What would you do for 5.1 best sound?

randog

« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2004, 06:22 am »
Never mind... I just did a search here on the Panasonic SA-XR45 and got an earful. Boy, I guess I've really had my head in the sand the last month!

Very interesting stuff... that might fit the bill quite nicely... not sure what I'd do with my Khartago tho...

Randog

witchdoctor

« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2004, 04:49 pm »
I upgraded from a midpriced Denon receiver to a Sunfire TG3. The upgrade is significant and well worth the extra $. I would buy the Outlaw separates before I would purchase a flagship receiver as they are both around the same price. But if you don't have good speakers it shouldn't make as much difference.

audionutter

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2004, 04:12 pm »
I reckon you guys in US should have a listen to Tag McLaren's AV32R pre-processor. Better than Bryston's SP1.7, better than Lexicon and Meridian. Best thing is it is also cheaper!

Website is www.tagmclaren.com in case you have never heard of them and don't know who their US dealers are.

randog

« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2004, 05:22 pm »
Quote from: witchdoctor
I upgraded from a midpriced Denon receiver to a Sunfire TG3. The upgrade is significant and well worth the extra $. I would buy the Outlaw separates before I would purchase a flagship receiver as they are both around the same price. But if you don't have good speakers it shouldn't make as much difference.

Yes, I've read about the TG3. Unfortunately, the older TG models don't seem to have the sonics that the new one has and as of this time, it's out of my reach. My speakers are good, with Ellis 1801's as mains and GR-R AV-1's as surrounds.

Because of the advent of DPLII, many older processors are now dirt cheap. I'm still pondering this, but if I settle for DD and DTS as my main surround requirements, I should be able to get a pre/pro that does fantastic 2-channel for a song... or at least not much more than a serious 2-channel preamp. I'm talking about mfgr's that are already known for their 2-channel sonics. Since I'm still in the market for both 2-channel and HT pre's, combining them with an older processor that has fantastic sonics is still appealing (older $5K pre/pros are in the $1500 neighborhood or less).

Quote from: audionutter
I reckon you guys in US should have a listen to Tag McLaren's AV32R pre-processor. Better than Bryston's SP1.7, better than Lexicon and Meridian. Best thing is it is also cheaper!

Website is www.tagmclaren.com in case you have never heard of them and don't know who their US dealers are.

Better is a strong word in such a subjective arena. Care to clarify what makes it better? Truly interested in hearing more about it in quantitative means. Thanks.

Randog

witchdoctor

« Reply #24 on: 22 Feb 2004, 02:17 pm »
Randog,
I think PL2 is very important. I would not get a unit without it.
Have you considered the Outlaw processor? Less than $1000, 30 day return policy, and based on what I heard at the audio show in NY, it rocks!
Read the reviews at ecoustics.com, just do a search on Outlaw.

Re: Tag, check out the review in this monthe Stereophile Guide to HT.

audionutter

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2004, 08:09 am »
Well, better as in better sound when I auditioned it compared to the Bryston, Meridian and Lexicon, although not all at the same time. Which is why I ended up buying the AV32R instead of the others. Haven't read the latest Stereophile HT guide yet, but what does it say about the AV32R's bigger brother, the AV192?

witchdoctor

« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2004, 01:41 pm »
The review is actually of the AV192r. It was very favorable. No doubt that this is a great sounding unit. I'm glad the company didn't go under as rumored. Would have made upgrades a little difficult!

audionutter

« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2004, 10:58 pm »
Yeah, the rumours of them going under was started by one shop with links to another UK manufacturer of "mid-market" hi-fi/HT stuff. Perhaps some sort of professional jealousy even though their product lineups weren't quite comparable? Needless to say, that shop no longer is a dealer for Tag McLaren audio. Got the info as it unfurled on Tag's website as well as other internet sites. Considering it is part of the international McLAren group of companies which range from Formula 1 racing to luxury watch maker Tag Heuer, it's a bit hard to believe it will just dissappear, isn't it?

The AV192 got good reviews from Stereophile, huh? Not surprising cos it is a very good product, the difference between it and the more "audio" based AV32R DP is that the 192 offers video switching, scaler, rs232 controller and some other stuff which I can't remember off the top of my head. Doesn't look as nice visually as the more slimline AV32R though.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #28 on: 28 Feb 2004, 08:55 am »
Quote from: randog
Better is a strong word in such a subjective arena. Care to clarify what makes it better? Truly interested in hearing more about it in quantitative means. Thanks.

Randog
   DD & DTS is great for movies but that's about it. If you want multichannel entertainment from TV shows, sports, CD's, albums, tapes, etc,,,, you NEED Dolby Pro Logic 2,,,, PERIOD. Listen to Witchdoctor, he's a multichannel enthusiest as am I and we know what we're talking about. That said tho, since I've upgraded to a higher end system, I'm listening to more 2 channel than I ever have before. Damn good sonics from that Sunfire TG3. :D And with that TG4 out now, the price of the TG3 should not only drop, there should be more used TG3's showing up at A'gon. And while we're on the sunject of 5 channel, the optimum sonic system would be 5 matching speakers. Don't believe for a second that it doesn't make a difference in the rear. From a sonics point of view, having the same speakers is EVERYTHING. And to me, the system sonics in multichannel is EVERYTHING when it comes to perfection. Regards, Robin

witchdoctor

« Reply #29 on: 28 Feb 2004, 02:09 pm »
I agree. One thing I would add is to use room treatment. It really makes a differnc=ece with multi-channel.

greve

« Reply #30 on: 28 Feb 2004, 08:49 pm »

I have my AV32R-192 for sale (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8241) in case someone has been convinced by audionutter...

audionutter

« Reply #31 on: 29 Feb 2004, 12:22 am »
How come you're selling? Upgrading to DP?

greve

« Reply #32 on: 29 Feb 2004, 08:48 am »
How come you're selling? Upgrading to DP?

I bought my AV32R-192 by mistake - I thought it was the "bp" version, which I need for DVD-Audio. I think TMA charges too much for the "bp" upgrade as a stand-alone upgrade, so I think it is better to sell this one to someone who don't need "bp" and then find myself an AV32Rbp-192. Maybe it doesn't work at a great difference, but I'll try anyway and see how it goes... :?

So in essence, I'm very happy with the TAG McLaren AV32R-192 and I will buy another one, if I sell the one I have now. A bit like being happy with your car and just sell to get a newer but similar one...

scooter

Re: What would you do for 5.1 best sound?
« Reply #33 on: 9 Mar 2004, 12:19 pm »
Quote from: randog
As I get closer to getting my HT together, I've got a pretty basic question:

If my setup is 5.1 only, would it make better sense to get an older processor with maybe just Dolby Digital and DTS but without all the newer formats that I won't use and with the best sound I can afford?

I currently have an Outlaw 1050 that I was going to use for processing and surround amplification. Would I be better served by an older Lexicon processor or something along that vein?

Processors that can only do DD and DT ...

Personally I would wait for another year and keep your Outlaw 1050 for now. The main reason is that DVD Players, Recievers and PrePro's are just adding DVI and HDMI support and in my view this is the biggest advance for both audio and video.

DVI is superior to component video as in most DVD players the system takes the digital signal and then converts it to the analog signal, component, SVideo etc. In the case of Progressive scan players there is no conversion as the data is stored on the DVD in progressive format which is what component video uses (I hope I got that right), but at the projector/TV end it has to be converted again in most cases (if you are using LCD, Plasma, DLP). So to get the best image quality you would need a Player that could output to DVI and a display device that could accept eithet DVI or HDMI (DVI to HDMI converters are available), this means that no conversions occur and no losses hence a better quality picture as a result.

Next we get to HDMI, at present there is no real standard for transmitting high resolution audio data in digital form that is until HDMI. Very soon DVD players will come fitted with HDMI as standard. It is a standard by the way that is being enforced so any machine with HDMI can output to any other machine that can accept HDMI guaranteed unlike the previous firewire standards used in most existing players which is more brand specific and incompatiable. This standard will allow for 6 channel high resolution audio to be transmitted as well as a 1080i resolution video image.

In the case of second hand high end sound processors I would look at the Parasound C2. It is IMO one of the best Home Theater Processors out there and can also act as an outstanding two channel upsampling preamp as well. I also know that there will be an upgrade in the future to support DVI & HDMI.

Take your time and choose wisely, with a long term strategy in mind. This way you will not be constantly upgrading and consuming money.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #34 on: 5 Apr 2004, 02:20 am »
Can't agree more. The C2 from Parasound is a great unit and upgradable.

Audionutter.....I think I read in What Hi-fi and HI-Fi news that TagMaclaren was going bankrupt also.....or being bought out?????

Any links to the "real deal" but also agree a great unit .

Larry

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #35 on: 5 Apr 2004, 02:37 am »
Audionutter,

How about the little company called Arcam and the av-8 pre/pro....excellent is everyway.....

Larry