Audio meeet 8/29 at Art's in Ft. Worth......

KCI-JohnP

Audio meeet 8/29 at Art's in Ft. Worth......
« on: 31 Aug 2009, 03:09 pm »
I wanted to start a new thread on the meet at Arts house here so we could post our thoughts and some good pictures(if you've got em). So here we go;

Ok fellow Texans, ever wonder how a bunch of New Yorkers are kicking some Texans butts with their RAVE parties???  :nono: Well it's because they are excited about it and they post their thoughts, they express their excitement/feelings by posting that's how. They post pictures of the gear, the people, hell they even post pictures of the food!! So lets show some Texas pride and step up to the plate and express our gratitude for the people that went well out of their way to make sure we all enjoyed ourselves.  :thumb: I don't have much of a way with words but I had a damn good time and met some really great people so here are my thoughts;

Wow, what a great audio meet! I wanted to start this off by thanking Art and his wonderful family for all the great food, hospitality as well as them opening their home up to all of us. I showed up a day early so I could help with setup etc and I watched as his wonderful wife Kathy worked her butt off until 1:30 a.m. Saturday morning and it was clearly obvious she had been working on it well before I got there Friday afternoon. Art had been busting his butt as well, even his young son had to go pick up a load of food, so thank you to both of you for all your hard work and hospitality!! Art you are truly blessed; you have a wonderful family, beautiful home and a top tier listening room-I'm jealous!! Seriously though, it was great and I enjoyed myself immensely.

Thank you to Kim from Cresendo systems for lugging those gigantic electrostats to Arts, very cool speakers. The first words that come to mind are Gentle Giants, I loved hearing the wonderful airy detail these speakers could throw out there. It's a darn shame we didn't get them hooked up correctly and singing until the end of the day but they still did a fine job and I think people really enjoyed them.

Danny Richie showed up with a set of "surprise speakers" and they were a real treat! I believe these are called the "Venuette or V2". How the hell can Danny make such a small(relatively speaking here) set of speakers sound so big?? Leave it to Danny, he never ceases to amaze with his designs. The custom amp boxes Danny showed up with were of a beautiful design using technology most of us just aren't accustomed too. Finely crafted by hand, they used some type of special corrugated wood type material that is surely to catch on and start a new trend!!(Sorry Danny, had to give you at least some lip on them!!) Danny was also sporting some of those very cool and very effective Majik and Ubberbuss power conditioners built by the hands of Brian at PI Audio. They seem to perform WELL above their price point and I can't wait to get my hands on one of those babies! Great job Brian!

And then there was Gary Dodd from Dodd Audio; his new tiny tube amp/preamp combo running off of a damn car battery left everyone amazed! Talk about quiet, wow! Once again it appears that Gary has hit a home run with this combo and I'm sure there are going to be some very happy Audiophiles when they get their hands on these babies-talk about little amp-big stick!! The amp/preamp were very well built, surprisingly heavy for their size and solid as a rock, just beautiful little pieces of art. As always, fantastic work by Gary.

Aaron Lindsey from Appogg Systems showed up early Saturday morning with Art's brand new isolation platforms and man are they beautiful! Aaron quickly popped one under each of the VAC Phi 300.1's and worked away at getting them perfectly lined up and placed correctly. Art fired the system back up and I could hear the improvement right off the bat; blacker background here we come!! Art even mentioned to me later on the next day that they took about 60% of a transformer humm that he's been struggling with away! Aaron, congratulations on making such a fine product and all by hand-your hand, fine work sir!

Then there was Nhan from PhenomeNhan Audio sporting his new Onix gear, what happened here?? Since when did Onix start hanging around with the likes of Linn, MBL, Wadia etc??? I mean the gear was beautiful! The Onix Reference XCD-50 CDP looked like a million bucks and sounded really nice as well. I also had my eye on the Onix XIA-160 integrated amp sitting there all by it's lonesome, sure was pretty but we never got a chance to hear her strut her stuff-there just wasn't enough time in the day. Really nice looking gear that would make anyone proud to own and at prices that will make you smile.

Now don't even get me started on Art's gear I mean please; VAC, Vitus, more VAC, LS-9's it was glorious. We had Brian Ding's from Rythmik Audio beautiful looking and sounding Rythmik subwoofers rocking the house! Lucky for us Brian himself was there with soldering iron in hand! Dude whipped up a quick set of 1st order crossovers for Art like it was nothing!! We would change something in the system and try to re-tune the subs, of course we just screwed it up more, so off we'd go looking for Brian. How in the hell can Brian wonder into the room and tune two subs perfectly in 1 minute or less?? Jeez, it takes me weeks! There was so much talent roaming around Art's house it wasn't even funny, I think I even got a glimpse of Albert Porter but unfortunately I missed the opportunity to meet him....oh well maybe next time.

The party was a blast, I had the opportunity to meet some very fine people, eat some great food and listen to some great gear. If I have forgotten anyone please forgive me, I'm terrible with names and I met so many great people I'm still trying to figure out "who's who" so forgive me if I failed to mention you or your gear. Kathy and Art, fantastic job on the meet!! My family enjoyed themselves immensely and I can only hope my next meet is a fraction of yours.....

Thank you to everyone there, my wife and I enjoyed meeting and talking to everyone of you!

PS-I have some photos, now lets see if I can figure out how to post the darn things.....

Sincerely,
John

aml161

Re: Audio meeet 8/29 at Art's in Ft. Worth......
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2009, 03:42 pm »
Well said, John!

Art and Kathy put together an incredible spread, and kept the energy up the entire day. Everyone attending, too, was really cool.

This is surely something that should go down in the audio meet record books.

Thanks again Art. Let me know when you're in Austin. Sarah and I would love to take you out.

Aaron

carusoracer

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:08 pm »
Okay, great rewrite up and now I have to be jealous of two circles and raves :lol:Quite the ensemble of talent as mentioned above. I think the questions would never have ceased from my end to all those designers.
Sounds like everything went well, Congrats Art!

scottfox

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:14 pm »
I want to second the opinions above- Art & Kathy hosted a great get together. The equipment, & more important the sound was amazing. When Danny brought his battery powered system upstairs, I was blown away. A compact tower speaker powered by a 15watt Dodd tube amp for the highs & mids was amazing..  I kept looking for the energizer bunny :lol:  He built the cabinets over the last 2 weeks, & they looked fantastic! I was also surprised at how much bottom end they had considering the were an open baffle design. They were powered by some custom amps in custom boxes, not by the 15 watt tube amp  :green:  Danny- great system at a great price!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:22 pm »
Great post John.

Can't wait to see more pics.

One of these days I need to make it over to Art's...

George

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2009, 06:30 pm »
Excellent summary John.

Now where is the event's photographer? :)

arthurs

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:44 pm »
Wonderful post John, I will add some thoughts and some pictures tonight!

Of course, John left off his terrific cables and the positive difference we all heard when they were put in the downstairs system....they have always made a positive difference in my system upstairs!  :thumb:  His new Silkworm+ is really something and it was easily audible this past weekend!  :green:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:25 pm »
Thanks for the responses so far, it was a great event. I have photos but the .gov firewall won't let me onto my photo hosting site so I guess I'll try when I get home.

George, you really do need to get by there when you get a chance, you'll enjoy the experience. Have Art show you the cow up on the hill... :lol:

John

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:28 pm »
Art held a grand opening to his newly formed SA Cattle Ranch too?  :lol:
Thanks for the responses so far, it was a great event. I have photos but the .gov firewall won't let me onto my photo hosting site so I guess I'll try when I get home.

George, you really do need to get by there when you get a chance, you'll enjoy the experience. Have Art show you the cow up on the hill... :lol:

John

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:39 pm »

John

In my defense, I was really hammered, and it was really dark and there was mooing coming from that general direction...everyone agreed with me until daylight.... :finger:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:44 pm »
Hammered?? Mooing?? :rotflmao: Yeah that damn cow is still standing right there too isn't he!?!  :peek:

Oh Hugh, wish you could've been there......

arthurs

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:52 pm »
Hammered?? Mooing?? :rotflmao: Yeah that damn cow is still standing right there too isn't he!?!  :peek:

Oh Hugh, wish you could've been there......

Oh yeah, you were wasted too, you probably don't remember you and your wife going "what's that noise?"  "Is it over there?"  "yeah, I'm sure it's a cow" and then with my super sensitive night vision I spotted the very realistic outline of the rare bush-cow against the horizon on the hillside...he is still there today, quite a stoic bastard is he....  :lol:

arthurs

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:54 pm »

John

Yep Hugh, our slogan is "Our Cattle Make the Best Salads"

arthurs

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2009, 08:57 pm »
My selection of pictures to post is changing with every one of John's posts....   :lol: :nono:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2009, 09:00 pm »
Remember I'm not a Texan so your twang shot right over my head, literally and figuratively speaking. ;) :)

John

Yep Hugh, our slogan is "Our Cattle Make the Best Salads"

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2009, 09:01 pm »
It looks like I REALLY missed a great time.

I got to be there next time, hopefully soon.

When do you think my room will be ready SA? :D

sl_1800

« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2009, 09:37 pm »
Thanks Art, I believe everyone had a great time, I know Patrick and I sure did.  Your room has inspired me to work on the acoustics of my listening room.  Oh heck it's only time and money!!!!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 31 Aug 2009, 11:16 pm »
Dammit...I knew that I was missing a primo event, but I was obligated to be in the mountains of Big Bend.  Sounds exactly like what I expected- great sound and comraderie.

arthurs

« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2009, 12:13 am »
A few pics.....

The exceptional Appogg Isolation Platforms

Setup begins....Yes Nhan, both ends are the same..

The Onix player was really sweet

Something new from Gary Dodd

The new battery amp from Dodd Audio

Woofer amps for Danny's V2 (done in waterfall corrugate)

Good friends and good times

The big Crescendo Stats in the upstairs room

Downstairs setup completed

Good food

Good friends

KCI John

arthurs

« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2009, 12:37 am »
A couple more...

The business end of the KCI Silkworm + IC's and Pegasus + Digital cable

and a pair of the Rythmik Signature 12" subs was bringing home the low tones...

I'm pretty sweet on her, and she tolerated alot from all of us...

and finally...SEE JOHN!  COWS!!!! ON THE HILL!!! (and maybe a bush...)