NYC advice needed

Sarchi

NYC advice needed
« on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:36 pm »
Visiting NYC next week and would like to find a good shop for tubes (also passive parts if possible).  Not looking for a high end or boutique place, nothing rare- even a music shop would be ok.  Brooklyn or lower Manhattan would be best.

Thanks, feel free to PM me or post here.

Levi

Re: NYC advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2011, 03:03 pm »
I used to buy tubes from Leeds in Brooklyn.  That is Leedsradio dot com make sure to call him because he operates in a warehouse.

Nowadays I have been buying from online retailers because of better selection and availability of the tubes that I use. 

Sarchi

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2011, 06:26 pm »
Thanks a lot Levi, that looks like the kind of place I had in mind. 

Any other recos in case Leeds doesn't work out?

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:02 pm »
It depends what type of tubes you are looking for.  I knew a few audiophiles here who are selling their tubes.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:15 am »
I used to buy tubes from Leeds in Brooklyn.  That is Leedsradio dot com make sure to call him because he operates in a warehouse.

Nowadays I have been buying from online retailers because of better selection and availability of the tubes that I use.

+1.  Think the guy's name is Richard?  Old age is not reliable anymore... :thumb:
With Leeds you may be able to get some vintage tubes easier?  His prices are I would say fair.  I've been there several times.  Just across Williamsburg Bridge from Manhattan.  If going by subway, I'm not sure how to get there.  Just ask him.  There should be a station not far from him.

Sarchi

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:58 pm »
I'm staying in Brooklyn downtown & have access to a car, so it looks easy to get there on the BQE.

The tubes I'm looking for are pretty common:  5881, 12AX7, 6922, 12AU7, 5Y3.

Thanks again!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:29 pm »
I'm staying in Brooklyn downtown & have access to a car, so it looks easy to get there on the BQE.

Thanks again!

Not many tube vendors in NY. If ya feel the need to listen come on over to my home for a listen and a beer. PM if interested. Pipedreams and SETs.

charles

Sarchi

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2011, 04:44 pm »
Weird...blame that on ebay I guess.  Thanks for the offer Charles, I would love to come by and listen but between the conference and the lady friend I dragged along, I don't think I'll have any time.

OK....I'm in downtown Brooklyn and resistance is low.  Are there any must visit record shops I should hit?  It's been ten and a half years since I last came down here.  :D

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2011, 09:25 pm »
For classical records, hit up on Academy Records in NYC. I believe they are in 17th St and 5th Ave. Call for their hours or selection.

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2011, 11:02 pm »
For classical records, hit up on Academy Records in NYC. I believe they are in 17th St and 5th Ave. Call for their hours or selection.

Hey!

Yes, Academy still have classical LPs but it is much smaller now than couple of years ago. Now mostly CDs there. But still worth a visit if are going to be the area around there. Last time I was there I saw lots of cheap old classical box set there. :D

Also, there are couple of stores around Bleecker street NOHO area... Generation Records, Bleecker Street Records, Rebel Rebel. Also, near by Broadway on 4th street there is Other Music. The first two do carry bought new and used. Rebel Rebel and Other Music do have lot of new stuffs and current releases. :D

If you are adventurous. There are flea markets during the weekend around 6th ave. 25th and 26th street. There are 1 or 2 vendors exclusively selling LPs and of course others with everything else  with some LPs throw in. :D Sometime you find stuff you like and sometime not. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Sarchi

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2011, 02:19 am »
Thanks- I think I've been to some of those Bleecker shops and others around the East Village.  I read some reviews on yelp and decided to try Academy Annex tonight in Williamsburg.  Pretty disappointing I have to say.  We still have record shops of that calibre in Toronto- tho not as many as we used to.  I found almost nothing of interest outside of the new arrivals table.  Huh.  On the upside, we hung out in another cool Brooklyn neighborhood (Bedford St), and the sushi was good.  :thumb:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2011, 08:25 pm »

Thanks again!

e-mail and inquire with him ahead of time would be a good idea?! :thumb:

Sarchi

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2011, 02:17 am »
Made a stop at Bleecker Bob's this evening, it's in the Village on 3rd St.  They had a few interesting things in rock (as in "rarities").  e.g. some Dylan and Beatles items in the $25-50 range.  I picked up the ff at Bob's:
Rickie Lee Jones- Girl At Her Volcano 10" LP $10
Richard & Linda Thompson- First Light $8
Gordon Lightfoot- If I Could Read Your Mind  $10

And last night at AA:
Roger Waters- The Final Cut $8
Bob Dylan- Oh Mercy $5
Cat Stevens- Tea For The Tillerman $3
Tracy Chapman- st  $3
Ellington Indigos $3

AA's pricing seems a little better, they also had more stock, more obscure stuff, and better air quality (I've got a wicked cough and Bob's was pretty grungy).  The Duke is a late pressing, in great shape and priced fair.  Same for the other $3 finds...now I can finally give away my noisy old copy of Cat.  The Final Cut also looks really minty.  As far as the Lightfoot- I believe (90% sure) I have this very same Reprise LP at home, but under the title Sit Down Young Stanger.  ??  Not sure what's up with that, but it seemed like something I had to find out.