bit better. Actually, thinking about it all 3 would be calibrated different to look a bit different anyway. Well, it was explained the blacker the background the better.

I was in Sam's 2 weeks ago and looked at a Samsung LED running a Blue Ray Avatar and it was stunning! I never seen anything that good.
All thjis get very confusing. I saw that Sahr 810 running a blue ray and it was great too.

I should go the cheaper route because TV really SUCKS big time.
I currently have a 4 year old LCD Panasonic HD Viera 37".

D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2010, 11:24 pm »
Here's something we all see in this new TV and with different sources it still shows up:  a real, you-are-there picture.  It's kinda creepy sometimes as if you are actually sitting in the scene.  I notice this on Directv and Bluray both.

A stunning picture and I am glad I missed the Toshiba sale.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2010, 11:31 pm »
I would go Vizio or Samsung.

Stay away from Sharp, Sony, and Toshiba.  All three have either quality, performance, or value challenges when compared to the Vizio and Samsung.  If you got a killer deal on a few different LG models, that could be an option as well.

George

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2010, 11:37 pm »
If off angle viewing is an issue, you might want to check out a Panasonic plasma as well.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2010, 11:45 pm »
I have had a SONY 46"....KDL-46V5100 its probably considered older now but I love it, I use it all day, all night, gaming with PS3, movies, sports, crisp and bright no hiccups. Its 1080P, 120hz I think, anyway they are probably not the popular in model or mfg. but it works well and has an excellent picture, check out the SONY's at least when your out looking. My two cents...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2010, 11:55 pm »
If off angle viewing is an issue, you might want to check out a Panasonic plasma as well.

That would be my choice as well.

I didn't recommend it since the OP asked for an LED TV.

George

bacobits1

« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2010, 12:08 am »
No, that is fine I'm looking at all of it, Plasma, LCD, and LED. No DLP.

Keep em coming. On the blue rays and some canned video they use in stores it really is vivid so much so you can see the pores in someones face. You can almost touch them.
If there are issues with a particular model or make let me know.
No off angle viewing really and it won't be moved from the spot over the fireplace. So the super thin LED models are not necessary.

D

bummrush

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:24 am »
Realy do consider Plasma when it comes to pic clarity and off veiwing axis is no comparison prices can't be beat on some Panasonics.I have a 42 inch Hitachi and couldn't be happier and thats still after using it for 3,4 years.

mshan

« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2010, 02:46 am »
It's not LED backlight, but supposed to have a great picture:  Samsung LN46C630.

Samsung is supposed to integrate Google TV into some of it's tvs next year if you can wait.

Jon L

« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:33 am »
I would get a Samsung or Panasonic plasma.  More accurate and pleasing colors and usually cheaper than LED.

tvyankee

« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:55 am »
Hey,

Whatever you do buy try and get a deal on the extended warranty.  Its worth it.  A lot of these flat pannels burn out all the time.  The power supplies are built like shit.  Good luck.

bacobits1

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2010, 01:46 pm »
Anyone buy from Amazon? Good prices, free shipping, 30 day money back returns, and really a better selection. This is Amazon direct not through one of their vendors.

At Best Buy and hh Gregg your stuck with what they stock and want to move.

Plasma seems the least popular because of buzzing noise complaints? Also, Panasonic only makes like 3 in 46 " more in the 42". Plasma seems to go to the larger sizes.

Yes, there are different LED configurations. Edge lit technology and back lit. Back lit is more expensive 2X at least in the Sony's XBR models. $2k and up even for a 47" LED. TV to me is not worth that much.

I have heard of purchasing the extended warranty on the flat screens.

CNet reviews and places like that are not really too helpful on recommendations, it's just a starting point.

If anything I will steer towards Samsung. They are one of the largest screen producers. I have a 20" SyncMaster 912n monitor here I'm using for almost 5 years without a problem and its got great resolution.

Keep them coming.

THANKS!

D

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #14 on: 28 Dec 2010, 02:58 pm »
You might want to check out the AVS Forum for advice as well. Of course, you may get more than you really need or want over there.  :lol:

bacobits1

« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2010, 10:08 pm »
AVS? You mean AVA forum?

D

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2010, 10:35 pm »
AVS? You mean AVA forum?

D

Nope avsforum.com

That is one of the best places to find out info on A/V, HT, etc...

George

bacobits1

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2010, 11:00 pm »
I got it. Thanks. Been there way in the past.
I'll check it out.

D

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2010, 11:16 pm »
And beware, those threads are looooooonnnnnngggggg.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2010, 02:27 am »
And beware, those threads are looooooonnnnnngggggg.
:lol: Yes, and your thread will be on the third page by the end of the day.  :lol: