New Samsung LED TV

Levi

New Samsung LED TV
« on: 24 Apr 2009, 11:46 am »
Anyone owns any Samsung's new LED tv?  I was at BB and really liked it.  It may be time to upgrade my 720P Plasma.  :scratch:

Samsung UN55B6000 LED TV
Samsung UN55B7000 LED TV
Samsung UN55B7100 LED TV

They seem to have more in common than difference.  AVSforum tells me that the display technology are the same.  Some difference in media 2.0/internet capabilities.

--Levi

MaxCast

Re: New Samsung LED TV
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:23 pm »
I saw one at BB too.  It is super thin and looked great to me.  Almost twice the price of a plasma.  I would love at add a 50-60 incher to the basement.

Mr Content

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:49 pm »
Looks very nice, wait a year and they will be worthwhile  :thumb:

Mr C :D

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:11 pm »
3,000,000:1 contrast ratio!  :thumb:

40% less energy consumption +1 :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:17 pm »
3,000,000:1 contrast ratio!  :thumb:

40% less energy consumption +1 :)

Double the price of a same sized plasma.  -2   !!

George

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:50 pm »
Sony LED costs even more.  I was told that Samsung makes the LED Panels for Sony. 

I paid $3500 for me 50" Pany Plasma 720p three years ago. 

My Denon 3800BDCI is yearning for a new 1080p display. :)

The new Samsung LED 55" is about the same price.  I can probably get a 7Series 55" LED for @$2999.  Definitely this is an upgrade for me. 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:58 pm »
Sony LED costs even more.  I was told that Samsung makes the LED Panels for Sony. 

I paid $3500 for me 50" Pany Plasma 720p three years ago. 

My Denon 3800BDCI is yearning for a new 1080p display. :)

The new Samsung LED 55" is about the same price.  I can probably get a 7Series 55" LED for @$2999.  Definitely this is an upgrade for me. 

I am seeing prices of the SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV around $3200 delivered, so $3k is certainly doable and isn't almost double the cost of a plasma (sorry about going with that).

However, I am not exactly seeing killer reviews on the Samsung.  Here is a snippet of one review:

The good: Produces relatively deep black levels; accurate color; very good dejudder processing; sleek styling with 1.2-inch thick panel; extensive feature set with Yahoo widgets, network streaming, and a lot of built-in content; extremely energy-efficient.

The bad: Expensive; less-uniform screen than other LCDs; poor off-angle viewing; backlight fluctuates with program brightness; dark areas tinged bluer; shiny screen can cause reflections in bright rooms; red frame isn't for everyone.

The bottom line: Although its picture quality can't quite live up to the high price, the Samsung UNB7000 series is a technological and design tour de force.

Why not get the best picture quality and grab a Pioneer Kuro at a great price?

George

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:14 pm »
I checked the Pioneer Kuro and they come with 50", 60".  I like the 60"  but it is way over my budget. 

I really like the Sony LED TV but it is way too much.  I figured the Samsung is a cheaper alternative. 

I would wait awhile, I know definitely the prices will come down when the UN55B8000 LED 240hz TV comes out.

Thanks George.

--Levi

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:57 pm »
I checked the Pioneer Kuro and they come with 50", 60".  I like the 60"  but it is way over my budget. 

Check the Panny plasmas. Damn near as good as the Kuros and a lot less expensive.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2009, 04:03 pm »

Check the Panny plasmas. Damn near as good as the Kuros and a lot less expensive.

Good suggestion Dan.

While even the newest Panny plasmas won't match the performance of the Kuro, they are supposed to be very nice.

George

china

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2009, 04:19 pm »
You may want to try "Newegg.com" for a better deal????

nicksgem10s

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:26 pm »
I just went and checked out the new Sammy LED sets last weekend.  I know the showroom conditions are not the best to compare sets but I left very underwhelmed by their picture quality.

I read several threads on AVS and most people who own them feel that their advantages are that the LED are so thin they will fit where other television technologies will not.  They are also flamethrower bright with some serious contrast/sharpness.

From what I read and what I saw it looks like it has a couple of positives being how thin it is and how bright.  I read many comments from videophiles about suffering a lot of eye fatigue when watching the LED sets for more than one hour.

It does not look like they offer better picture quality than the higher quality plasma and lcd panels.

The new Panasonic 1080p plasma sets look to be the value leader.  I was very impressed with the newest high-end Sammy LCD panels and have been a fan of the Sony XBR lcd sets for years.

I was helping a family friend look for his first HDTV and ended up spending several hours comparing sets. 

I think HDTV technology has advanced to the point there deciding between LCD, plasma, and now maybe LED comes down to viewing habits, viewing/seating angles, and budget.  I know there are LCD & plasma sets that I would be very happy to own that are fairly affordable. 

I think the LED is a very new technology for HDTV that will need some time to mature to potentially take advantage of its lighting method for improved real world contrast.

rockadanny

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:26 pm »
To me, the LEDs produce (nearly) three-dimensional images. Plasmas and LCDs, no matter how good, still look just two-dimensional. Plasmas and LCDs look fake and boring in comparison. Crap! :banghead: No way I can buy a non LED TV now. I'll just have to wait until the prices come down on LEDs. Gives me a chance to save up. Viva la difference, eh?

JP78

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2009, 08:30 pm »
a bit of a sidebar, but (according to pioneer) kuro displays consume 40-50% less energy than standard plasmas.  that's all...carry on :).
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2009, 07:04 am by JP78 »

Levi

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2009, 01:21 pm »
Just to update.  I settled for SAMSUNG UN55B7100 onsale at BB + Free delivery.

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2009, 04:47 am »
Update:  I took delivery of my NEW UN55B7100!  It still needs break-in and ISF calibration but out from the cold, the picture is 3D like.  The picture quality is the best that I have seen!  This could be the future?  Only time can tell :thumb:

I didn't see the reported red frame (mine is clear), less-uniform screen, backlight issues and the dark areas tinged bluer that some reviewers mentioned.  However, I did see slight change in color when viewed on extreme angle.  Despite it's minor flaws, it is still not going to be returned.  I paid extra for the extended warranty as you never know what may happen down the road.

You will see a comparison between my old Plasma display and my new LED TV.  They are both played using Hell Boy II Blu-Ray.

Plasma vs LED

Again, Plasma vs LED

Finally,

These pictures are rough comparison and resized 50% for the internet.  Remember my screen is 55" big so I see more detail when you maximize the images to a 100%.

Highly recommended. :thumb:

--Levi

WerTicus

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2009, 06:28 am »
LED is an LCD btw.. its just the backlight technology is LED vs CFL... basically LED's are whiter, brighter, and can do local area contrast adjustment which is how they come up with bullshit figures like 7 tillion : 1 contrast. (real contrast is 1000:1)

Being that they are whiter you get the entire colour reproduction being a lot better.  There are some newer CFL technologies that came out just after LED that are just about as capable for less money.

LED isnt the future SED is :P  which is a CRT tube per pixel., all the sharpness and flicker advantages of LCD but all the colour and contrast advantages of CRT will destroy any current screen technology.

SED next to an LCD (real contrast of SED is 10x that of LED LCD)

Anyway the tv above looks pretty nice :)
I think ill stick with my $200 720p crt for a while.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 7 May 2009, 10:48 am »
I was rooting for SED until legal issues arose on top of other issues causing the technology to be dropped.

Has anyone heard something new that I am unaware of?

dhrab

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2009, 01:59 pm »
#################################################
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2009, 10:35 am by dhrab »

sendler

Great screen shots
« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2009, 03:12 pm »
Update:  I took delivery of my NEW UN55B7100!  It still needs break-in and ISF calibration but out from the cold, the picture is 3D like.  The picture quality is the best that I have seen!

Highly recommended. :thumb:

--Levi
Great screen shots! The new set looks fantastic.