How is everyone doing during Hurricane Sandy?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
How is everyone doing during Hurricane Sandy?
« on: 30 Oct 2012, 02:41 am »
Still have power in SoMD.  How is everyone doing out there? 

medium jim

Re: How is everyone doing during Hurricane Sandy?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2012, 02:47 am »
My Nephew resides in Prospect Heights (Brooklyn) and is doing fine.  My Niece lives in Boston and is without electricity, but otherwise is okay.

Jim

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2012, 03:14 am »
Sister north of DC reports lots of rain and wind, but no problems so far.  Since we had the foresight to move out of the hurricane zone to CA, we are doing fine!

Not such a good night for NYC and vicinity, though.  I just saw that NYU is evacuating their hospital because their generators failed, and Bellevue is within a couple hours of no fuel for theirs.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2012, 10:07 am »
Waiting to hear from friends in the NJ area as to how they are.  This might take awhile. 

The storm intensity has dropped here.  Still raining, but the winds are down.

shadowlight

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2012, 10:52 am »
No power or internet since around 4pm yesterday in South Brunswick / Princeton area.  Running on generator for now but no music  :(.  Pretty sure I have some roof damage missing shingles but not sure on how much damage.  Definitely have water dripping in from couple of spots in the attic when I checked couple of minutes ago.  It is still raining but the wind has died down.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2012, 12:37 pm »
Must have lost power for a couple of hours overnight.  Will check outside for roof shingles or siding damage in a bit.  Was pretty windy with gusts probably approaching 70MPH.  Can't imagine what it was like being in the actual path.  Was bad enough where I am.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2012, 03:03 pm »
We've had 50 mph winds way up here in Michigan for more than a day.  Can't imagine being right in the middle of this thing.  All I can see so far is my grill cover has been shredded from the wind - so laughable damage compared to the coast damages.  Hope it doesn't take too long to get back to normal for you.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2012, 03:18 pm »
Just outside of Boston and while we didn't get anything close to what NY/NJ did, we weren't left unscathed either.  Winds were very strong and lasted a long time, causing a good amount of damage due to down trees.  Unlike last year, no trees went down in my yard.   :thumb:

My power was out for about 22 hours and just came back on an hour ago.  Worse than many in my immediate area, but not nearly as bad as it is for others.

I just talked to my sister who lives in Midtown and said that she has power and that things weren't too bad in her neck of the woods.  Sounds like NJ, lower Manhattan, Queens, and Long Island took the biggest beating.

Wishing all of you minimal damage and fast restoral of power.

George

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2012, 03:18 pm »
My company is in Princeton, and we are closed for the day. Several coworkers suffered major power outages and are dealing with the aftermath of the storm. I'm very thankful my trip was canceled because I don't know how I would've gotten home. Good luck to everyone in the area.  Hopefully, your area was not hit as bad as some places I've seen on the news.  My boss lives near Point Pleasant and his house was hit pretty hard.  Stay safe!  Falling trees are still a major hazard.

Normal spring day in Chicago.  I'm hoping the high winds blow the leaves off my lawn.

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2012, 03:46 pm »
My company is based in New Brunswick so all of the NJ sites are closed again today. Most of my regular contacts who live in the NJ area have been without power so no remote access for them either. Fortunately, reports mostly via text messages are that all from our immediate team are safe.

We're lucky. NE Indiana is just a bit windy and wet, with some sleet thrown in last night for good measure.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2012, 03:52 pm »
Here in NH, no deaths, fair amount of property damage, 180,000 homes without power. Fortunately, it's not cold. I went unscathed, in fact I've got fewer leaves to rake.

Doc

tonyptony

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2012, 04:43 pm »
Here in South Jersey (greater Philly area). Wind was pretty bad in my neighborhood, which had me worried since my house is surrounded by trees! Fortunately nothing more than some branch falling activity (so far). Didn't notice any damage but will get a better look when I'm home later. Power went out for about 4 hours late at night / early morning. Light forestry debris this morning as I was driving out of our community.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2012, 05:21 pm »
Pretty much back to normal here in SoMD.  The rain has stopped and after taking a look outside, looks like just some debris, but no damage! 

Good luck up north with the clean-up!

Scottdazzle

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:32 am »
Here in northern Virginia all is well. We had wind and rain, but no floods or serious wind damage. Our best wishes go out to our friends in NJ and NY who suffered great losses.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:42 am »
Yes, hope we hear from rollo and lonewolfny42 up in NYC to see how they are doing.

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2012, 04:54 am »
Compared to others we did OK here in southeast VA (Hampton Roads area).  Many low lying areas did flood (our neighborhood did not), but we didn't suffer much wind damage or widespread power outages (we didn't lose power).  One of the tunnels was shut down yesterday as a precaution (it flooded badly in Isabell).

This was certainly the longest lasting storm I've experienced here in the past 35 years.  It started Saturday and we're still feeling the effects today.

My thoughts are with those who were greatly/severely impacted by this storm.

DTB300

« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:26 pm »
Nothing major up in the Rockville area...at least for us.   Some tree limbs and small trees down around the neighborhood, and no power outages - rare for us....

It was basically just a rain storm coming through with some gusts of winds.  Worst times were 6pm-9pm is when the winds picked up, then started to die down after 9pm...

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2012, 02:26 pm »
Here in So Jersey, right near Tony, we had no problems at all, just lights flickered a couple of times, except internet was down until this morning and no cell service, or at least very, very spotty service with no 3G or wifi, until today.  So this is my first chance to check in on AC, go figure.  Although the main storm hit NJ square on, it veered off south over the Delaware Bay dropping most of the rain in Delaware and Northern MD.

Hearts go out to those at the Shore who got devastated by Sandy.