Any one buy new Blu-ray player lately?

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
Re: Any one buy new Blu-ray player lately?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Aug 2012, 05:16 pm »
with OPPO you can also update with a CD that they will send you after you have registered your player with them. They send an e mail giving you the option. I have had 2 updates in approx 1 1/2 yrs

Bemopti123

« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2012, 06:47 pm »
On the PS3, I get a message periodically that tells me they've got an update ready for me.
I click [ok], the download begins, and that's all it takes.
To date, none of the updates have caused any glitches or aggravation.

I *think* you have to have an account???  :scratch:
The updates are free, and happen about twice a year from what I can remember.

Bob

I love the games and the visuals on my PS3 slim but I am quite bothered about the playback capabilities of the PS3 when it comes to playing non standard DVDs and files, which the Oppos can do NP.  It is unforgivable that the PS3 with its seamless updates is unable to play such DVDs.  Interestingly enough, the DVDs I mentioned that are unplayable on the PS3 are playable in the regular Sony BD player, which is newer, in my friend's place. 

All physical DVD media player companies need to get their technology up to snuff as virtual files future is all that is seen in the next 5-10 years.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 18 Aug 2012, 06:56 pm »
What do you mean "non standard DVDs and files"?

2gumby2

« Reply #23 on: 19 Aug 2012, 01:04 am »
I do not own the Oppo or Sony players under discussion.  But, I'd be interested just how you go about installing a firmware update when necessary.  Thanks.
The Sony site gives several options for the firmware update. I downloaded the update to a disc and it worked just fine.

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 19 Aug 2012, 01:26 am »
with OPPO you can also update with a CD that they will send you after you have registered your player with them. They send an e mail giving you the option. I have had 2 updates in approx 1 1/2 yrs

Hi David.

I wanted to buy the OPPO BDP-95 Blu-ray Disc Player,
but if I need the unit to be serviced,
I have to send it from Canada to the USA,
that's not something I would like to do,
too risky with FedEx and the same…

I want to have with the Blu-ray player a separate (RCA) audio output to play CDs with good result, as good as with my Rega Apollo.

I am interested on the Panasonic (Sorry don’t remember the model) it has a separate audio output.

Guy 13

Mr Peabody

« Reply #25 on: 19 Aug 2012, 03:25 am »
If you are wanting a Blu-ray player with excellent sound from the analog out look at the Cambridge Audio, I can't remember if it's the 751 or 851 that's the Universal player, but it's really getting rave comments for it's excellent sound and overall performance. 

This thread sort of sat for a while but when it took off it really took off :).  Thanks to all

Bemopti123

« Reply #26 on: 19 Aug 2012, 03:47 am »
What do you mean "non standard DVDs and files"?

AVI, MPEG and DIVX and other type of video files that do not involve having two sets of folders, one for audio and another one for video. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #27 on: 19 Aug 2012, 10:40 pm »
Seems like there's two folks now asking about blu-ray players - the original + Guy 13.

At the risk of being too pedantic, there are many factors which can affect both the video & audio quality of a blu ray player, so it's hard to say definitely whats the best choice for the money without considering those.  E.g. will it be used via a receiver or preamp / processor, and if so, how much is that unit doing the video & audio processing? If all / most, then the player to some degree just becomes a transport. And if the video & audio processing is superior on the receiver or pre/pro, these specs on the blu ray player becomes less relevant.

Honestly to me some other key non-audio / video performance issues would be how quick the unit is and the simplicity of firmware upgrades.  For these two reasons alone I like Panasonic blu-ray players : they are very fast in loading & whether they have ethernet only or wifi capability, the unit will tell you when a firmware upgrade is available, and those upgrades generally download & install quickly. Compare that with an early pioneer elite "videophile" player I had which was slow as molasses & required downloading then putting on dvd-r the firmware upgrades.

Only in perhaps Guy 13's case where he potentially wants to use the blu ray player as a cd player would I consider spending more for a higher end blu ray player like an Oppo or Cambridge Audio as they will have a better 2 channel audio dac's and analog section (or if your just doing analog audio pass through vs a receiver or pre/po).  But I wouldn't spend A LOT more as they are a lot of budget stand alone DAC's that are probably a better investment for 2 channel audio.

To summarize :

(1) all digital, particularly using a receiver or pre/po: a $100 - $200 Panasonic.
(2) analog audio out usage : a cambridge audio (presumably w/ Wolfson audio DAC's) or, if budget allows, an Oppo (ESS Sabre audio DAC).

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #28 on: 19 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm »
AVI, MPEG and DIVX and other type of video files that do not involve having two sets of folders, one for audio and another one for video.
Oooohhh.....gotcha. My bad.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug 2012, 10:48 pm »
Oh - and Guy 13 - having owned a Rega Apollo and a "high end" Pioneer Elite blu ray player w/ TWIN (vs just one for the Rega) same Wolfson audio DAC chips as Apollo, the Rega Apollo still was much better. 

I doubt that most Blu Ray players (including the Cambridge Audio), with the exception of perhaps of the Oppo's, are going to sound any better than your Apollo for 2 ch stereo.  I don't even think the new Rega Dac sounds substantially better than the Apollo.  I think you're going to have to go outside Rega & outside Blu Ray players to improve on the Rega Apollo sound for 2 channel audio. But I digress.....

Mr Peabody

« Reply #30 on: 20 Aug 2012, 02:41 am »
A friend has the new 751 and he is really raving about how good the sound is, apparently it's better than prior Cambridge units and they were already good.  I'm talking about music discs being played through the analog outs.  Several units use the same decoding chips it doesn't mean they will sound the same, it's what a player does in the analog domain that makes the most difference.  Here's a review on the 751

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews/cambridge-751bd-universal-3d-blu-ray-player/all-pages.html

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2012, 06:56 am »
I use a PS3 and get firmware updates at a rate of one a quarter roughly. Like Bob said there are no artifacts with DVD's and they look the best I've seen.

The HDD is for games, game saves, movie purchases, AUDIO purchases, I stream Music through Sony unlimited music service, movies through Netflix and 2 others that are available.

I'm disabled and use it to view or listen to some form of Media just about 24/7. I use a 46" SONY HDTV and notice quality upgrades when doing a firmware update almost every time. Its easy to use, versatile (I game also) and for 5 years has been totally reliable. I'll own another soon and give this one a rest, use it as a backup.

I've never seen Oppo use yet that I was aware off so I don't know about them for picture quality etc. but either one would be a great choice I think. :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #32 on: 20 Aug 2012, 08:31 am »

Hi all Audio Circle members.

My (Small) problem is the following.

I would like to play all my CD music on a Blu-ray player,
because my complete sound system will have to fit on one of those small A/V furniture, that will be located in my bedroom.

The small furniture will be holding the 42” flat screen TV,
Blu-ray player, turn-table, phono amplifier, a tube amplifier, headphone amplifier w/headphones, line conditioner, FM tuner, some CDs and LPs.

Therefore, if I can eliminated the Rega Apollo CD,
that would help a little.

I am not too demanding as far as sound quality goes,
after all my ears are almost 65 years hold.

What is the difference quality wise between the (Panasonic) Blu-ray player and the Rega Apollo?

I had in mind the OPPO 95 but it’s over budget (999USD) and having to send it to California for service is not what I want.

The Cambridge unit might be a good unit, but… That’s not what I had in mind.

I can get a good Panasonic Blu-ray player with separate audio RCA output for less than 500 USD.

I might keep the Rega Apollo and buy the Panasonic Blu-ray player and do a side by side evaluation and then decide if I will sell the Rega Aplollo, it’s too bad, because even if the Rega Apollo is a good unit, I won’t get much for it, probably not more than 300 USD.

Too bad, I paid new, almost three time that price.
Decision, decision decision…

Guy 13

Mr Peabody

« Reply #33 on: 20 Aug 2012, 11:16 pm »
If you go with a Panasonic and not happy with the sound you could add an external DAC later, Arcam and Cambridge make decent units around $400.00 give or take.  This would be an additional box but you could tuck it away some place, you wouldn't need regular access like another player would need. 

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #34 on: 21 Aug 2012, 12:00 am »
Guy
Get the Oppo BDP-95 or a used BDP-83SE.  I have both.
Mark

newzooreview

« Reply #35 on: 21 Aug 2012, 12:19 am »
Guy
Get the Oppo BDP-95 or a used BDP-83SE.  I have both.
Mark

Yes, if you want a Blu-Ray player for CD 2-channel, the 83SE or 95 are the way to go. Two used 83SEs on Audiogon right now. http://app.audiogon.com/listings/oppo-digital-bdp-83se-bd-analog-digital-cd-player

Mr Peabody

« Reply #36 on: 21 Aug 2012, 01:05 am »
Guy pretty much ruled out Oppo due to shipping to the U.S. so really from that point on we should try to help with alternative options.  Just as the Cambridge is out of his price, although you all will be hearing more buzz about these new models in the future I'm sure.

Mark, maybe you should introduce yourself so we realize the weight of your endorsement of Oppo, "get one because I have one". :) 

And,

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #37 on: 21 Aug 2012, 02:42 am »
I second the suggestion of buying / trying a Panasonic vs the Rega Apollo.  Having owned both those I'd be surprised if the Panasonic bettered it.  The Rega digital stuff is sometimes a bit warm / dark, but it really gets the rythmn down better than anything else I've heard. 

On the other hand, as another suggested, getting a $100 Panasonic blu ray + a +$400 Dac later as needed will probably top the Rega. Digital sound technology keeps improving and I think a +$400 DAC is going to sound better than a now almost 10 year old Rega Apollo.  Particularly if you're open minded & willing to take a chance on Chinese products.  E.g. I have a "Matrix Mini" I got for $275 used, but only goes for $350 new w/ remote, including shipping from china that really is very impressive.  Twin AD 1972 dac's, torroidal transfomer, balanced output, and digital preamp + headphone amp. They're sold from Ebay but also china dedicated audio e-tailers.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #38 on: 21 Aug 2012, 03:38 am »
Guy pretty much ruled out Oppo due to shipping to the U.S. so really from that point on we should try to help with alternative options.  Just as the Cambridge is out of his price, although you all will be hearing more buzz about these new models in the future I'm sure.

Mark, maybe you should introduce yourself so we realize the weight of your endorsement of Oppo, "get one because I have one". :) 

And,

Not what I said.  I have both does not say - get one because I have one.

Shipping between Canada and the US to Oppo is very easy, it's not like shipping to Vietnam where Guy previously lived.

They are great players at their price point and didn't want them discounted due to shipping.