Meridian F80 and AD88

jostber

Meridian F80 and AD88
« on: 18 Jan 2014, 06:26 pm »
I have one Meridian F80 and one AD88 small hifi systems. Both units have the bass firing downwards and I guess this make the table they stand on vibrate a bit. What is the best way to dampen this to get firm and defined bass?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Meridian F80 and AD88
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2014, 07:14 pm »
Replacing the little rubber bumpers under the F80 with Small Fat Dots should help considerably. Under the AD88, four Square Fat Dots. Combining a regular grungebuster Dot with each of the Fat Dots would likely be additionally beneficial with these units.

Fat Dots
grungebuster Dots

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

jostber

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2014, 07:22 pm »
Thanks. So it's better to replace the feet with dots, instead of just putting some Tenderfoots beside the feet?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2014, 09:13 pm »
Placing Tenderfoot isolation feet under the components would likely do very well. You don't want to lift these components much or you'll lose some of the acoustic aspect of the bass development. With the little speakers in these units, that would probably be considerable.

The Meridian units are sort of like cats and chickens in the same cage. Rack components like CD player, preamp, and amp usually do best with Tenderfoot isolation feet. Speakers are a different animal altogether when it comes to isolation--Fat Dots made with dBNeutralizer are virtually always best for speaker isolation. Adding a grungebuster Dot to the Fat Dot will achieve a hybrid that should address all aspects of these components very well. Dots can of course be placed alongside the stock footers if they are tall enough to lift the component free of the stock feet and if there is enough room.

If you should already have some Tenderfeet, I suggest giving them an audition under the Meridian units. The only way to know for sure how they would work with your components would be to give them a try. Otherwise, I recommend giving the Dots a try.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

jostber

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2014, 11:09 am »
Thanks, I think I will try out the Fat Dots.with Grungebuster Dots.