Entry Level HDMI Receiver recommendations

mcgsxr

Re: Entry Level HDMI Receiver recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2010, 03:32 pm »
Does appear to be, and on their website I can opt to ship to Canada, for $76, and it does not specify by what provider - should that be UPS standard, I would face fees upwards of $45-$70 from past experience, which would make the deal less attractive for sure.

I will call them up, and see if they can advise what firm they use to ship to Canada.

Very odd that their website vs eBay store rules about shipping are not congruent...

srb

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:42 pm »
Very odd that their website vs eBay store rules about shipping are not congruent...

Nor their pricing.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:52 pm »
Steve and Phil,

Thanks for the feedback on 4 and 8 ohm outputs. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:39 pm »
There is a local Craigslist guy with a factory sealed Denon AVR 689 for CDN$340.

I will see if I can stretch the budget, or if I can find some kit to sell off, to afford it, if it looks to be the right unit after some research.

It does support one cable connection for 3 HDMI sources (ie sound and video) and upconverts (not an issue for me at present), and does have the external mic for setup.

More functions than I need, but with limited options...

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:58 pm »
Mark,
The Denon is an AVR590. It retailed for $350, but the gal at BB gave him $50 off, for no apparent reason. He didn't see any sale signs, so not sure why that happened, but obviously there's some "play room" in the price.

Here's the specs:
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4881.asp

Packed with advanced audio and video processing functions, the AVR-590 includes the latest high resolution audio decoders, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. As well, the AVR-590 is one of the first to include Dolby’s new Pro Logic IIz decoding, which provides front channel height effects, to dramatically increase the front soundstage for the ultimate surround sound experience. Top audio fidelity is assured with the Audyssey MultEQ room acoustic measurement and correction system, which analyzes the speakers and the listening room at up to six measurement points (microphone included) and automatically corrects the response for the smoothest, most natural tonal balance. Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ ensure even tonal balance at any volume level with no annoying volume jumps during commercial interruptions. With three HDMI inputs and two HD-compatible component inputs, the AVR-590 features analog-to-digital HDMI video conversion, allowing a single HDMI cable run to your HDTV, simplifying connections and minimizing cable costs at the same time. You can also connect and control your iPod/touch or iPhone using one of Denon’s available iPod/iPhone docks, which provides on-screen artist, album and song information.

Don_S

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2010, 06:05 pm »
Bob,

Regarding the extra $50 off your friend got at BB.  Maybe they were matching their online price.  I had that happen at Circuit City once.  I was looking at a DVR and the sales associate told me she thought they were on sale online.  She checked the CC online price and matched it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2010, 06:27 pm »
That's a very good possibility Don.

OzarkTom

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jan 2010, 01:03 am »
Looks like they ripped me on Ebay. I guess I need to give them a call.

Tom

When I go directly to the dakmart.com website, I see this refurbished Denon AVR-589 listed for $129.98.  http://www.dakmart.com/product_info.php?products_id=11039&osCsid=tv039afkpcg28n5237k80goid5

Is this the same unit?

Steve

mcgsxr

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jan 2010, 08:34 pm »
Hope it goes well for you OzarkTom.

Back to my original point, doing some research on AVSForums, it appears that it might actually not be possible to output digital audio from the X1 display, when connecting via HDMI.

So, the old Panny SAXR-15 receiver might not be toast - it simply might be being fed a crap signal (on purpose) by the plasma.

Thread posted here - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17965890&posted=1#post17965890

I might be able to connect the dvd player and satellite box via digital input to the SAXR, and use a universal remote to control it all, so that my wife can use just the 1 remote.

Cheaper than an HDMI receiver too.

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm »
Turns out the receiver is toast.  I tried connecting the dvd and satellite via coax, toslink, and analog inputs.  Still out has pulses of static along with the source sound material.

Ah well, back to the search for a cheap receiver!

acresm22

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jan 2010, 12:46 am »
Mark, take a look at the Harman Kardon AVR 154. Several factory refurbs are for sale on ebay right now. I'm following a few of those listings myself...the price seems right.

Dan

mcgsxr

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jan 2010, 02:56 pm »
Thanks for the heads up on the HK, one of my brothers runs a big HK receiver in his HT, no complaints there.

In reviewing the specifics of that unit, the power (30wpc) might not quite be enough for the room and config, for me though.

The local Best Buy has the Pioneer VSX-819H-K $100 off at the moment, and reviewing the specs of that unit (auto speaker setup with mic, on screen display, 110wpc <though I suspect that number might be a little inflated>) I think it fits the bill nicely.

I am also suddenly in posession of a Best Buy gift card too, so that is pushing me to a local purchase vs eBay (though I have 120+ transactions on eBay, so I am familiar with what deals can be found there).

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2010, 12:09 am by mcgsxr »

mcgsxr

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jan 2010, 12:11 am »
Brought home the Pioneer, but having troubles getting it up and running.

Can you believe that the on screen display during setup cannot be displayed via the HDMI connection?  The manual says I have to set it up via component (don't have any) or composite (don't have one long enough) in order to use OSD.

WTF?

Might be returning this, and picking up the entry level Onkyo - setup at eg1's place was a snap by comparison...

mcgsxr

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jan 2010, 02:49 am »
Hmmn, what a strange thing.

The Pioneer will not output the on screen display at all via HDMI.

I had to carry an old 26 inch tv to the family room, hook it up via composite, and run the setup.

Now the amp is producing sound via hdmi inputs, and seems to be doing what it should.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 23 Jan 2010, 03:16 am »
 :roll: Yea..... My $1,600 Harman Kardon won't output OSD via ANY output other than composite.
Yes, you read that correctly..... C*O*M*P*O*S*I*T*E........  :duh:
{That's the stupid little yellow wire, for you hi-tech guys that don't know}
So in my case, that's another 30' run of cable from the receiver to the projector.
You'd think in this day and age...... :roll:
I feel your pain Brother.

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2010, 12:53 pm »
I bought a SONY STR-DH800 a few months back at BB for like $299, its 7.1 at 100W per and has the auto-calibration mic, I love it, only use it as 5.1 but its got Bi-amp functionality so that extra set of outs can be set to bi-amp the front sends. I use all HDMI connections and grin everytime I turn it on..sounds nice, alot of options and power for relatively cheap...Good luck on your search!!

mcgsxr

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2010, 02:26 pm »
I considered the Sony, it looks to be a good piece.

The Pioneer is up and running well now, moving my attention to customizing and optimizing the Logitech Harmony 880 to run it all...

The only downside, as Bob points out, is that a composite connection must be used to view the on screen display - ever.  Of course, had i know that when I was running wires through the wall, I would have gladly run one... but now I have to buy one, and leave it coiled up behind the receiver, so that when I need to view the OSD, I don't need to carry my old CRT upstairs ever again!

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #37 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:40 am »
Sonically, I almost always preferred the Yamaha receivers.