Has anyone experimented with ERS inside a Stratos?

byteme

« on: 24 Dec 2003, 04:47 pm »
If so, what have results been?  If not, did you consider it and then reason out that it wasn't a good idea?

Thanks!  I've got a Stereo Extreme that I'm thinking of playing with...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2003, 08:44 pm »
I've heard that ERS doesn't react all to well with analog amps so I would be hesitant. Myself I left my Butler's alone, but my Sunfire processor was a different story. My personal advise would be to back off on the ERS and try dealing with EMI by trying Z-Sleeves, a product that takes ERS and concentrates it's effects 10 times. The power cord to the Extreme would benefit much more with a Z-sleeve than with ERS on the inside casing IMO. If I had had the opportunity to try Z-Sleeves earlier, I could have saved myself about a dozen sheets worth of adhesive-backed ERS. For what it's worth,,, :D Regards, Robin

byteme

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2003, 09:09 pm »
Quote from: satfrat
I've heard that ERS doesn't react all to well with analog amps so I would be hesitant. Myself I left my Butler's alone, but my Sunfire processor was a different story. My personal advise would be to back off on the ERS and try dealing with EMI by trying Z-Sleeves, a product that takes ERS and concentrates it's effects 10 times. The power cord to the Extreme would benefit much more with a Z-sleeve than with ERS on the inside casing IMO. If I had had the opportunity to try Z-Sleeves earlier, I could have save ...

I hear ya, and have read that same thing that's why I was hoping someone else had tried it and had some feedback.  I'm going to lay off it and save my sheets for the crossovers in my new speakers - whatever they end up being!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2003, 09:29 pm »
That might be the smart move to make, I was just reading an ad at A'gon for a set of floorstanding Merlins(I think) that had ERS lined inside, a factory upgrade option no less! Word's being around. :D Myself on my 4 Lorelei's, I cut a 2 1/2" circle of adhesive-backed ERS and punched a 3/4" hole in the center, then took off the WBT bearing screw an placed the ERS around the plastic ring so's not to be touching any metal. There's no way I'm going inside the units. (I hope?) These 4 Lorelei's are sounding incredibly deep btw, makes me wonder how the RoomPak will effect my spacious 10' well-like soundstage? It's not that I'm not in 7th heaven now with what I have but YOU made me want more with your room treatment rants. :o Thanks. :D Regards, Robin

byteme

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2003, 05:45 am »
It's not that I'm not in 7th heaven now with what I have but YOU made me want more with your room treatment rants.  Thanks.  Regards, Robin

Well, that's only fair.  Here I think I've made up my mind on speakers yet you continue to talk about how great the Lorelei's are sounding.  That coupled with how great the Groneberg TS Premium cable is sounding with the Stratos and I'm thinking - SYNERGY BABY!! -  and rethinking NOT getting Lorelei.  DAMN this is a hard decision.

To be sure, the bass you'll get with the 8th Nerve stuff seems like a lot more but for me it was really much higher quality, not so much one note or whatever frequency the room was reinforcing anymore.  So it may actually be less, but more - or I could be rambling....